Katerina

Best sunrise hike in LA?

I'm new to LA and want to try a sunrise hike at least once. Where's your favorite place to go?!

Spencer from Los Angeles

So I have a handful of recommendations. The easiest with the lowest barrier of entry is Runyon Canyon Park. You don't have to get there super early and you can get to one of the peaks pretty quickly to see the sunrise. 

Griffith Park, as others have mentioned, is great. I'd probably park at Griffith Observatory and then take one of the hikes that leave from the parking lot there. 

However, you may consider doing the Hollywood Sign hike. There are a few different trails, though I'd recommend the Hollyridge Trail, which is just 3.5 miles round-trip. A fence surrounds the sign, but you can still get right behind it and pretty close, with great views of the city.

My last tip would be to go a day following a rain shower (which right now is never), as the following day is the best for sunrise/sunset when all the smoggy air has washed off temporarily.

Griffith Observatory

1. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Griffith Park (attraction)
  3. Griffith Observatory (attraction)
  4. Hollywood Sign (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Katerina, 

Welcome to Los Angeles! I would agree with Runyon Canyon Park. Walks up to Griffith Observatory are also beautiful. You'll get an amazing view of los angeles and there may not be as many people. Although if you go at sunrise, you'll avoid either crowd. 

- Kristal

For food recommendations in LA, check out Eat and Escape

1. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Griffith Observatory (attraction)

Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

Hi Katerina,

Runyon Canyon Park would definitely be a good place 

for a sunrise hike in Los Angeles :) If you're looking for more L.A. tips, check out our blog post about Top 10 things to do in L.A.

Cheers! 

Mei & Kerstin from OpenUpNow.net

1. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Los Angeles (city)

Rylee from California

the hike to the Hollywood Sign is a pretty one and easy to medium range 

1. Hollywood Sign (attraction)