Una

London, Paris

Which airport is better to fly into?

Visiting Europe and I'm wondering if it is better to fly into Heathrow Airport or Charles DeGaule Airport?

brian from England

Heathrow Airport - straight link into the heart of London

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)

Jan Jaap from Netherlands

It depends completely on your travel plan. If you are going to do a round trip through Europe, I would say Charles de Gaule as it is centrally located and you can easily get there by bus, train or plane. Secondly, it might also depend on the price of the ticket? Flying within Europe can be done rather cheap. But as Noel Kennedy states, extra information is needed to give you a clear answer to this.

shawn from Portland

I really try to avoid Heathrow when I can. It's crazy and stressful. I would recommend DeGaule, but do keep in mind that strikes can be quite frequent and the airport is sometimes affected by them.

Kat from Athens, Greece

Heathrow Airport for sure, CDG is a bit tricky, plus French usually refuse to speak English...

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)

Bijeta from Calcutta, India

I would recommend Charles de Gaulle - Étoile. Very easy to get into Paris from here.

1. Charles de Gaulle - Étoile (attraction)

Ram from Los Altos

This entirely depends on two factors:

1. Are you looking for the cheapest ticket to Europe from US?- then LHR has the best options from the most US gateways. In fact Dublin is even better from the Boston/NYC or SFO. Aer Lingus has great fares from SFO/ Boston or NY.

2. Is the major part of your Itinerary on the Continent? Then CDG or Dublin  is better since you have excellent low cost connections/ or from Paris - you can use the train to travel the continent. 

Alessandro

I guess it depends where you want to go from there. There is no precise answer to your question. Once in Europe you still have to catch other flights if you want to travel it.

Denise from San Diego

I think the airports are about the same, it is just depends where you want to go after. 

Once I was going to Morocco from London, then realized I'd save $250 by flying into Madrid instead. 

Plan where you want to go then price them both out.

Peter from Munich

Hard to answer question without knowing further plans. There are also some cheap flights into Frankfurt or from San Francisco there is even a non-stop flight to Munich.

If you are planning to catch a connection flight I guess Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle are the worst choices. Alwas had bad experience at both of them. Especially CDG one time the make you walk across the whole airport and a shuttle bus brings you almost back where you started. Just because of the international arrival and customs stuff. But that is my personal experience.

It really depends what are your further plans are on your europe visit.... could you share some more info with us?

1. Frankfurt (city)
  2. Munich (city)

Jamie from Nowhere

In depends where in Europe you want to go. From London Stansted Airport (quite far from Heathrow), you have cheap flights all over Europe. Check SkyScanner for prices and try searching for flights from London / Paris to 'anywhere.' It will bring you up a list of destinations by price and you can find some great places to go. 

1. Stansted Airport (attraction)

Heathrow is a lot closer to the city center than Charles de Gaulle, so your cab fair should be cheaper or the train ride in shorter.  However, last I checked-Heathrow had some of the highest taxes-so it may be cheaper to fly into CDG.

Roxanne from Montreal

If your plan includes GB then Heathrow is good. If not go for Paris our Amsterdam.  Remember, you' ll have to take the train to cross to France, it is not cheap.  Way pay if you are there for a day our so.

Frances from Buenos Aires

Heathrow Airport definitely, Gatwick is too far from London. London City is the best if you are coming from close by.

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)
  2. Gatwick (attraction)

I find Heathrow a nightmare, it is enormous, more terminals and more people. Both are pretty busy but I find Heathrow way more stressful and difficult to navigate.