Casey
Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Best place to surf close to Downtown LA

Staying in Downtown LA for a week to work in our LA office, which is also Downtown.  I've never been before, but I hear it's a great town for surfing, so I'd love to get my surf on while I'm out there, probably early mornings, evenings, and maybe on the weekend.

Any suggestions for beaches to go to?  I'll have a car to drive places.  And of course, I wouldn't have any surfing gear, so if there's a beach that has a surfing gear rental shop on it, that would be rad.

Trevor from Los Angeles

Downtown LA isn't too close to the beach, but if you're looking to surf early in the morning you should be able to make it to Venice Beach or  Santa Monica in about 25 minutes without traffic. If you need to be at work in Downtown that same morning you'll need to start your surf session super ealy to make it back to Downtown before traffic builds up. Of the two towns, you'll more easily find a rental shop in Venice - however that early in the morning they may not be open.

I'd say wait for the evenings or the weekend and head to Hermosa Beach or  Manhattan Beach. Both are super chill and classic Southern California towns where you'll always find people surfing near both town's respective piers.

You won't have a problem finding a place to rent a surfboard in Manhattan Beach and especially Hermosa Beach. Have fun!

1. Venice Beach (attraction)
  2. Santa Monica (city)
  3. Manhattan Beach (city)
  4. Hermosa Beach (city)