Kenneth
Portland

London's best restaurants?

I've heard the London food scene has some great new hot spots - what are your favorite restaurants? I'm up for exploring different areas and I enjoy anything from dive bars to nice restaurants. Willing to spend some money (if it's worth it)! 

Valerie from Seattle

Gosh... this is a tough question, Kenneth! London has amazing food for sure, and picking favorites is like choosing between my children. If I had children, that is! I'm a bit partial to east London though, so most of my faves are there.

Here are a quick six I know are great and come to mind:

Duck & Waffle - Listed by Buzzfeed as one of the bars you must visit before you die, also do food. Great views of the city. Expensive.

Tayyabs - In my opinion, the best Indian food in London. BYOB. Cheap. Fast service. Huge lines, but they turn over tables pretty fast.

MEATmission - Burgers. Amazing, delicious, better-than-Americans-even-though-we-invented-them. Moderately expensive. Sometimes a wait.

MotherMash - Get some British food that doesn't make you want to cringe. Delicious options of bangers & mash for a reasonable price. Right in the heart of the city.

Village East - On the burgeoning Bermondsey Street, surrounded by cheery, classy pubs and bars. Moderately expensive, but wort the walk.

Wahaca - London's take on Mexican street food -- there are about 15 of them around the city, so search for one nearer to you.

And bonuses that are more bar than bites:

Evans & Peel - My favorite secret bar, with outrageously high prices, but it's basically always booked solid. Make sure you come with a cover story you need the detectives to solve -- they'll have to accept your case!

UnderDog - Ask for a pickle back, or one of their coffee-stout concoctions. Another great secret bar.

1. Duck & Waffle (restaurant)
  2. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  3. MEATmission (restaurant)
  4. MotherMash (restaurant)
  5. Village East (restaurant)
  6. Wahaca (restaurant)
  7. Evans & Peel (attraction)
  8. UnderDog (restaurant)

Paul from London

My current favourite is Kurobuta London for fabulous modern Japanese food.

I also love The Ledbury and Le Gavroche if you want top-end cooking.

1. Kurobuta London (restaurant)
  2. The Ledbury (restaurant)
  3. Le Gavroche (restaurant)

m from London

London food scene is amazing. According to your tastes and budget you can use Opentable website to book a place and filter place and price. The app is free so easiest way to make your choice.

My favourite Italians are Carluccio's - Covent Garden, Pizza Express, and Signor Sassi. Best steaks are at Gaucho. Best sweets are at Ladurée at Covent Garden. Enjoy! 

1. Carluccio's - Covent Garden (restaurant)
  2. Pizza Express (restaurant)
  3. Signor Sassi (restaurant)
  4. Gaucho (restaurant)
  5. Ladurée (restaurant)

Will

Hi Kenneth,

You are right, the London food scene is awesome! It is very difficult (but exciting) to keep track of all the new openings. For a more expensive meal, but by no means a complete blowout, you should definitely eat at 10 Greek Street. Modern European food done very well and portion sizes are always spot on. Great atmosphere in buzzy Soho which is a mecca for London restaurants. It's no bookings but you can give them your number if there are no tables and they'll get call you when they have a table ready. If you don't want to have to wait I'd advise getting there no later than 6pm. Alternatively, their sister restaurant, 8 Hoxton Square is great too (I prefer Greek Street slightly) and you can book too. 

For cheaper options and to check out London's most exciting food neighbourhood, head to Brixton. It's at the southern end of the Victoria line (light blue one). Very vibrant and colourful area with a big Caribbean and West African population. When you get there you should go to the two indoor markets, Brixton Village Market and Market Row Wines. Both are home to lots of street-food style options that have taken over disused market units. My favourites are Franco Manca, Elephant (pakistani curry) and Honest Burgers. Honest and Francos have several branches all over the city.

Additionally If you really want to get to know the city's burger joints, I am running a tour of my favourite four on Monday 18th May from 12pm. You can get tickets here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/diagnosis-burger-tickets-16911465649. Everyone is very welcome on it. I've been told by many Americans than London burgers now rival anything they've had back home!

Hope that helps in any case.

Will

1. Brixton Village Market (attraction)
  2. Market Row Wines (attraction)
  3. Franco Manca (restaurant)
  4. Honest Burgers (restaurant)

Kelly from Los Angeles

It's not new, but this place probably has one of the best burgers I've ever tasted, and I want to put it on your radar: Honest Burgers. Head to the one in Soho, and get a side of rosemary chips (fries, of course).

1. Honest Burgers (restaurant)

Cindy from Kentucky

London has some great places to eat!!! It really depends on what you're looking for or the type of food you're interested in. 

My all time favorite was Behesht Restaurant. If you like or are interested in Persian food then this is the place. 

The Stag and Hounds is a great pub. The people are friendly and the food is tasty. 

The Hummingbird Bakery - Notting Hill is a yummy little place to stop off if you have a sweet tooth.

There are also some great Portuguese places to eat but for the life of me I cannot remember their names. I can only remember that they were in the borough of Brent. 

1. Behesht Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. The Stag and Hounds (restaurant)
  3. The Hummingbird Bakery - Notting Hill (restaurant)

Krista from London

I love José in Bermondsey (stand-up tapas bar) and any of the Barrafinas (counter seating, central London). It really depends what you are in the mood for! For British, I love Hix Oyster & Chop House. The Vinoteca chain (multiple locations) can be a great value with great wines to boot.  

1. José (restaurant)
  2. Barrafina (restaurant)
  3. Hix Oyster & Chop House (restaurant)
  4. Vinoteca (attraction)

Gizem from Izmir

Are you sure London is the best place for a good cuisine hunting? :)  Most answers seem to be about other countries cuisines. And I am sure they don't taste as "real" as they are in their home towns. I'd suggest you try apple pie with custard which was very hard to find in London. Maybe I was looking at the wrong places. Out of London you may find traditional English pubs where they cook it. (not frozen and microwaved when you order) 

If you enjoy trying out various and different kinds of food, Turkey is one of the countries you should visit.

We were in London just two weeks ago. Friends took us to Olivo, 49 Elizabeth Street. Absolutely fantastic Italian!

1. Olivo (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

London has a phenomenal food scene.  Beyond the many fancy restaurants, which I love, you must go to Borough Market on a day when it's fully functional.  There is a spectacular Halumi sandwich at one stand, amazing drippy Raclette cheese sandwich at another (get the onions and garlic, live it up), and at Tapas Brindisa (the one at Borough Market) they have spectacular Jamon Iberico and when the grill is up a Linguica sandwich that is superb.  Then go to Spitalfields market and try the best chicken pot pie with mushie peas and mash at Square Pie, and get a vegetarian Rainforrest box at another.  These are culinary delights that are tremendously fulfilling.  Also delicious on the lower end is Wagamama (go to any of them).    

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Tapas Brindisa (restaurant)
  3. Spitalfields (attraction)
  4. Square Pie (restaurant)
  5. Wagamama (restaurant)

luiza from Zurich

1. Coya Restaurant London (restaurant)
  2. Chiltern Firehouse (restaurant)
  3. Hakkasan (restaurant)
  4. La Famiglia (restaurant)
  5. sketch (restaurant)

Christian from Tea, South Dakota

One of the best pubs I've been to is the Minories right by the Tower! Best Fish N' Chips I've ever had! Plus, there are major tube and DLR stations close to it, so it's easy to get to. Not to mention, it's right next to the freakin' Tower of London and Tower Bridge!

1. Minories (attraction)