June

What is the best Indian restaurant in London?

I heard there is a very good one in London.  Which is it and what should I order there?

Edward from London

You probably want to check out Tayyabs

www.tayyabs.co.uk/

Founded in 1972 Tayyab's is a family owned and run business in Whitechapel ... one of the most celebrated restaurants, not just in Whitechapel but in London.

I don't eat meat but the mixed grill platters looked amazing. It's also bring your own booze so grab some cans or bottles on the way.

1. Tayyabs (restaurant)

Valerie from Seattle

Mmm... Indian food in London. I can't speak to what you should order (I always love chicken tikka masala with naan), but there are two places that have the greatest renown:

Tayyabs - out in East London, this is one of the most popular restaurants in London, and when I lived there, it was THE most reviewed place in the entire city on Yelp. It's tucked away, and they don't take reservations. You may have to queue up to get a table, but they move people in and out quickly, and the restaurant is HUGE--it's not likely to be a long wait. Also, the restaurant is BYOB, so stock up at the Tesco Metro on your way from the tube/bus.

Roti Chai - the other place I've heard tons of chatter about, though I've actually never been. Unlike Tayyabs, Roti Chai is less traditional, serving dishes in a more 'tapas style' than larger sharing dishes (if that makes any sense). I do believe you CAN get reservations here, and you SHOULD if you can, because any restaurant in the area is likely to be busy during normal business hours.

It's likely that you heard of one of the two of these, but if not the case, maybe you should take a look at the restaurants along Brick Lane. It's the hotbed for ethnic cuisine like Indian food (you'll also find Pakistani and Bangladeshi, and others).

Bon appetite!

1. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  2. Tesco Metro (attraction)
  3. Roti Chai (restaurant)
  4. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Steph from Rome

Bombay Brasserie... http://www.bombaybrasserielondon.com/contact-us/ Maybe expensive but the best (for me)! It's opposite of gloucester tube next to Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington.

1. Bombay Brasserie (restaurant)
  2. Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington (hotel)

Jessi from London

I don't know if you could ever say that one restaurant is the best in London, but I've had amazing Indian food at Dishoom in Covent Garden (they also have a Shoreditch branch - Dishoom), and at Sagar, which also has branches across the city.

1. Dishoom (restaurant)
  2. Dishoom (restaurant)
  3. Sagar (restaurant)