Gordon
Ojai

Los Angeles, Downtown Los Angeles

Best spots to eat in Downtown without a reservation?

What are the best places to venture to last minute that don't require a reservation. Looking for great food, interesting cocktails and overall a nice casual environment. Happy to sit at bar, too.

Andrew from Manhattan Beach

My recent favorite is Cole's for their famous beef dip sandwich and spicy garlic fries.  It's a short walk from Staples Center and they are open until midnight or 2am depending on the day.  The place has a unique history formerly operating as a cable car repair garage as well as a speak-easy -- something to discuss over a few cable car cocktails.

1. Cole's (restaurant)
  2. Staples Center (attraction)

Jillian from Los Angeles

Bestia for italian, but here's the deal. Reservations are a little hard to get in advance, so you need to get there right when they open at 5pm and grab seats at the bar. The bartenders are really nice and you shouldn't have a problem getting in at this time. It's worth it, trust me.

Bar Ama. Sit at the bar and order their off menu puffy tacos. Yum.

Library Bar has great staff, very friendly, and they have these pork belly skewers that are really good, I usually get two orders when I go. It can get pretty busy/loud later in the night and there are no tables, but its a fun vibe.

Sixth Street Tavern is right next door and has a more flushed out food menu if you want something more than snack food.

Faith & Flower is a bit nicer than both, its at the ground floor of the Watermarke building and is split into a restaurant and bar area. Love their cocktails, a little pricer than others.

1. Bestia (restaurant)
  2. Bar Ama (attraction)
  3. Library Bar (attraction)
  4. Sixth Street Tavern (restaurant)
  5. Faith & Flower (restaurant)

Mira from Los Angeles

Bestia is an absolute MUST.

I can't get enough of this restaurant. I love coming here at sitting at the bar, it is my favorite "bar dine" in Los Angeles. I love the ambiance sitting at the bar with the dimly lit lights above me. The bar is pretty spacious, I never feel overcrowded with my plates and drinks. Keep in mind that the bar is first come first serve so the earlier you get here, the better!

Great drink options here. The bartenders are extremely knowledgeable, they even customize drinks to what you like and what you don't like. 

The food is spectacular. My current favorite is the burrata and peach salad, they pair so perfectly together! 

If you're downtown, make it a priority to come here, you won't regret it :) 

1. Bestia (restaurant)

Drew from Ojai

Hands down, Bestia. This place is popular for a reason. This is a great spot downtown, probably one of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles. I've been here multiple times and the food is really good (I recommend trying their bone marrow plate). They have a great drink menu here as well but just a heads up, get here early. The later you go the more likely you will need a reservation. I've always come here around 5pm and have no problem sitting at the bar. 

Faith & Flower is a fun, laid back spot. I like coming here with a small group of friends. Definitely fun for a younger crowd. Food is excellent and same goes for the drinks. 

1. Bestia (restaurant)
  2. Faith & Flower (restaurant)

Alec from Los Angeles

Mas Malo is a good Mexican restaurant downtown with margaritas and other cocktails. Usually easy to get in without a wait. Bottega Louie is another good option.

1. Mas Malo (restaurant)
  2. Bottega Louie (restaurant)

Valerie from Los Angeles

Hey Gordon! Here are some of my favorites:

Faith & Flower- As Jillian previously mentioned, it is a little on the pricey side, but worth it! Lovely ambience with great food and drink options. 

Church & State- Can't miss this one. The food here is delicious and I feel in love with the atmosphere. Dimly lit, not too loud and they had great music playing. I had the steak tartar and it did not disappoint. Perfectly cooked. Again, pricey but worth it. 

Ace Hotel Los Angeles- This is a good spot for a more intimate setting, not ideal for large groups but still fun! The Ace Hotel has a more hipster, laid back vibe to it if you're looking for something more low key. This is a good place to grab dinner and drinks during the week, it can get a bit crowded on the weekends. 

The Standard Downtown LA- The Standard is a popular spot in downtown. This is a great place for special events, it is very upscale and it has a gorgeous view of Los Angeles up on the rooftop bar. Excellent drinks are made here, and the restaurant does not disappoint either. Very friendly staff and very accommodating to large groups. 

1. Faith & Flower (restaurant)
  2. Church & State (restaurant)
  3. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)
  4. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)

Staci from Cleveland

Hey Gordon! I think you can get into most places without a reservation in L.A. Live Way. I walked right into The Farm of Beverly Hills when I was traveling for business there in May. There are a handful of restaurants. Check out the website! http://www.lalive.com/

1. L.A. Live Way (attraction)
  2. The Farm of Beverly Hills (restaurant)

John from Carlsbad (California)

One new Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurant downtown that is getting great reviews is called 10e Restauranthttp://www.10erestaurant.com/ .  It looks like it has a bar where you can eat.

1. 10e Restaurant (restaurant)

Matt from Los Angeles

I really enjoyed going to Mo-Chica. I walked up with my brother one night at peak dinner hours (7:30ish) and got seated pretty quickly.  It's pervisual fusion from the popular chef Ricardo Zirate. We split one entree and a bunch of apps. It was really tasty and I loved their drinks - tasty, weird, and stiff. I'm gonna email my buddy who knows ALL things LA food... stay tuned! 

1. Mo-Chica (restaurant)

Andrew from Manhattan Beach

If it happens to be a Tuesday, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't hit up Casa La Dona for their $1 tacos. Let me repeat... ONE DOLLAR TACOS!

1. Casa La Dona (restaurant)