Katya
San Mateo

What month/week everything is blooming in London?

We are planning our honeymoon week in London and I want to make sure we come during spring when everything is blooming and the least rain. Any specific weeks of the specific month you can recommend for us to visit London in bloom?

Kevin

Katya,

I love London!  Great choice.  In fact, we love all of the UK -- there is a ton to see outside London also.  We lived in the UK for two years.

So, the most important thing to remember is - there are two season's in England: Winter (rain) and July.  You have to go prepared that it could rain a lot and then be pleasantly surprised when you have sunny days.  Rain in England is all part of the experience.

My favorite spring month in the UK is April.  There is typically less rainfall, the temperature is on the rise, and things are in bloom more than normal.    They observe good friday/Easter - which is 18-21 April next year.  There are two bank holidays in May on the 5th and 26th, so you will want to miss those weekends if you want to avoid crowds, or plan around those weekends if you want to be part of what might be happening -- for example, Covent Garden Market will have a lot going on those weekends and can be very interesting, but at the same time theatre tickets will be hard to get. You may also want to avoid the heavy tourist crowds of the summer months: J-J-A.

There are some great sites that will show you weather data in the UK - like http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Again, London is great -- but, don't overlook the beautiful castles in Wales, Bath, York, and all the beautiful countryside.  If you do stay around London, Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Gardens is beautiful!  Don't miss the London Eye, and Tower Of London.  There are also some great parks in London. Wicked in London is fabulous!

1. London Eye (attraction)
  2. Tower Of London (attraction)
  3. Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Gardens (attraction)
  4. Covent Garden Market (attraction)

Philip

To be fair, it often rains in July too :)
There are no guarantees - it's about maximising the probability! I echo what others say: mid-May is probably your single best bet for blossoms without snow, hehe. Snow is nice too though!

(Suppose I should clarify - we did have a bit of snow in April last year, but this is very rare!  April can have quite heavy showers though.. May safer!)

Rory from Taupo

If you want flowers, go in spring. Chelsea Flower Show is on 20-24 May. But if you want better weather, go in August.

1. Chelsea Flower Show (attraction)

j from Los Angeles

Unfortunately, London is hit and miss when it comes to weather.  You have your best chances in June and July of not getting drenched in rain, but it is also the high season for tourists as well.  I accept that London is rainy and foggy and just get on with it.  If you are really concerned about weather use "weatherspark.com".  Also, if you enjoy walking tours www.walks.com is AMAZING!  Look for tours with Tom.  He is hilarious and quite informative. And for eats you must go to Tayyab's off of Bricklane.  Cheers, Love.

Michael from Tacoma

In 2009, daffodils were in bloom in St James Squareon St. Patrick's Day (March 17th). London is located at 51° N Latitude (similar to Vancouver, Canada) and subject to Gulf Stream-driven temperate weather. Time for an internet search, I'd imagine. Have a great trip.

1. St James Square (attraction)

Nick from Berlin

Very hard to plan around the weather in the UK, April is particularly known for rain, so leave as late as you can – May could be nice....

I was there last June and there was a lot that was still going strong but I would say May is probably safest.  And the advice above to see  Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Gardens is a must!!! One of the most glorious places I've ever been!!!

1. Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Gardens (attraction)

colleen

Things are supposed to bloom in April / may except last year - April was cold cold .  May was beautiful!   

Charlotte from Amsterdam

Last year the weather was beautiful in May, parks were blooming London