Marcos
Sao Paulo

2 days in LA, what to do and where to eat?

As a first-time visitor, what would you recommend to do and where to eat in Los Angeles in 2 days?

Among the famous tourist attractions, which one would you recommend?  Which restaurants do you think I couldn't miss?

Tks!

Margot from Los Angeles

For the higher end dining try The Bazaar or Gjelina.  The Bazaar is has modern and traditional Spanish tapas - the "Not Your Everyday Caprese" and the "Philly Cheesesteak" are not to be missed.  At Gjelina, if you go for dinner get the mushroom toast.

As far as unique things to do in LA, The Getty Center is great.  The architecture and views are beautiful.  You could have a nice picnic.  LACMA is another fantastic museum. There are also walking/biking/skating paths along the beaches.  Which beaches?  All beaches!  I recommend parking in Santa Monica and walking from the Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach and back (about 4-5 miles total).  It's wonderful to walk by the beach and there is great people watching - lots of street performers, etc.  

1. The Bazaar (restaurant)
  2. Gjelina (restaurant)
  3. The Getty Center (attraction)
  4. LACMA (attraction)
  5. Venice Beach (city)
  6. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)

Marty from Red Deer, Alberta

Landmarks to eat Pink's world famous Hotdogs. Not your average hot dog. This is a whole meal.

In-N-Out Burger There are several locations. This is a healthy fast food burger. But special. The locals and the tourists love it.

Pizza 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria Free 90 minute parking at Santa Monica location. Healthy yummy Pizza that even my friends from Italy recommend.

The three eateries I mentioned are classic for LA. Not expensive. I am not an expert on the expensive stuff. Just the best quality meals that are landmarks.

If you are not renting a car then download the UBER app.

2 places to visit in LA that are very special. 

The Getty Center and Getty Villa Both are free but you pay $15 for parking.

All other tourist locations are personal preference. The Getty is a must for all world travelers.

Have fun.

1. Pink's (restaurant)
  2. In-N-Out Burger (restaurant)
  3. 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria (restaurant)
  4. The Getty Center (attraction)
  5. Getty Villa (attraction)

Nina

to eat: 

Urth Caffe (i'm a big fan of the melrose location, not so much the others). great selection of healthy food and nice crowd. 

The Ivy (the robertson location, the one by the beach isn't as nice). great food, pricy but worth it. book in advance, weekend brunch on sundays is a good option or lunch on fridays. 

Toast Bakery Cafe is another good option for a weekend breakfast. it gets packed. 

Nobu Malibu one of the most beautiful spots in the world. if you go during the day, the view is fantastic and around sunset it's magical. the food is also great. pricy as well, and an amazing crowd. 

Roscoe's House Of Chicken & Waffles cheap delicious waffles and chicken. 

to see: 

Melrose (mostly grungy shopping options and local LA places)

Hollywood because you can't make it to LA and not see the sign. 

Beverly Hills: Rodeo Drive and N Beverly Dr are worth walking around. 

if you're there on the first friday of the month check out first fridays on Abbot Kinney. loads of food trucks and art shops stay open late. 

1. Urth Caffe (restaurant)
  2. The Ivy (restaurant)
  3. Toast Bakery Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Roscoe's House Of Chicken & Waffles (restaurant)
  5. Melrose (neighborhood)
  6. Hollywood (attraction)
  7. Rodeo Drive (neighborhood)
  8. N Beverly Dr (attraction)
  9. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
  10. Nobu Malibu (restaurant)

Jillian from Los Angeles

I moved here almost a year ago and have made it my mission to eat my way through the city! Some of my favorites:

Bestia is a trendy spot in the Los Angeles Arts District and some of the best italian food in the city. It's hard to get a reso, but you shouldn't have any issue if you get there around 5pm when they open and sit at the bar. I also love The Factory Kitchen for classic italian from executive Chef Angelo Auriana. When in that area, stop at The Pie Hole for some pie, and Blue Bottle Coffee Downtown (now Blue Bottle Coffee) for coffee.

Not too far in downtown LA, you have to get some off menu puffy tacos at Bar Ama or enjoy pretty much everything on the menu from same owners at Bäco Mercat. It's all really fresh.

In Los FelizLittle Dom's is also amazing Italian - order the rice balls. Trust me! Lucifers has some great pizza, especially if you dig gluten free.

In Silver Lake, Cafe Stella is really good, but pricy. Pho Café is in a strip mall with no outside label, and my favorite pho in the whole city. 

In Santa Monica, my favorites for brunch and quite possibly the best pastries I've ever had are Thyme Cafe and Market and Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery. For dinner, Rustic Canyon Wine Bar is a huge treat. It's kinda expensive though and no substitutions, but so worth it. 

And then there's Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach, which is one of the more trendy areas on the westside. Gjelina is a locals and tourists favorite, but my recommendation would be to grab a slice at Gjelina Take Away (same owners) for lunch instead. Also, the chicken or fish tacos at James' Beach are worth stopping by.

Nearby in Mar Vista, I would highly recommend the Kogi tacos at Alibi Room. Get the spicy pork and short rib.

In Manhattan BeachMB Post stands out for their bacon cheddar biscuits and overall vibe. North End Caffe is definitely top choice for lunch. I love the Princapessa salad.

If you enjoy hiking, make your way to Temescal Canyon Park for beautiful views of the ocean, or Griffith Park for amazing views of the city. 

If you enjoy yoga, you MUST check out Beach Yoga with Brad for yoga on the Santa Monica State Beach 10:30am on Sat and Sun, or 6:30pm M-F. It's an opportunity to be with the locals and enjoy some yoga with the ocean as your backdrop!

Hollywood Bowl is a fun LA concert experience if you are into live music, and the Troubadour is a cool unique to LA venue too. Have so much fun!

1. Bestia (restaurant)
  2. Los Angeles Arts District (neighborhood)
  3. The Factory Kitchen (restaurant)
  4. The Pie Hole (restaurant)
  5. Blue Bottle Coffee Downtown (attraction)
  6. Bar Ama (attraction)
  7. Bäco Mercat (restaurant)
  8. Los Feliz (neighborhood)
  9. Little Dom's (attraction)
  10. Lucifers (restaurant)
  11. Silver Lake (neighborhood)
  12. Cafe Stella (restaurant)
  13. Pho Café (restaurant)
  14. Santa Monica (city)
  15. Thyme Cafe and Market (restaurant)
  16. Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery (restaurant)
  17. Rustic Canyon Wine Bar (restaurant)
  18. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
  19. Venice Beach (city)
  20. Gjelina (restaurant)
  21. Gjelina Take Away (attraction)
  22. James' Beach (restaurant)
  23. Mar Vista (neighborhood)
  24. Alibi Room (restaurant)
  25. Manhattan Beach (city)
  26. MB Post (restaurant)
  27. North End Caffe (restaurant)
  28. Griffith Park (attraction)
  29. Santa Monica State Beach (park)
  30. Hollywood Bowl (attraction)
  31. Troubadour (attraction)
  32. Temescal Canyon Park (attraction)

Stacy from Martinez, California

To Do: Catch some improv at UCB or stand up at The Comedy Store Buy some records at Amoeba Music then run across the street to see a new release at the best theater ever: Arclight Hollywood. Or if you're here before the end of September, catch an outdoor movie at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (http://cinespia.org/).  

To Eat:  Korean BBQ in Korea Town, or try Roy Choi's POTat the Line Hotel for fancier KBBQ. Make reservations in advance for Pizzeria Mozza, or wait in line for amazing sushi at SUGARFISH | Downtown LA.  If you're a carnivore, go to Animal.  If you're a Vegan, go to Gracias Madre Hungover and need a quick fix? Try an avocado burger at Astro Burgers or some amazing kebabs at Zankou Chicken.  So many food options, I could go on for hours...

1. UCB (attraction)
  2. The Comedy Store (attraction)
  3. Amoeba Music (attraction)
  4. Arclight Hollywood (attraction)
  5. Hollywood Forever Cemetery (attraction)
  6. POT (restaurant)
  7. Pizzeria Mozza (restaurant)
  8. SUGARFISH | Downtown LA (attraction)
  9. Animal (restaurant)
  10. Gracias Madre (restaurant)
  11. Astro Burgers (restaurant)
  12. Zankou Chicken (restaurant)

Jelena from Los Feliz

Pick the least appetizing looking taco truck you can find. There's an inverse correlation between appearance and taco quality.

Drew from Los Angeles

I would highly recommend you take a hike to see the famous Hollywood Sign! It's one of the most iconic signs in the world and something you won't want to miss out. Read how to do it here. http://mrandmrsadventure.com/2013/02/21/hiking-to-the-hollywood-sign/

1. Hollywood Sign (attraction)