Colleen
Opelika

where to stay in London

Where are good neighborhoods or areas to stay in London? My husband and I are visiting for the first time and like quaint places but still within reasonable distance to attractions.  For example we like the trastevere area of Rome and the Marais district of Paris, if that helps.  

John from Ewing

I like to stay just off Oxford Street on Berners Street at The Sanderson Centre or sometimes I get an Airbnb around the Sohoneighborhood. There is tons to do, you are near all the theaters and great nightlife and restaurants and an active walker can easily get around to all the classic highlights of London.

1. Berners Street (attraction)
  2. The Sanderson Centre (attraction)
  3. Soho (attraction)

John from Boulder

It depends on your taste, but I've always been fond of areas around Old Street and/or Brick Lane. These areas got trendy some time ago, but they're still fun areas with local attractions and are fairly close to the cebtral london must-see areas. A local Londoner may he able to point you toward truely up and coming areas, but most visitors like a little gentrification anyway. You may need to look at air bnb for the best experience in these areas, but thats kind of fun too. Hope this helps!

1. Old Street (neighborhood)
  2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

I recently stayed in Kensington at a reasonable price.

It's near to the Victoria & Albert Museum Natural History Museum Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park .

There are two tube stations nearby South Kensington Station and Gloucester Road Station

Although the main road is busy, you will find yourself movie location spotting from Love Actually and all the rest.

I found that there isn't a lot of night life around there, we found a pub near Gloucester Road station and a few restaurants, there are more cafe's bars & restaurants around South Kensington station but they were very busy.

I'm by no means an aficionado of London and you may get better answers but I thought the area was as "Quaint" as you'll get in London city.

1. Victoria & Albert Museum (attraction)
  2. Natural History Museum (attraction)
  3. Royal Albert Hall (attraction)
  4. Hyde Park (attraction)
  5. South Kensington Station (attraction)
  6. Gloucester Road Station (attraction)

Janelle from Charleston

I'd recommend Bayswater, Notting Hill or Knightsbridge.  They're largely residential, safe and relatively quiet at night, and the shops, restaurants and pubs are patronised largely by locals, so they're great areas to experience London as the locals do.  Each area has plenty of hotels/B&Bs/AirBNB properties at all price ranges.  If you're flying into Heathrow, you can take the train from the airport to Paddington Station, in the heart of Bayswater.

The Tube is the most comprehensive subway system in the world, and it connects all the major attractions with pretty much anywhere in the city.  On the map to the right, Tube stations are shown as red circles with blue lines through them.  Nowhere in London is more than a few blocks from the nearest station, and there are stations near all the major sights within the city.  I'd spend your first day familiarising yourself with the Tube and learning how it works so that you can be comfortable using it throughout your trip.  Staying in a quieter, less touristy area and using the Tube to get to whatever you want to see obviates the need to stay in more expensive, more crowded and more touristy areas of London such as Piccadilly and Soho.

1. Bayswater (neighborhood)
  2. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
  3. Knightsbridge (neighborhood)
  4. Paddington Station (attraction)

Michael

If you like the Le Marais you will probably like Shoreditch/Hoxton  or ShoHo as it's known, Uber trendy and still very close to all the tourist attractions, a little further out London Fields/Hackney is also appealing. Not that many hotels in these 2 areas so Airbnb can be good. 

Another area worth considering is Borough High Street, close by Bridge StTate Modern, etc, again not a lot of hotels (which is good) so airbnb again.

1. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Hoxton (neighborhood)
  4. London Fields (attraction)
  5. Hackney (neighborhood)
  6. Borough High Street (attraction)
  7. Bridge St (attraction)
  8. Tate Modern (attraction)

Shana from San Diego

We are a family of five and had a difficult time finding a vacation rental really close to all the main attractions in London that was in our budget. We ended up staying in Putney High Street which was absolutely perfect. It was a ten min walk to the underground and then 20 min into central London. The town was small but plenty of great pubs and restaurants. I would consider Fulham Road too.

1. Putney High Street (attraction)
  2. Fulham Road (attraction)

Fyka from London

Try areas like Little VeniceHampstead VillageSaint John's WoodPrimrose Hill, or somewhere near Portobello Market. I'm not sure of prices in these areas for accommodation but I assume they'd be on the pricey end.

1. Little Venice (attraction)
  2. Hampstead Village (attraction)
  3. Saint John's Wood (neighborhood)
  4. Primrose Hill (attraction)
  5. Portobello Market (attraction)

Phillip

Heading west along the Thames towards Chelsea(the Kings Road area) is relatively central and very nice for places to see and stay. Further out to Wandsworth or Putney is good with more space but still easy to reach the centre. Around the city, just try and stay within the zone 1 of the Tube and you are able to walk or hire a bike to get about all the sites.

1. Chelsea (neighborhood)
  2. Kings Road (attraction)
  3. Wandsworth (neighborhood)
  4. Putney (neighborhood)

William from London

London boast of many good neighbourhoods to stay, which are centrally located and have easy access to the popular sites in the city. As you said you are looking something like Marais in Paris, I think the best area for you would be the East London, where you can choose to stay in neighbourhoods like Shoreditch House, HackneyAldgate and Clapton Pond. East London is one of the areas in town and is home to hipsters, artists, and techies.

Thigh the area has easy access to the central London still the apartments available here are reasonably priced. You would love the the exciting food, drink & art scene of East London, where innovation and traditions blends very nicely.  For More Info : https://www.thesqua.re/e-book

1. Shoreditch House (attraction)
  2. Hackney (neighborhood)
  3. Aldgate (attraction)
  4. Clapton Pond (attraction)

Will

Greenwich is nice, quaint and full of life and only a short train ride from London's city centre. Lots of great food spots and nice markets, as well as a huge park to walk around. It would be best to get an Airbnb in this area, much more enjoyable and more cost effective than a hotel in my view. 

1. Greenwich (attraction)