Daryl
Holmdel, New Jersey

London, Paris, Prague, Munich

Which 2 cities should I go to for my 8 day honeymoon trip?

I'm planning a trip for next May. I have London, Paris, Prague, and Munich in mind, but I'm having a hard time deciding which 2 to go to and could use some help. My budget is $3,000 (not including airfare to fly in Europe).

This will actually be part of my honeymoon, so I'll be with my fiancé. We are into the museums, architecture, breathtaking views (ok, that one might just be me), and the cuisine. We want to see the touristy sites, but avoid the tourist traps for meals. There is just so much we want to see and do in each of these places, it is making choosing 2 very difficult, so any information we may not already know or personal experiences would be great.

Tomas from Prague

I have been in London, Munich and I live in Prague. As I m not familiar with Paris, I would recommend you London and Prague.

Prague is in my opinion one of the nicest cities in the world, so it is worth to see. We have many old buildings including Charles BridgePrague Castle View PointOld Town SquareVyšehrad and many other sights.

If you would like to taste some cuisine I can recommend you my older post about restaurants:

http://www.trippy.com/question/Prague-Restaurants-in-Prague

If you will choose Prague I can give you some more advices or tips. Just let me know.

1. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  2. Prague Castle View Point (attraction)
  3. Old Town Square (attraction)
  4. Vyšehrad (attraction)

Gabriella from Netherlands

If it is your honeymoon, you probably don't want to get overwhelmed by a big place. It can cause a lot of stress being in a big city like London or Paris for a limited amount of time, under pressure to do as many typical things and do as much sightseeing as possible. Also you don't want to spend a lot of time travelling from A to B in a big city. 

I would definitely recommend Prague - it is lovely, with pretty views, walkable distances, lots of culture and romantic things to do. Just rent a boat and enjoy the views pedalling or rowing on the river in the city center!

People above suggested . It is easily accessible from Prague (for example I think it is still possible to take an overnight direct bus, for a fraction of the price an airplane ticket would cost you). Again, the city has a lot of charm, lots of things to see and do. One fun thing would be to go and spend at least half a day in one of the famous spas, like the Széchenyi Thermal Bath in the main park, the Gellért on the Buda side, the lesser known Király Gyógyfürdő or the Rudas Baths (this one also hosts foam parties called 'Cinetrip', of you are the kind of people who enjoy these things :) )

Having said that, for a romantic couple's get away, especially a honeymoon I would go to Lisbon. It is THE most romantic and sexy city I have ever been to. It has a lot of character and charm, excellent food, all sorts of markets, spectacular beach at the ocean, incredible views, friendly locals, history, culture, etc... Walking on the streets you often get a whiff of cinnamon, and you can walk for hours just looking at the slowly decaying houses and great street art everywhere. You can also take an oldschool tram for very cheap to see the best parts of the city comfortably.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Széchenyi Thermal Bath (attraction)
  3. Gellért (attraction)
  4. Rudas Baths (attraction)
  5. Lisbon (city)
  6. Király Gyógyfürdő (attraction)

I absolutely agree with Katie. Prague is definitely the best of the four cities with art, culture, great food, beauty, and your money will go farther. It's definitely the most reasonable of the cities. It's also close enough to Budapest to spend time there or even in Vienna if you want to expand on your travel ideas.

Germany is beautiful, but I do love Paris. The museum passes and Metro passes make the museums and transport easy and affordable and there is a lot to see and do just outside the city as well like Versailles and the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte which both have amazing gardens.

While London museums are free (and I do LOVE London), the exchange rate makes it one of the most expensive cities on your list, so if cost is an issue, this would be the last one to go to. Hotels in London are very expensive as are restaurants and shows. If money is not an issue, it is a great city. The shows are amazing, Camden Town is a great place to hang out, and you'll enjoy the traditional English pubs and food.

1. Prague (city)
  3. Versailles (attraction)
  4. Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte (attraction)
  6. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Gillian

I would go to Prague and Munich. Great food, great atmosphere, and less expensive than London or Paris. Have a wonderful time!

1. Prague (city)
  2. Munich (city)

Christie from Hershey

For architectural beauty, Prague, hands down.  I am not a city person per se, but Prague, followed by Paris, are the two most beautiful cities.  Munich is a lot of fun.  London - meh - I way prefer the small towns in the English countryside and the pubs and the landscape.

1. Prague (city)
  3. Munich (city)

Kevin from Edmonton

Prague! Final answer. Stayed at the Perla Hotel. Perlová 412/1, Prague-Praha (Having trouble adding hotel to the map. but this is the address) Breakfast included! Huge feast every morning. Amazing city like everyone else is saying.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Perla Hotel (hotel)

Sarah from Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom

London and Paris would be the perfect two locations as both have what you require and it is possible to do both on a budget. Thanks to Eurostar, they are only a couple of hours apart by train. I live in London and many of the museums, including British Museumand the National Gallery are free to the public. You can save money in both cities as well through purchasing the London and Paris Passes. Both include access to a variety of attractions and access to transport over a number of days and saves you a lot of money. As for food, in London we have a lot of supermarkets which offer cheap meal deals for lunch and there are a variety of affordable restaurants offering a variety of cuisines.

1. British Museum (attraction)
  2. National Gallery (attraction)

Judy from Memphis

If this is your first trip to Europe you will love exploring London museums. So much fun going by the places, seeing the London sites (do ride the London Eye) and using the public transportation. For food in London, go for the international cuisine since the British food does not have the flavor or spices but London does attract all types of international cuisine. On a Saturday go to Hyde Park and watch the street performers!

Very intriguing to take the train beneath the chunnel and efficient to get to Paris, where once again the world class museums are awesome. Should you like a flavor of the locals book a simple bicycle tour of Paris where you can stop and grab some wine, local cheese and baguettes and usually meet a delightful French guide!

I will be in Munich and Prague in July so can share after that experience too. Berlin, although not on your list, is also a lovely city renown for art and, of course, historical experience.

1. London Eye (attraction)
  2. Hyde Park (attraction)
  4. Munich (city)
  5. Prague (city)
  6. Berlin (city)

Laura from London

Oh lovely, congratulations! I would head to London for the museums National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern then go for a stroll along the river down to Southbank and head up to the roof terrace at the Royal Festival Hall for a drink and take in the view, or you could carry on down to the London Eye.  The Victoria & Albert Museum is also one of my Favourites with the Science Museum next door. 

Outside the city center Primrose Hill is a lovely place for a nice meal and drink, you can also go up to the top of the park for some amazing views of the city.  Close by is Hampstead Village which is also lovely for a nice meal and great views from the Heath. 

I could go on forever about London!

It depends how long you have at each place but if you have a lot of time then London and Paris will keep you pretty busy.  If you go to two places then maybe London and Prague.  Prague is beautiful and very romantic, it has stunning architecture and an amazing square. You could probably do the city in 3 days and then head out of the city for a couple and in to the countryside to relax.  There's a interesting church called Sedlec Ossuary just outside the city. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, whose bones have in many cases been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

Hope this helps!

1. National Portrait Gallery (attraction)
  2. Tate Modern (attraction)
  3. Royal Festival Hall (attraction)
  4. London Eye (attraction)
  5. Victoria & Albert Museum (attraction)
  6. Science Museum (attraction)
  7. Primrose Hill (attraction)
  8. Hampstead Village (attraction)
  9. Sedlec Ossuary (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

Have you decided yet?  My vote would be for London and Paris, I have been to all four, London and Paris are two cities that I return to frequently.  London has such fabulous history and if you are a novice traveler, you will like that your 1st foray into international travel will allow you to read all of the signs!  Paris is so easy to get to from London, 2 1/4 hours on the Eurostar, book at least 120 days in advance if you want the best rates.  City center to city center, you can't beat the convenience.  Both cities have all the things that you've listed to make a perfect holiday

Hotels are going to be expensive regardless of which cities you choose, I am able, on occasion, to get great hotels in London for under $150 per night by bidding on Priceline but that will depend on what is going on at the time.  My best deal was a couple of years ago, $111US including tax for the London Marriott County Hall.

London gets a bad rap for being expensive, the major museums are all free, the parks are free, the markets are free to visit as long as you don't buy anything of course.  If you get a travelcard for transport, there are 2 for 1 deals on places like the Tower of London and Hampton Court.

Paris, I always get a musem pass, everything I've ever paid to see is on the pass except the Eiffel Tower.

Christopher from San Francisco

I'm assuming that you guys have traveled together before and travel well. Do either of you speak French? Paris feels like a no-brainer; it's beautiful, romantic, easy to walk (you could walk the entire city), myriad beautiful views, and they're not all speaking English, which, to me, makes the experience more memorable since you need to make a special effort and things feel more different.

May is getting into tourist time, so staying in a area outside of the typical, areas that can make you feel like you're part of a real neighborhood, would be advised (e.g. the 11th arrondissement — Popincourt/12th arrondissement – Reuilly or 17th arrondissement). Take a look at the blog "Paris by Mouth," or one of the Pudlo books for food, bread and drink recommendations.

Good luck, C

2. 11th arrondissement — Popincourt (metro area)
  3. 12th arrondissement – Reuilly (metro area)
  4. 17th arrondissement (metro area)

Kristin

Prague is an amazing city and highly recommended!  You could also check out Salzburg or Budapest while you are over in that area.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Salzburg (city)
  3. Budapest (city)

John from San Jose (California)

We spent a week in Paris on two occasions and likewise with london and Prague. There is much to see and do in all three cities. They all have companies that post schedules of different city walking tours. London Walks, Paris Walks, Prague Walks are all online to see. All these cities have great museums.

Prague is a small Paris with interesting castles out of town. The Karlštejn Castle rests on a foggy hill above a little town lined with craft and art stores as well as local restaurants with local cuisine.We were there once in October and the fall view was beautiful from the castle ramparts. The Konopiste Castle is another castle belonging to Ferdinand whose assassination started World War. It has a beautiful collection of weaponry and was the site of a historical movie with Edward Norton whose title I am not sure of. "The Magician?" The State Opera Prague and the cathedrals are beautiful and hold Mozart concerts in the summer. We love the beer too. Good luck choosing your two cities.

1. London Walks (attraction)
  2. Paris Walks (attraction)
  3. Prague Walks (attraction)
  4. Karlštejn Castle (attraction)
  5. The Konopiste Castle (attraction)
  6. State Opera Prague (attraction)

Howard

You will find that many museums in London are free (except special exhibits) so your money can go further there.  There are wonderful buildings to look at, both old and new (The Shard is the newest skyscraper on the skyline and is the tallest building in Europe).

Paris is full of wonderful architecture and museums, but it is the rare museum that is free.  That being said, we recently stayed in a nice hotel near Place de Clichy which put us off the touristy areas but withing easy reach by Metro and walking to many wonderful sites like Montmartre.  Walking through Paris is a treat in itself, and you get to see the places that the tour buses and the Metro skip past.

Prague is a city frozen in time.  The architecture will take your breathe away.  The Prague City Center is a UNESCO World Heritage site as it is a snapshot of Medieval Urbanism.  It has been 15 years since I have been there, but when I was costs were lower than one would expect.  Today may be a different story so a little research would go a long way on making sure it is affordable for you.

I have never been to Munich so I cannot speak to the pros and cons of that city.

1. The Shard (attraction)
  2. Place de Clichy (attraction)
  3. Montmartre (attraction)
  4. Prague (city)

Scott from Cesky Krumlov

With a day of travel on each end, you've really only got 6 days.  Add another travel day in the middle and you've got no vacation at all.  You'll barely be in the first city and your mind will focus on that next travel day.  I'd really recommend making only ONE stop.

Paris is completely overrated (unless you're an art addict) and the worst tourist trap with hugely inflated prices at all the popular places.  The locals hate tourists and the food is horrible.  Need I say more?

London is really nice, but when you're spending pounds instead of dollars, the money will go FAST.  I've had some really great times there, but at the end of the trip my wallet's crying.

Munich is quite nice for a few days, and your money will go further than the previously mentioned cities. Public transportation is a dream and you'd be able to get out to other cities for day trips, should you tire of the city early (and I did...)

Prague is the clear winner here.  There's no limit to how much time you can spend there and still discover new (and cool) things to see and do.  Your budget will stretch further than you think and it's a historical and architectural diamond.  The cafes and restaurants serve any kind of food you can wish for.  Plenty of galleries, churches and museums to fill your days.  Lots of evening action if that's your thing too.  You really can't go wrong here.  Spend a little more on your hotel, to be sure you're near (but not IN) the main square.  If you don't mind extra walking, stay on the west side of the river and you'll save a bit.  Public transportation is easy and cheap, just don't forget to buy a ticket for your luggage if you take it on the trams.  The police love to ticket tourists for this.  English is spoken nearly everywhere and unlike Munich or Paris, the locals don't seem to mind the tourists and will actually be NICE to you.  Have a great time!  (And be sure to do a day trip to Cesky Krumlov.  Drop me a line and I'll buy you both a coffee if I'm town.)

1. Prague (city)
  2. Cesky Krumlov (city)

Juli from Salem (Massachusetts)

Another idea is Spain. I would recommend Madrid and Segovia.  We were just there this spring and had the best time.  You could stay at the Hotel Mercure Santo Domingowhich is very centrally located and an interesting place in its own right.  You can walk to the Mercado de San Miguel and the Royal Palace of Madrid and many other interesting sites.  The Museo del Prado, and the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza are both awesome.  In Segovia there is an amazing aqueduct that is in pristine condition, and the views are incredible.  One of the best meals we ever had was at Restaurante José María in Segovia.  Segovia is about 1-1/2 hours outside of Madrid.  We spent a week between the two places and had the best vacation ever.

1. Madrid (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Hotel Mercure Santo Domingo (hotel)
  4. Mercado de San Miguel (restaurant)
  5. Museo del Prado (attraction)
  6. Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza (attraction)
  7. Restaurante José María (restaurant)
  8. Royal Palace of Madrid (attraction)

Mike from Malta

Hey Daryl,

I'm from Malta, an island in the Mediterranean and have been to all those cities except  Munich.  If you are into cuisine, museums and architecture then Paris is a must.  The Louvre can take a whole day.  The food is good albeit expensive and the city is beautiful.  Stay away from the restaurants in the main squares and streets as these tend to be tourist traps. The one thing which got on my nerves about Paris is that if you don't speak French you might be in for a frustrating time as few waiters make the effort to understand you.

If you have to choose between London and Prague, choose Prague.  London is fun although the weather and pace of the city can get tiring.  Prague is beautiful, relatively cheap and has some breathtaking views.

Hope this helps.

1. Munich (city)
  3. Louvre (neighborhood)
  5. Prague (city)

David from Júzcar

London AND Paris is a good idea.  I would also consider Paris and Prague, depending on your costs.  Prague has changed a lot in the last 10 years but is a beautiful city to visit with all the things you and your fiance find interesting.

3. Prague (city)

Bati from California

I wouldn't really do London on a honeymoon. (Plus London and Paris are very expensive!) I loved Prague and we also went to Krakow which we loved. You could do Munich and Neuschwanstein Castle which is very romantic. May is a lovely time to go.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Krakow (city)
  3. Munich (city)
  4. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)

Anne

Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. It is made for walking hand in hand and Parisans expect to see young lovers stopping for a kiss. The architecture, museums and food can not be matched.  We try to visit twice a year because of its unique magic and appeal.

Having said that we loved Prague on our one visit. People and views were fabulous and we plan to return. While we have visited the other two cities you mention they do not have nearly the charm or warmth of Paris and Prague. 

Remember if you visit two cites you lose a day to travel and it costs more money.  Neither Paris nor Prague could be explored in 8 days.  Either would be perfect for your whole honeymoon. 

2. Prague (city)

Felipe from Medellin

I would say London and Prague. London is outstanding, the nightlife, the atmosphere, the people, the energy you feel in london you can´t feel anywhere else, places like  South BankTate Modern GardensCandemSoho Square make london unique.

By the other side Prague is a cute city where all houses are perfect, and you feel peacefull.

1. South Bank (neighborhood)
  2. Tate Modern Gardens (attraction)
  3. Candem (attraction)
  4. Soho Square (region)

Scott from London

It has got to be Paris for me - the city of love. You could tie that in with a visit to London via the Eurostar. Or you could fly on to Barcelona which is another great European city.

3. Barcelona (city)

Laura from Buenos Aires

Paris and London are always a good choice and Paris is very romantic also. I'choose those two but if you want some place more quiet you could go to Paris and Prague.

3. Prague (city)

mona from Fayetteville

You would love Budapest!

1. Budapest (city)

Peter from Vienna

For an eight day vacation I would recommend you think about just staying in one city, or you visit a city close by, so you don't spent a lot of your time travelling. Your budget is not that big and a city like London or Paris is very expensive. I think Prague is the best choice for you. Not only because it is not that expensive, but because it is a beautiful city. If you want to explore more, you can easily reach e.g. Vienna by train, wich is fast and cheap. 

3. Prague (city)
  4. Vienna (city)

Dobariya from Ahmedabad

Dear Daryl Filippi, 

London and Paris are very costly, your budget is only $3000 that is not sufficient for 8 days honeymoon.

Hotels, Transportation, Foods are very costly in this two places.

if you have any query please ask feel free.

Sambhav from Ludhiana, Punjab, India

I suggest that you should definitely visit London and Prague

2. Prague (city)

Jerry from Florida

The best use of your time would be to do London and Paris. It would also be the most economical. Keep in mind that you will have other trips to Europe in your future. Suggest traveling London to Paris via the Chunnel.