Katya
San Mateo

Which neighborhood should we stay in London

We are looking to rent an apartment for our 1 week stay in London. I'm lost in terms of which neighborhood we should stay in. We would like to be in the are with a lot of restaurants, cafes, pubs but at the same time not too touristy. We'd like to get a local feel. Any recommendations?

Witek from London

Each part of London has a different feel. Here's what I would recommend in central London depending on what you're into:

- Notting Hill - posh, upmarket, beautiful architecture and apartments depending on your budget, yummy mummies, trendy cafes and restaurants;

- Camden Town - probably the single most representative area in London. Dozens of bars, clubs, restaurants, cafes and of course the markets. Pretty crowded and touristy on the weekend, but you can walk to the very centre of London (Soho, Trafalgar Square) and Regent's Park is right there;

- Angel - a better behaved Camden.

1. Camden Town (neighborhood)
  2. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
  3. Angel (attraction)

Jerry from Toronto

Like a lot of things in London, this comes down to how much you're willing to pay.

For a conveniently central location (minutes walk from Soho/Oxford st) that still manages to keep its quiet neighborhood feel I'd highly recommend  Marylebone High St. Lots of very good cafes ( Workshop Coffee Co.  The Borough Barista to name a few) and restaurants. It's also quite pricey in terms of accommodation. 

On the opposite side of price spectrum is  Shoreditch, a cheaper, "up-and-coming" neighborhood that's home to many of the city's tech start-ups of Silicon Roundabout.

For an option that's somewhere in between I would suggest Islington--specifically around Angel station and on Upper Street. Great neighborhood with some great cheap eat options. 

1. Marylebone High St (attraction)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Islington (neighborhood)
  4. The Borough Barista (restaurant)
  5. Workshop Coffee Co. (restaurant)

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

I really liked the East End. It's a rather alternative part of London with a lot of graffiti (Banksy, Ronzo etc.), street art and cool shops.  Also, there are loads of restaurants around Brick Lane (also known as "Curry Street"). 

Getting a local feel in London is almost impossible unless you stay in the suburbs. But the East End is a very bohemian quarter and I didn't feel as terribly touristic as in other places in London.

1. East End (metro area)
  2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Georgia from San Francisco

South Kensington! - Close to Harrods, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. There are some affordable hotels in the area as well. The pubs are quaint and not crowded, you can walk to Oxford Street through the park and is located on the Picadilly line. All-in-all my favorite neighborhood.

1. South Kensington (neighborhood)
  2. Harrods (attraction)
  3. Buckingham Palace (attraction)
  4. Kensington Gardens (attraction)
  5. Oxford Street (attraction)
  6. Hyde Park (attraction)

Kirby from Seattle

Farringdon

1. Dine at Fergus Henderson's famed nose to tail British eatery St. John Bar and Restaurant (St. John)
  2. Drink real ale from pewter mugs at the unforgettable The Fox and Anchor (Fox and Anchor)
  3. Stay at the hip boutique The Zetter (Zetter Hotel)
  4. Dance at cutting edge electro house club  Ghost (Ghost)
  5. Rent a flat via Dwellable

1. Farringdon (attraction)
  2. St. John Bar and Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. The Fox and Anchor (attraction)
  4. The Zetter (hotel)
  5. Ghost (attraction)

Camden Town is fun - a lot of great little pubs and shops, the beautiful Camden Lock Market, and a really off-beat, kitchy atmosphere. There's a beautiful canal that runs through it, so it has some very pretty parts as well and it's easy to get anywhere with the Tube line.

Shoreditch is also nice with great places to eat and a lot of street art.

1. Camden Lock Market (attraction)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Antonin from Poitiers

Earl's Court could be a good solution for you. Near the tube station there is a lot of nice of small restaurants and bars. Also you will be at a reasonable walking distance from Hyde Park.

1. Earl's Court (neighborhood)
  2. Hyde Park (attraction)

Chiara from San Francisco

I have lived and worked in London for one year between 2009 and 2010, my apartment was in Hackney, it wasn't very safe years ago but they made it better for the Olympics, I have never had problems anyway. I love the North East part of London, it's not touristy and the cool and trendy people are there. My advice is to look for something close to Shoreditch, Brick Lane or Angel. All these three places are cool at night especially Brick Lane, it has that appealing factory style and everything is so colorful and different!

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Hackney (attraction)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  4. Angel (attraction)

Katharina from Vienna

Notting Hill or something in Kensington or Chelsea - I think gives you some very genuine London Feeling.  Yes it is posh and rather expensive, but I think so is London (at least to me). It is charming with its old houses with some very nice lush gardens, mixed with trendy bars, restaurants and cafes. On Saturdays there is the Portobello Market, with an antique section. And there is a nice cinema  Electric Cinema you could check out. 

1. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
  2. Portobello Market (attraction)
  3. Electric Cinema (attraction)
  4. Chelsea (neighborhood)
  5. Kensington (neighborhood)

Sally from United Kingdom

I'm a big fan of Islington, which funnily enough is where I live! In this northern corner of London you have everything you could want and more: more great eateries packed into one road ( Upper Street Islington) than anywhere else in London, a fabulous independent cinema, the canal (offering great walks and more fabulous cafes) and many excellent independent shops. If you do decide to leave (although I'm not sure why you would...:) then central London is a 15 minute bus/tube/cycle away. Happy travelling!

1. Islington (neighborhood)
  2. Upper Street Islington (attraction)

Mittu from London

Pimlico or  Chelsea as areas within London will probably suit your needs. 

1. Chelsea (neighborhood)
  2. Pimlico (attraction)

Théo from Bordeaux

Definitely Earl's Court! There is anything you need around like supermarkets and you are not too far from the center of london

1. Earl's Court (neighborhood)

Guillaume from Toulouse

1/ Earl's Court

2/ Fulham

3/ Hammersmith 

You can go anywhere from there. By feet, you can go to Chelsea and by bus or Tube you go anywhere.

1. Tube (attraction)
  2. Earl's Court (neighborhood)
  3. Fulham (neighborhood)
  4. Hammersmith (neighborhood)
  5. Chelsea (neighborhood)