Jessie
San Jose (California)

What's the Best Theatre show in London currently playing?

The wife and I will be in London for only 1 night in 2 weeks, and it happens to be a Monday night.  We would love to see some theatre, but would love some suggestions on where and what show.  We are open to pretty much anything as we are theatre fans.  I'm not sure if shows are dark on Mondays which would be a bummer, or if there are specific shows we should try and catch because they are on a short run, or have particular cast members or are in general a must see.  Any advice on where to get tickets and what to see would be greatly appreciated.

Alex from London

The hottest theatre tickets in London right now are arguably for Richard III, The Crucible, A Streetcar named Desire, albeit there are always loads of excellent options to choose from.  One good way of choosing the perfect play is to visit the major theatre sites: the Old Vic, Young Vic, Shaftsbury, Aldwych, Noel Coward, New London, Apollo, Savoy, Almeida, Gielgud, Duke of York, Theatre Royal, Trafalgar, Harold Pinter and, of course, the Globe and the National.

The same goes for musicals, currently playing or eminently opening: Wicked, Book of Mormon, Miss Saigon, Evita, The Lion King, Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Made in Dagenham, The Pajama Game, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc, etc.

Lastminute.com and londontheatre.co.uk are two good options to buying tickets online, but I prefer searching directly on each theatre site. 

Don't worry about it being a Monday, you are sure to find at least one good play on that day ;)

Hope you have a great time in London.

AJ

Katie from Lake District National Park

It depends what you're after. There are some fantastic musicals showing as always - personally I'm a huge fan of Wicked, so if you want to come away smiling and humming show tunes, maybe go for that. Les Mis is also a must-see.

However, if you're up for some intense Greek tragedy, go and see Medea at the National Theatre, starring Helen McRory. It's probably the best piece of theatre I've ever seen. When it finished, it was about 5 minutes before my mum and I even felt like getting up, and I've been thinking about it ever since. It isn't exactly a fun night out, because the subject matter is so dark, but the performances are excellent, and the staging of the play is superb. If Helen McRory doesn't get an Olivier Award for it this year, I'll be very surprised. 

I don't know what the ticket situation is for advance bookings, but you can always get day release tickets at the national if you turn up and queue on the morning. http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/your-visit/booking-information/cheap-theatre-tickets/day-tickets

Hope that helps, and you enjoy whatever it is you end up going to see.

K :-)

1. National Theatre (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

Sunday is London's dark night so no worries about there being a show.  Since you only have a day I doubt you'll want to spend your time waiting at the TKTS booth for discount tickets (if you do, go to the free standing booth in Leicester Square), you can buy tickets in advance at a discount at www.lastminute.co.uk or http://www.theatre.co.uk/

Depending on how good your local theater scene is, perhaps you've seen some of the big names (Jersey Boys, Book of Mormon, Lion King, Wicked, etc.), if you are looking for something with more of a London flavor, maybe try Jeeves and Wooster, I saw with a different cast so you might look for some current reviews, but I thought it was a hoot (Closing Sept 20).  39 Steps was also good, The Commitments was good, very similar to the movie, Once was good (saw it in Chicago though). 

You might have a look at Wolf Hall or Bringing up the Bodies, both are based on Hilary Mantel's books set in the time around when Henry VIII was king

stephanie from Nixa

I agree with the other answers, good advice. We have enjoyed wicked it is pretty amazing, Book of Mormon was wonderful just make sure you know what you are getting into but if you like this type of entertainment the creators of south park is known for you are in for a treat its worth the money, we also loved Once but we were big fans of the film and music so we were already hooked. I too always book directly with the theater but maybe the others will be cheaper. I just don't like to risk possible problems. Good luck at least this is a good problem to have since there are so many choices in London and really something for everyone. 

Kingsley from London

Forbidden Broadway is great fun at the Vaudeville Theatre especially as you are theatre fans. Miss Saigon is excellent at the Prince Edward Theatre or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a good laugh with Robert Lindsay at the Savoy Theatre and Bonnie Langford will be in it from16 September. For plays can I suggest Great Britain at the Haymarket (although the language is very ripe) or, as Ben Lee said, King Charles III has transferred to the Wyndham's Theatre and no, that is not "Part III" and you will not need to have seen parts one and two :-)

Also just to re-iterate my comments earlier, "crucible" and "Streetcar" and "Pajama Game" have closed and "The Lion King" and "Matilda" do not do Monday performances

For performances on 15 September Check http://londonshow.entstix.com/london-theatre?date=20140915&tickets=2

For performances on 22 Check http://londonshow.entstix.com/london-theatre?date=20140922&tickets=2

Sorry was unsure what Monday you meant.

Look out for ones with special offers.

IMPORTANT: the shows without special deals generally have a booking fee included ( that same fact goes for Lastminute etc) Always check the Face Value for tickets as a cheap one may be a great deal or a rubbish seat and an expensive ticket could be a brilliant seat or it could be a mediocre seat with a large booking fee... but as theatre fans you probably know that.

Don't buy from theatre websites as they tend not to discount but they are great for downloading the castlist etc so you don't have to splash out on a programme :-)

Most shows will have availability on a Monday if you just want to turn up - you will get seats at face value and they may give you a discount if you are cheeky enough to ask but "Day Seats" for the popular shows are limited, you have to queue for and not all theatres do them.

I hope you have a great time what ever you see

1. Vaudeville Theatre (attraction)
  2. Prince Edward Theatre (attraction)
  3. Savoy Theatre (attraction)
  4. Haymarket (attraction)
  5. Wyndham's Theatre (attraction)

Ben from London

For something smaller and a bit leftfield, I recommend King Charles III. I saw it at Almeida Theatre but I think it is being transferred to the West End soon. The theatre itself has great plays regularly.

Check this link - http://www.almeida.co.uk/event/kingcharleswe

1. Almeida Theatre (attraction)

Allison from Houston

I saw Once and it was awesome! I would suggest getting tickets Leicester Square TKTS booth. I got mine the day of the show and had a 3rd row seat for a cheap price. Check the schedule for shows because some might not show on Mondays. 

1. Leicester Square (attraction)

David from London

World’s longest running London classic Les Miserables is running with packed houses at the magnificent Queen's Theatre. Les Mierables Musical Show the award winning London classic show. The amazing London show is one of the longest running musicals of the world. It has been enjoyed by around 65 million people across the globe in 42 countries and 22 languages.

1. Queen's Theatre (attraction)