Mariska
Jakarta

London, United Kingdom, Europe

What's the best yet affordable places for 2 wks trip to London & Europe?

I'm planning to go to London for 2 weeks on a backpack. I don't want to stay only in London, but instead wanting to explore other places in united kingdom or several other countries nearby UK. Are there any recommended or must-go places and how to get there? I'm looking for either places with good view, local culinary or shops.

I also want to know how much budget should I prepare for a decent (not so luxurious, backpacker type) 2 weeks trip?

Anastasia from London

Hi Mariska,

There's lots of interesting places to try outside London. 

First, I would recommend Brighton (England) - it's fun and quirky and by the beach. You could visit the Brighton Pavilions, take a walk by the beach and explore the famous lanes (lots of vintage and independent shops). 

its really easy to get to by train (only 1 hour ish away). You can get the train from Victoria Station

There are also lots of backpacker dorm style rooms or cheap hotels in Brighton. I'm not sure of exact prices so wouldn't like to say but have a Google and see what you can get. 

Have fun and good luck!

Ana

1. Brighton (England) (city)
  2. Brighton Pavilions (hotel)
  3. Victoria Station (attraction)

Polly from Washington, DC

Even backpacking, London is on the expensive side. I'd budget at least £75 per day. Most of the surrounding countries are expensive as well, but if you want to travel outside England, I'd either add on Paris or Ireland. That said, London is worth four or five days on its own.

If you decide to stick to England for two weeks (I would - there's plenty to see and traveling shorter distances can save money), you have lots of options. Within a day's drive, you can visit Brighton (England), Canterbury, Oxford or Cambridge (England). Stonehenge is always popular, and lovers of Jane Austen's novels adore Bath. Highclere Castle has become popular thanks to the tv series Downton Abbey. The southwestern part of the country, from Southampton to Penzance, looks gorgeous as well.

Wherever you decide to go, enjoy, and best of luck with the budget!

3. Ireland (attraction)
  4. Brighton (England) (city)
  5. Canterbury (city)
  6. Oxford (attraction)
  7. Cambridge (England) (city)
  8. Stonehenge (attraction)
  9. Bath (city)
  10. Highclere Castle (attraction)
  11. Southampton (hotel)
  12. Penzance (city)

Josh from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Try www.couchsurfing.com - should be able to find people with a couch/guestroom for free. Often times they'll take you around as well which is great. 

Joanna from Oakland

Just read this article the other day- 

Best bets for an el cheapo European vacation in 2015

Has some good insight; enjoy!