Lynn

What to do?

I have a really long layover in London (Heathrow) on my way home from France (arrive 11 AM, leave 7:30 the next morning).  How can I get into the city for a while?  Where can I leave my luggage?  How long into the evening do trains back to the airport run?  Anyone know a good place to sleep in Heathrow Airport?  Thanks for any help/ideas!

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hello Lynn.

You've got a lot of options. 

First, your baggage;  Heathrow has Left Baggage Storage facilities in terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5.  They're open daily from about 5:30am to 11:00pm.  Storing a bag for 24 hours will run about $26.00 (US).  So pack a day/overnight bag and hit the road.

Getting into town.  The Tube (Metro, subway) is the way to go.  There are three Tube stations at Heathrow.  They operate from 5:30am to 11:00pm.  For fares and maps go to

https://tfl.gov.uk/

Sleeping; Sleeping in the airport is never fun.  Heathrow is no exception.  You might want to consider taking a B&B for the evening, or perhaps a bed in a hostel.  If you're determined to sleep at the airport, then you may wish to check out a Yotel cabin.

Yotel is kind of like a train compartment, only at the airport.  They come complete with beds, toilets and showers.  They're rented by the hour, with a four hour minimum.  Most have automated check-in and check-outs, WiFi, TVs, workstations and multiple power points.  They're more expensive than a hostel, but far cheaper than a nice hotel room.  You can learn more at,

http://www.yotel.com/en

If it were me, I'd stay in town, probably at a B&B, then take an early train out to the airport.  That way I'd maximize my time in town, wringing out as much enjoyment of the time as I can.

Laurance from Los Angeles

There are express trains from Heathrow Airport to Paddington Station which has tube lines (not Bakerloo now). You can go to places like Piccadilly CircusTrafalgar SquareWestminster Abbey and Parliament Square easily. Buy an Oyster card for the tube to make tube travel easier.

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)
  2. Paddington Station (attraction)
  3. Piccadilly Circus (attraction)
  4. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
  5. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  6. Parliament Square (attraction)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Oops! I didn't see the A.m. - thought it was p.m. So, if you have never been to London, just pick out your favorite places you have wanted to see. If that is not an option,I would go to Hyde ParkAbbey RoadNew Oxford St. Have some wonderful pub meals. If you have the time, Greenwich is also quite interesting. And there are other places to see, such as Covent GardenHarrods. The list goes on and on.

1. Hyde Park (attraction)
  2. Abbey Road (attraction)
  3. New Oxford St (attraction)
  4. Greenwich (attraction)
  5. Covent Garden (attraction)
  6. Harrods (attraction)

colleen

Hop the tube to London - fast easy cheap!  Get a 1 day pass.  

Most museums are free, great food & shopping are all around you.