Edward
Stockholm

10 hours at LAX - should I leave the airport to see Los Angeles?

In the middle of October I'm traveling home from Hawaii. Me and my partner have a 10 hour wait at LAX airport before continuing to London (we arrive at LAX at 5:35 in the morning...). Is it possible to leave the airport to see some of Los Angeles? If so, please give me any suggestions you might have on what to see and do in this short time!

Also, is there a luggage storage at the airport? In case we need to check out our luggage. Thank you!

Leslie from Minneapolis

I had 7 hours at LAX from Hawaii to Minneapolis and did the same thing as Anna from Athens did at 5:30 am on a Wednesday. 

I got off the bus from Venice Beach and walked to Santa Monica along the beach. Had breakfast, went to a great farmers market, window shopped and then took a cab back to Los Angeles International Airport. It was a terrific way to spend the time. I do suggest taking a cab back so you don' get stressed out waiting for a bus and possibly missing your flight. They need to go to a hotel to find cabs as you can't flag them down.

1. Venice Beach (attraction)
  2. Santa Monica (city)
  3. Los Angeles International Airport (attraction)

Anna from Athens

I know I'm jumping a bit late but I've actually researched luggage storage and transportation from the airport so I can report on that. As Phil said if you're on the same airline the luggage will be transferred. LAX does not have a storage facility. I've asked that myself and the answer was no. Venice Beach and Santa Monica are the closest places to LAX (a 20 min bus ride). The bus depot is a bit outside LAX, so you need tho get on internal bus labeled C to get to the bus depot! Bus ride is $1.

Walking along the beach is beautiful and I also liked Abbot Kinney in Venice, which has cute shops and restaurants and the Venice CanalsSanta Monica Pier Carousel is also interesting. that's where route 66 ends.

1. Venice Beach (attraction)
  2. Santa Monica (city)
  3. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
  4. Venice Canals (attraction)
  5. Santa Monica Pier Carousel (attraction)

Connie from Los Angeles

I agree that MManhattan Beach and the South Bay would be your best bet. Traffic in other directions could really cause you stress. Plus, while LA does have some very nice attractions (The Getty Center), LA really isn't a very interesting or beautiful city like some. Stick to the beaches and protect your wallet!

1. Manhattan Beach (city)
  2. The Getty Center (attraction)

Ema from Los Angeles

Definitely should. Downtown Los Angeles is only 20 mins car-ride (non rush hour time 7am - 9am).. Worths of sight-seeing. Make sure to check out the new museum "The Broad" (just opened), have a casual lunch at Ace Hotel Los Angeles Rooftop, etc.

And you will actually have time to check out The Grove. That said, traffic is very light on way back to LAX from Downtown between hours of 3pm-6pm. And yes, LAX does have luggage storage.

Have a blast!

1. Downtown Los Angeles (metro area)
  2. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)
  3. The Grove (attraction)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Here is an article you might find interesting.  Manhattan Beach

http://www.johnnyjet.com/2014/07/what-to-do-on-a-long-layover-at-lax/

I don't think I would attempt Los Angeles - too much traffic and would take too much time.

1. Manhattan Beach (city)

Diana from Los Angeles

Definitely avoid going downtown. You only have about 7-8 hours since you have to check in all over again and that alike will take up so much of your time with traffic. You can totally go to Muscle Beach Venice. There is a roof top bar at one of the hotels near the Venice sign. Bike it to Santa Monica. Check out the pier and the promenade. Also, like 15 mins from the airport is a new brewery: Three Weavers Brewing Company. Done! You have a little day trip of the west side of Los Angeles. 

1. Muscle Beach Venice (attraction)
  2. Santa Monica (city)
  3. Three Weavers Brewing Company (restaurant)