Andrea

Best way of public transportation around Los Angeles?

I will be in LA in November. I will be staying at the Residence inn Marriott LA live. I have to rely on public transportation for this time and I want to go to Santa Monica/Venice beach for a day. What is the best way to go there? I heard about the Blue bus but the reviews are not quite nice to be honest. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Supun from Carson (California)

Hi

Keep in mind that LA's public transportation isn't as good as most other big cities in the world. The big blue bus in not so bad. I think the Metro buses are slightly worse. They are getting better with things like getting alerts on smart phones. The public transportation doesn't really cater to tourists that well unless you're going to Korea town or Hollywood, so taking an Uber (~$20-25) or Lyft car like others suggested might be the better option depending how bad traffic is. The buses are meant for workers to get to their jobs daily at a cost effective rate without having to drive, so it won't cost more than $2 to go one way.

To get to Santa Monica Beach, you can take a bus (R10 Santa Monica Express or Metro Rapid line 733) from the corner of Grand & Olympic. Here's the google maps directions. It will take an hour to get there.

To get to Venice it will take an hour and a half. You want to get to the Pico Station and then take the Expo line all the way to the end at the Culver City Station. From there, hop over to the Culver City Light Rail Station and take that all the way to Washinging Blvd/Strong Dr. If you get hungry along the way check out Native Foods Cafe by the Culver City Station. Here's the google map with detailed instructions.

1. Pico Station (attraction)
  2. Culver City Station (attraction)
  3. Native Foods Cafe (restaurant)

Elissa from Los Angeles

UBER! The public transportation in LA is quite terrible. There are a few trains and the buses aren't terrible, but most Angelenos use Uber or Lyft to get around. Uberpool is awesome if there are one or two of you and you have a little bit of time. But in general, I recommend downloading both apps and using those to get around!

Otherwise, the train from downtown will get you to Hollywood and a few other places, so you could do that then uber from there if that's on your schedule.

PS the worst times to head out in LA are from 7am-9am and 4pm-7pm, so if you can avoid those times with Uber or Lyft you'll be doing yourself a favor! ;)

Hope that helps!

Fritzi from San Francisco

In order to rely on public transportation in LA you must have patience and do your homework.  I decided to vacation in LA and visit San Pedro, Anaheim and downtown LA without a car.  If I asked anybody a question about connections, nobody, even the bus driver, had a clue about how to get to the next place.  However, I arrived safely, and got from Anaheim to downtown LA for 85 cents. It took 2 hours and I saw some parts of LA I had never seen (I was born in LA).

It's very time consuming to be navigating LA via public transit.  However, you have been given some excellent instructions and I think you can do it.  Since you only have one specific destination, you should be able to get there. Taking public transit is thrifty.  If you want to spend more money, call Uber or Lyft.

Richelle from Los Angeles

Uber!

debbie from Santa Monica

Ideal way to get around LA is by car. Otherwise you could try Lyft.

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Sorry. Public transport here sucks. You will need Uber, Lyft, or a taxi.

Veronica from West Covina

I think Uber would be the best and cheapest way.