Nancy
Birmingham (Alabama)

Nancy from Birmingham (Alabama) asked

Best tour companies for small groups

My husband and I are heading out to LA in February to visit our son, and would love to explore the city during the day while he is at work.  What are your favorite tour companies for a small group to get a real feel for the city? I love the tours by Glitteritours, but can't afford the $300 - $500 price tag.

Breanna from Los Angeles

Hi Nancy! I haven't personally used this company, but I've heard great things from others about ToursbyLocals.com. It seems like they cover just about everything and the guides are all locals, so you'll be in great hands! Happy travels!

Nancy
Breanna, I really appreciate your great suggestion! I've always dreamed of coming to LA, and we want to make the most of our 5 days there. Your idea sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Let me help you if you ever need suggestions on a trip to the deep South!

JP from Sherman Oaks, California

Hi, just beware that some of these tour companies are not good. I went on a ride a long years ago for a possible job and they admitted to me that they made up stuff about celebrities homes and such. I do know a great tour company called http://www.esotouric.com/ I know these people and they are really great. 

Peter from Munich

Hi there,

I did a bit of research and found this tour:

http://www.alllosangelestours.com/body.asp?tour=LAX-B0064&page=TourDetails

The company offers more tours, but this is the Grand LA Tour as they call it. They will give you a glimpse on the best sights in LA. It is an 8 hour tour with various stops. The price of ~74$ seems resonable for that big tour and they have a best price gurantee. So maybe you can do some research and get some dollars off.

I personally never took a tour in the LA area, just explored by mself. Set goals what I wanted to see and headed off...

Nancy
Peter, this sounds great! I really appreciate your taking time to help us. My husband and I always try to see as much of the city as we can, and then go back and enjoy our favorite parts. Your comprehensive tour is an amazing price and a perfect way to see a lot of the city. Thanks for your suggestion------let me know if you need any help in planning a trip to the deep South!

Sue from Yorba Linda

One of our total fave things to do in LA is to take in one of the LA Conservancy Tours.... I've learned more about Los Angeles on these tours than I have being a native So. Cal. Gal!

If you love rich history and knowing how LA came to be built... these are the tours for you. at https://www.laconservancy.org/events-and-tours
you can see the upcoming tours & dates. We've taken 4-5 of them and have always come out in awe! The docents are highly knowledgeable and have been great to answer questions and go with the flow of the group. The tours are themed, we've done the Angelino Heights tour, Broadway Historic Theatre and Commercial District, LA City Hall, & the Art Deco tours. At ten dollars per tour it's a steal. Most tours take 3-4 hours.

Nancy
Sue----this is exactly what I've been looking for!!! You are the best----I appreciate your taking the time to help out a fellow traveler. If you ever need help in or around Birmingham, AL, I'm your girl! I've been a docent on our historic Downtown Tour and I know my husband and I will thoroughly enjoy your wise advice. Thank you!!

Nancy
Sue, I am so glad we took your advice and made reservations for the Historic Downtown Tour run by the LA Conservancy Walking Tours!! It was so much fun---a gorgeous day with a small group and an outstanding docent made it a day I'll never forget. From LA's first skyscraper to the historic Bradbury Building (the setting for the iconic film "Blade Runner"), we were drawn in to the history of this city at each step. Lunch at the Grand Central Market, built in 1905 and featuring cuisines from all over the world, was a perfect end to a fabulous day. Many, many thanks for your recommendations!!