Hassan

Hassan from Los Angeles asked

Best LA cafes for coffee and co-working?

I just moved to LA and am always on the hunt for places with great service, coffee, and wifi. Any suggestions? 

CJ from Los Angeles

Hi Hassan--

LA's a pretty big city so it may be hard to recommend a place without knowing your neighborhood? In general, Urth Caffe is a pretty solid spot, and there's several locations around town. It's a great place to spend the afternoon with your laptop and people watch, with a nice cup of coffee, and light food.

Intelligentsia Coffee is another solid spot to try out too, if you're in the neighborhood. 

Hassan
Ah thanks CJ. I was thinking I should probably be more specific but thanks for those suggestions. Noted!

Annemarie
+1 Intelligentsia!

1. Urth Caffe (restaurant)
  2. Intelligentsia Coffee (restaurant)
Carina from San Francisco

If you're looking for a place that's conducive to being locked into your laptop screen for hours, Literati Cafe on Wilshire is where I'd recommend. The decibels don't go far above medium, there isn't a trace of that overly-pretentious flare that coffee shops sometimes come with, and they have a full menu packed with fresh sandwiches, salads, and pastries. Tuesday is their grilled cheese night, which I've never attended, but have heard is quite thrilling if you're a grilled cheese enthusiast. I spent six hours there one day cranking out papers and managed to have ample coffee, lunch, sweet snacks, and drinks without breaking my bank. Give it a try! 

Hassan
Excellent! So excited to try it. Thanks Carina :D

1. Literati Cafe (restaurant)
Trevor from Los Angeles

Hey Hassan, 

It's really dependent on where in town you live since LA is so massive! But if you're on the east side of town,  Solar De Cahuenga (1847 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028) in Hollywood is a nice and convenient spot with great coffee, food, places to sit and WiFi. 

Welcome to LA!

Hassan
Funnily enough, I was actually there yesterday! Thanks for the tip Trevor

Trevor
Hassan, haha wow, what are the chances! I've used it as a convenient meeting spot for people coming form different parts of the city. Hope you liked it.

Courtney
I agree--great spot for coffee and wifi (they'll let you stay there forever) but their food can be questionnable!

1. Solar De Cahuenga (restaurant)
Mike from Las Vegas

Hi Hassan,  If you're in the Pasadena area,  Peet's Coffee & Tea in Pasadena on S. Lake Ave and California Blvd is a great place to sit inside or out. There's an Einstein's Bagel right next door too. Lots of folks bring their dogs to the outside tables and benches too, so bring yours if you have one!

Hassan
I've never been to Pasadena ever! I need to check it out, thanks dude. I love the Peet's in Belmont Shore

1. Peet's Coffee & Tea (restaurant)
Hassan from Los Angeles

Answering my own question, but I just discovered  Nature's Brew in University Park in LA. Big, bright and great for lunching and lap-topping. 

1. Nature's Brew (restaurant)
Supun from Carson (California)

If you want to come down towards the beach,  Coffee Cartel, at 1820 S Catalina Ave #102, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 is a good place to work. It doesn't get too loud and the couches are comfy. You can also grab a table in a corner. There's lots of people writing on their laptops every time I go. If you need some fresh air, you can walk down to the beach and come back up. 

Hassan
I'm here all the time. Love it. Takes me back to high school. I like its hippy oddball vibe.

1. Coffee Cartel (restaurant)
Jillian from Los Angeles

I recently moved to LA as well and here's what I've found to be standouts in Venice:

Flake on Rose Street is one of my favorites. It's small, relaxed, and the outside seating catches sun most days. The staff is friendly, coffee is flowing, and the food is tasty (bonus!).

You can't go wrong with  TOMS Flagship. They have a really unique outdoor area in the back for working, and if you need a break you can shop around for some shoes or sunglasses for a good cause. 

Intelligentsia Coffee is a must try. However, my favorite location is the Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea in Silver Lake as they have better seating options for working. Try the drip coffee of the day which they individually brew for your order.

Lastly, I really like the vibe and overall atmosphere at  Zinque. It has more of a true restaurant feel than the others, but it's perfect for some coffee and laptop action. 

Hassan
Always good to know places in Venice! The TOMS store is delightful, have totally spent quality time there. Thanks Jillian ;)

Jillian
You're welcome, Hassan! Happy to help.

Hassan
I came to Flake today! It's very cute and great for lunch. I <3 Venice. Working however is a little awkward bc it's so small! Do you live in Venice, Jill?

Annemarie
I know I just said this elsewhere, but really, Intelligentsia. A+.

Jillian
Hassan, glad you tried Flake out! It is small, but I personally don't mind it for working. Zinque has more space, try that next! :) Yes, l live in Venice and love it too!

1. Flake (restaurant)
  2. TOMS Flagship (attraction)
  3. Intelligentsia Coffee (restaurant)
  4. Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea (restaurant)
  5. Zinque (restaurant)