Théo
Bordeaux

Where to live in East London ?

Hi everyone, I'm about to move to London. My school is located in City but living in that neighborhood is way too expensive for me. I would like to know which neighborhood in East London are less expensive without being unsafe or whatever...

Thank you :)

Valerie from Seattle

Théo, hi! I loved living in East London -- my school was near Holborn so I commuted through the city each day. There are plenty of cool neighborhoods to look in.

An important note: housing in London moves fast. I found that most flats were only on the market for 1-2 days before they were rented. This means you may have to move there, find temporary housing, and search once you're there.

I would recommend looking in places like Bethnal Green or Hoxton. These neighborhoods are a bit farther out of the city, but are probably some of the most affordable near central London.

I lived in Shadwell along the DLR -- it was actually great because there were some new developments in the area, and my flatmates and I were able to find something nice and not (too) expensive. Other areas near where I was include: Limehouse and Wapping. There are hidden gems in every neighborhood, so keep looking for good prices!

Finally, I'm not sure if you're planning on it, but roommates can really help keep housing costs down in London. I'd look into it if possible, especially if your fellow classmates are looking to live in the same areas.

Hope this helps! Have an amazing time!

1. Holborn (neighborhood)
  2. Bethnal Green (neighborhood)
  3. Hoxton (neighborhood)
  4. Shadwell (neighborhood)
  5. Limehouse (neighborhood)
  6. Wapping (neighborhood)

Betsy from Cleveland Heights, Ohio

I second that Hoxton is expensive. So is Shoreditch. They are both nice neighborhoods of course and worth looking at. My family lived in Stoke Newington in 2010 and while it was gentrifying quickly in the time we were there, it was cheaper than some of the other trendy east London neighborhoods. When we left in 2011, Clapton Square was up and coming. Parts of Bethnal Green are nice but can also be pricey as it's a bit closer in. If you're on a budget you may find yourself using the buses more than trains as buses are a flat fare whereas with the tube, you pay more generally the further you travel so look at bus maps not just tube maps when thinking about where to live.

1. Hoxton (neighborhood)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Stoke Newington (neighborhood)
  4. Clapton Square (attraction)
  5. Bethnal Green (neighborhood)

Esther from Tel Aviv

All great answers. You should also consider the Shoreditch area. Good luck.

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)

Krista from London

I think it all depends on your budget and how willing you are to commute. I love Hoxton but prices are up in Hoxton so it may not fit your budget. My main suggestion is to find a flat share with a nice group of people. That way, you are really maximizing your budget and making some friends in the process! Check out Gumtree for listings. 

1. Hoxton (neighborhood)