Jenna
Providence

Best itinerary for 2 days in Los Angeles?

My husband and I are headed to L.A. for two days next month. Generally, we’re much more into off the beaten path places than tourist attractions but there are a few mainstream places we’d definitely like to see. Can someone tell us if this itinerary seems about right? It’s not set in stone so feel free to add/subtract. We’d also love some ideas for places to eat around where we’re thinking of going. Thanks! P.S. We’ll have a car so that’s no problem. 

Day One:

• Getty Center
  • Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade & lunch
  • Santa Monica Boardwalk
  • Venice boardwalk 
  • If there’s a baseball game go to Dodger’s Stadium. If not, maybe Staples Center for a concert. 
  • Nightcap somewhere downtown? 

Day Two

• Hollywood Walk of Fame 
  • Grauman’s Chinese Theater 
  • Dolby Theater
  • The Grove/Farmer’s Market/La Brea tar pits 
  • Beverly Hills 
  • Universal City 
  • Drink in the Valley 

Vicky from Los Angeles

I totally agree with Courtney's answer, though I'd add  Blue Plate Oysteretteright off 3rd St Promenade by the ocean as a lunch option (I love going there for sunset, oysters, mussels and wine!) and  Gjelinaon Abbott Kinney (get a table in the lovely jasmine-scented patio). If you're into burgers, Umami Burgerhas branches in Hollywood, La Brea, The Grove, Santa Monica, and Studio City (my favorite). For Day One, I suggest sticking to the west side. Trying to get to downtown from the west side can be pure torture! Maybe have your nightcap at The Penthouse in Santa Monica.

1. Blue Plate Oysterette (restaurant)
  2. Gjelina (restaurant)
  3. Umami Burger (restaurant)
  4. The Penthouse (restaurant)

Day one looks good –just to make some suggestions—

The Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is OK, but it can be a little tourist heavy. You might want to consider Main Street or Montana instead. The vibe is much more low key but the feeling of both streets is much less commercial than 3rd Street. 

I’d say the same about the  Venice Beach Boardwalk—unless you’re an incense aficionado or really, really need your name spelled out in vaguely “Chinese” letters, it’s kind of a disappointment. As an alternative, I’d stroll along Abbott-Kinney Boulevard . It’s a lot more interesting, although not near the beach. If you do end up in the area, I’d recommend Primitivo or, if you want to eat on the cheap,  Lemonade Also, Alejo's Presto Trattoria on Lincoln is pretty fantastic. 

Just to add another idea into the mix for your concert/baseball night: don’t forget about Walt Disney Concert Hall. It’s mostly classical music, but it’s a much more interesting building than Staples Center. For your nightcap, I’d recommend The Edison (they specialize in absinthe), the Cognac Room at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel (which is gorgeous), or Remedy Lounge (haven’t been here yet, but I’ve heard good things about it). 

Not to drive you nuts, but if you really want a truly unique L.A. experience, instead of going downtown to hear music, hit the The Dresden Room and see Marty & Elayne.  I’m not even sure how to describe them—think Steve & Edie after a few drinks. It’s a piano bar, so you can have your nightcap there. 

1. Primitivo (restaurant)
  2. Alejo's Presto Trattoria (restaurant)
  3. Walt Disney Concert Hall (attraction)
  4. Staples Center (attraction)
  5. The Edison (attraction)
  6. Millennium Biltmore Hotel (attraction)
  7. The Dresden Room (attraction)
  8. The Grove (attraction)
  9. LACMA (attraction)
  10. Tonga Hut (attraction)
  11. Universal City, CA (attraction)
  12. Hollywood Walk of Fame (attraction)
  13. Farmers Market (attraction)
  14. La Brea Tar Pits (attraction)
  15. Tagine (restaurant)
  16. The Beverly Hills Hotel (hotel)
  17. The Beverly Hilton (hotel)
  18. Sardo's (attraction)
  19. Chateau Marmont (hotel)
  20. Remedy Lounge (attraction)
  21. Craft & Folk Art Museum (attraction)
  22. The French Crepe Company - Farmers Market (Grove) (restaurant)
  23. Pampas Grill (restaurant)
  24. Monsieur Marcel Gourmet Market (restaurant)
  25. Moishe's @ the Farmers Market (restaurant)
  26. Morel's Steakhouse (restaurant)
  27. The Farm of Beverly Hills (restaurant)
  28. Il Fornaio (restaurant)
  29. Trader Vic'S Lounge (restaurant)
  30. Malbec Argentinian Bistro (restaurant)
  31. Bow & Truss (restaurant)
  32. Lemonade (restaurant)
  33. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
  34. Venice Beach Boardwalk (attraction)

Kristina from Los Angeles

Hey Jenna! Day one seems pretty good... Although it depends on what days of the week you are actually here. If you doing all those things on a Friday - I would say maybe to knock a few off (traffic in LA is probably worse on Fridays, even though theres really no 'good' days either). So if its a Friday that you plan on going to the Getty Center, you may want to skip Venice boardwalk (from experience, I like to make that an all day thing) - after all relaxing and enjoying yourself is part of the Cali vibe! I suggest looking up some venues in Hollywood for concerts also (such as The Wiltern). For a drink in downtown, may I suggest walking along Spring Street (Spring St Bar is always good) or try Bottega Louie. If you do go to Staples Center, check out Yard House Los Angeles they always have great food and beers. 
For day two, all of the places are relatively close to each other so you don't have to worry about traffic much (even though there will be some). When your at The Grove check out Monsieur Marcel for lunch - its amazing or when in Beverly Hills check out Mastro's Steakhouse. If your into live music check H.O.M.E. House of Music & Entertainment in Beverly Hills also (they have a great brunch). Universal city is always a good time! One of my favorite bars is Howl at the Moon Hollywood if your young and enjoy some comedy and rowdiness its a must go to place! Hope some of these places help :)

1. The Wiltern (attraction)
  2. Spring St Bar (restaurant)
  3. Bottega Louie (restaurant)
  4. Yard House Los Angeles (restaurant)
  5. Monsieur Marcel (restaurant)
  6. Mastro's Steakhouse (restaurant)
  7. H.O.M.E. House of Music & Entertainment (restaurant)
  8. Howl at the Moon Hollywood (attraction)

Day two is doable, but a little tight depending upon your pace. If I were going to cut anything out, it would be Universal City, CA. It’s a bit of a zoo, and basically all chain restaurants.  

If you can, I’d add Hollywood Museum to this. It’s basically along the Hollywood Walk of Fame and even though it seems kind of touristy, it’s actually pretty fun. They’ve got some great Hollywood artifacts and sets, but I think the real star of the show is the collection of rooms that Max Factor used to doll up his celebrity clients (the museum is housed in Factor’s old studio). The rooms are painted all different colors to compliment the skin tones of different women. It’s pretty funny. 

The Grove and especially Farmers Market are a lot of fun, but I’d suggest going to LACMA or even the Craft & Folk Art Museum across the street instead of the La Brea Tar Pits. Most of the interesting part of it can be seen from the street and unless you’ve got a lot of time or really, really love dinosaurs, it’s not that interesting. At the Farmer’s Market, I’d recommend a couple of places for lunch: The French Crepe Company - Farmers Market (Grove)Pampas GrillMonsieur Marcel, or Moishe's @ the Farmers Market. In the Grove I would definitely recommend Morel's Steakhouse. They make great fondue!

For Beverly Hills, I’d recommend The Farm of Beverly Hills Il Fornaio (this is a chain in SoCal, but it’s pretty good), Tagine (unless you’re a vegetarian), Caufield’s, or, if you want to splurge a little, go up to The Beverly Hills Hotel and have a bite there. You might also want to consider a drink at Trader Vic'S Lounge at The Beverly Hilton

For a drink in the Valley, I’d try the Tonga Hut on Victory (totally authentic 1950s tiki bar), Sardo's in Burbank (the karaoke here is serious), Malbec Argentinian Bistro in Toluca Lake, or Bow & Truss on Magnolia. In all honesty, though, I’d get out of the Valley and head down to the Chateau Marmont for a drink. It’s pretty close to Universal and much more interesting. Just call ahead to make a reservation as it gets pretty crowded and you don’t want to stand in line.  

1. Universal City, CA (attraction)
  2. Hollywood Museum (attraction)
  3. Hollywood Walk of Fame (attraction)
  4. The Grove (attraction)
  5. Farmers Market (attraction)
  6. LACMA (attraction)
  7. Craft & Folk Art Museum (attraction)
  8. La Brea Tar Pits (attraction)
  9. The French Crepe Company - Farmers Market (Grove) (restaurant)
  10. Pampas Grill (restaurant)
  11. Monsieur Marcel (restaurant)
  12. Moishe's @ the Farmers Market (restaurant)
  13. Morel's Steakhouse (restaurant)
  14. The Farm of Beverly Hills (restaurant)
  15. Il Fornaio (restaurant)
  16. Tagine (restaurant)
  17. The Beverly Hills Hotel (hotel)
  18. Trader Vic'S Lounge (restaurant)
  19. The Beverly Hilton (hotel)
  20. Tonga Hut (attraction)
  21. Sardo's (attraction)
  22. Malbec Argentinian Bistro (restaurant)
  23. Bow & Truss (restaurant)
  24. Chateau Marmont (hotel)

Zach from West Bloomfield Township, Michigan

Looks good but some things may not need to be on the list as they are pretty touristy...I've lived in LA for almost 10 years and don't see any reason to go to Universal CityWalk or La Brea Tar Pits if you only have 2 days.  I would say Venice Beach Boardwalk into Main Street in Santa Monica into Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is a nice day...Another day could be The Grove, Beverly Hills, and Hollywood. Hollywood Walk of fame, The Egyptian Theatre, Kodak Theatre are over rated and VERY touristy so I would go for about 1 hour only.  Also consider Manhattan Beach...Its really nice down there.

1. Universal CityWalk (attraction)
  2. La Brea Tar Pits (attraction)
  3. Main Street (attraction)
  4. The Grove (attraction)
  5. Beverly Hills (neighborhood)
  6. Hollywood (attraction)
  7. Hollywood Walk of fame (attraction)
  8. The Egyptian Theatre (attraction)
  9. Kodak Theatre (attraction)
  10. Manhattan Beach (city)
  11. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
  12. Venice Beach Boardwalk (attraction)