Niki asked

5 days driving, where do we stop along the way?

My adult son is moving to LA. Driving him there. We’d like to do it in 5 days. Best route and stops?

Boston Los Angeles

The shortest time for this trip is 44 hours of driving which works out to about 9 hours a day.  Breaking this down into 5 days that are approximately equal, I come out with
Boston to Cleveland (640 miles)
Day 2 - to  Des Moines (660 miles)
Day 3 - Fort Collins (650 miles)
Day 4 -Beaver (Utah) (This is the shortest leg at 565 miles)  I originally had you stopping in Salt Lake, but that makes the trip longer. Beaver is at the end of I-70 where you join to I-15 so it is a truck stop kind of place but there are motels there.
Day 5 -Los Angeles via Las Vegas (511 miles)
If you want to go on past Beaver and stop in Las Vegas on Day 4 to make the last leg shorter, the distance on day 4 would be 800 miles and the last leg to LA would be under 300 miles.   

1. Boston (city)
  2. Cleveland (city)
  3. Des Moines (city)
  4. Fort Collins (city)
  5. Beaver (Utah) (city)
  6. Los Angeles (city)
Sid

This time of year stick to the northern i-80 route and enjoy a few hours in Reno.