Pamela

What are your favorite/must try restaurants in London?

Traveling to London in late December. What restaurants are "can't miss" during my visit? Can be high or low end, ethnic food ideas welcome.

Kingsley from London

Salieri on the Strand, just for the laughing waiter! Crusting Pipe for the buskers, Wong Kei just for the entertainment of some truly bad, but exceptionally fast, service and Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club because food and jazz just go! You can probably tell I am not much of a foody, but I hate a boring restaurant!

1. Salieri (restaurant)
  2. Crusting Pipe (restaurant)
  3. Wong Kei (restaurant)
  4. Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (restaurant)

Will

So much to try! I'm not really a fine dining type so these recommendations are all affordable to mid-range.

For a creative, seasonal and atmospheric meal in Soho I highly recommend 10 Greek St. The blackboard menus change daily and there is usually a meat special to share between two. The place is really small but they have used the space well. It gets very busy and you can't book so I recommend getting there relatively early, 6-7, putting your name down and going to Dog and Duck pub for a drink while you wait. If you're lucky you'll get seated straight away. Its not cheap but its not blow out (by London standards anyway) either, probably about £80 for three courses for two, booze and service.You definitely need to have a curry while you are here and while I agree with the earlier answer that Tayyabs should be high on your list, there are actually three great punjabi curry houses in Whitechapel. As well as Tayyabs there is Lahore Kebab House and Needoo Grill. My personal recommendation would be Needoo as it is the only one where you can book (and the booking actually means something!), the others you will have to queue and it can get stressful. Whichever one you go to, make damn sure you order the lamb chops as a starter!!!

You shouldn't come to London and not experience the booming burger scene. My favourite is Honest Burgers of which there are about 10 around town now. If you're staying centrally, there is one just off Oxford street or one in Soho round the corner from 10 Greek Street. However your tastes may differ and among the others I'd recommend are Patty & Bun, any branch of Byron - Proper HamburgersLucky Chip or Bleecker St. Burger which is still more of a street food operation but really good. The Bleecker Black is two patties with a black pudding in the middle so a must try for non-Brits!

My last recommendation would be to go to one of the street food markets at the weekend which have really taken off in the last few years. Don't listen to the guidebooks, Borough Market is way too crowded, full of tourists and is better for buying fresh produce to cook at home rather than actually getting something to eat there and then. It's still an atmospheric place but I wouldn't make it a priority as somewhere to go and eat. Broadway Market in Hackney is far superior for street food and much less touristy. There's usually some live music too and plenty of pubs/bars to sit in after you've eaten. It's also right next to London Fields,so if you get lucky with the weather you can eat sitting on a bench overlooking the park. Other market options are Maltby Street Market in Bermondsey which is also round the corner from lots of craft breweries, if that floats your boat. If you want a night food market check out Street Feast Dalston Yard which has loads of great street food stalls as well as lots of cocktail bars and beer stands. Check their website before you go though as they have a few locations that change all the time - http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/. Last time I checked they were opening up an indoor version for the winter so you should be good in December.

1. 10 Greek St (restaurant)
  2. Dog and Duck (restaurant)
  3. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  4. Lahore Kebab House (restaurant)
  5. Needoo Grill (restaurant)
  6. Honest Burgers (restaurant)
  7. Patty & Bun (restaurant)
  8. Byron - Proper Hamburgers (restaurant)
  9. Lucky Chip (restaurant)
  10. Bleecker St. Burger (attraction)
  11. Borough Market (attraction)
  12. Broadway Market (attraction)
  13. London Fields (restaurant)
  14. Maltby Street Market (attraction)
  15. Street Feast Dalston Yard (attraction)

Julie from Singapore

The The Anchor & Hope gastropub on The Cut is one of my favorite restaurants in London. I always recommend it to friends traveling there. You can't make reservations and there is usually a wait but it is worth it. They have a bar so you can grab a drink while you wait. For Indian food in East London I recommend Tayyabs.  It is BYO so if you fancy a beer or wine to go with your food be sure to pop into an off licence on your way. For an upscale meal, I love the vibe in The Wolseley.  I like to go there for brunch or lunch on the weekend but dinner would be lovely as well. Recommend making a reservation if you plan to go there. In Chelsea I recommend The Phene. It is a cozy pub tucked away down a residential street just off of Albert Bridge and a few blocks away from the shops on Kings Road. 

1. The Anchor & Hope (attraction)
  2. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  3. The Wolseley (restaurant)
  4. The Phene (restaurant)

Elaina

Here were my favorites in London:

Duck & Waffle- this is a must. You can't leave London and not come here! The name says it all. :)

Salt & Honey is a new(ish) spot that's perfect if you like seafood. AND their dessert menu is so so good. Go for the peanut butter choc pretzel, you won't regret it! Oh, and the service was fantastic!

The Truscott Cellar, Haverstock Hill, London is more tapas style but their wine list is one of the best i've ever seen. Great place for a light meal and a nice glass of wine :)

If you like pizza, Homeslice Pizza is a great restaurant. They have endless options and their pizzas are huge. Extra points for their great cocktails too! 

Rök Smokehouse is a great little place if you like smoked meats. I loved the duck legs and bacon. They also have pretty good coffee in the mornings too. 

1. Duck & Waffle (restaurant)
  2. Salt & Honey (restaurant)
  3. The Truscott Cellar, Haverstock Hill, London (restaurant)
  4. Homeslice Pizza (restaurant)
  5. Rök Smokehouse (restaurant)

Kat from London

Where to start?!

For a scrumptious bacon sandwich to start your day head to St. John Bread & Wine

For the best Fish n Chips try Poppies Fish & Chips, Spitalfields or Poppies Fish and Chips, Camden in a fun retro setting.

For the finest curries try Aladin in Brick Lane (head there on a Sunday morning for the famous markets).

For great vegetarian and vegan food go to My Village Cafe in Camden (more great markets here every day of the week).

And for the best food market head to Borough Market and Shell Seekers for hand-dived scallops, so very, very good!

For something quirky visit The Attendant, a fabulous cafe in a former gentleman's toilet!! Their salted caramel brownies are one of the best things I've ever tasted.

You'll find more info on some of these places and more suggestions in my blog post, Eating London.

Have a fabulous time!

Kat

1. St. John Bread & Wine (attraction)
  2. Poppies Fish & Chips, Spitalfields (restaurant)
  3. Poppies Fish and Chips, Camden (restaurant)
  4. Aladin (restaurant)
  5. My Village Cafe (restaurant)
  6. Borough Market (attraction)
  7. The Attendant (restaurant)

Tom from Chicago

Pamela,

Ok - several suggestions.  You can't visit London without hitting a gastro pub.  It may seem counterintuitive to find tasty meals at a bar, but I'm telling you, The Eagle on Farringdon Road is a gem and it's a very London-esque thing to do (finding a great gastro pub).  Next you should try South Asian cuisine.  If you are looking for louder, trendy, small-dish Indian-fusion type cuisine, try Dishoom in Shoreditch (they have another location in Soho/Covent Garden).  Expect long lines every night.  You can't make reservations without at least 6 in your party so be prepared to wait if you're less.  That said, their bar is a fun place to wait and filled with the hip, professional types.  Another favorite of mine is Chaat.  It's a quaint, little Bengali place in Shoreditch where you can enjoy a quiet evening in a cozy atmosphere sampling a variety of Bangladeshi dishes and chaats accompanied by any number of different wines.  It's a great date place.  If you're looking for some absolutely amazing Pakistani kebabs, you MUST try Tayyabs in Whitechapel (do not be a minute late for any reservations).  It's BYOB.  Tayyab's has the feel of an "upscale" kebab house with two floors and often frequented by local Londoners looking for a bit of spice.  For a much more no-frills, no-nonsense, authentic, and cheaper Pakistani kebab experience, definitely try Lahore Kebab House.  Finally, I used to go to this little Turkish place in Hackney called Yeni 01 Adana Restaurant.  It has the most succulent and flavorful chicken kofta kebabs I've ever tasted and amazing falafel if you're vegetarian.  It's cheap and easy to get seated. 

1. The Eagle (restaurant)
  2. Dishoom (restaurant)
  3. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  4. Chaat (restaurant)
  5. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  6. Lahore Kebab House (restaurant)
  7. Yeni 01 Adana Restaurant (restaurant)

Sameer from London

Burger & Lobster is a must try!

1. Burger & Lobster (restaurant)

Ed from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Go to Brixton Village Market. It has about every type of food you could want at incredible prices and has a wonderful, fun atmosphere.

1. Brixton Village Market (attraction)

Global from Grand Cayman

The Ledbury - incredible food and service for a special occasion. 

1. The Ledbury (restaurant)

Elissa from Los Angeles

1. Homeslice Pizza (restaurant)
  2. Wild Game Co. (restaurant)
  3. Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack (restaurant)
  4. Gail's Kitchen (restaurant)
  5. Riding House Café (restaurant)
  6. Percy & Founders (restaurant)
  7. Scoff & Banter Tea Rooms Oxford Street (restaurant)

Regan from Brooklyn

We had a really unique experience and delicious meal in the tiny, perfect African Kitchen Gallery.  It was highly recommended by some well-traveled friends and we were thrilled with it as it was different from anything I've tried on my travels.

1. African Kitchen Gallery (restaurant)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

I like Gordon's Wine Bar. I know it is touristy, but it is loads of fun. 

1. Gordon's Wine Bar (restaurant)

Callum from London, United Kingdom

Hi Pam - Aqua Shard at the Shard is my favourite restaurant in London, spectacular food, ambiance and probably the best views in town!

1. Aqua Shard (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Some of my absolute favorites are more street food-ish.  I love the Linguica sandwich at Brindisa Shop at Borough Market on a weekend.  Also, if you can find the Haloumi sandwich, and the Raclette grilled cheese (add onions and the works or don't bother) at Borough market, you will remember those too.  Then there's the chicken pot pie with mash and mushie peas at Square Pie in Old Spitalfields Market which is an absolute must (pro tip, sometimes I ask them to microwave it to heat it up a bit, but even so, I still think about it for weeks).  And of course there are the Curries - Noor Jahan is very good, so is Chutney Mary.  And finally, even though it's a chain, I love the hot chocolate at Caffè Nero.  

1. Brindisa Shop at Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Square Pie (restaurant)
  3. Old Spitalfields Market (attraction)
  4. Noor Jahan (restaurant)
  5. Chutney Mary (restaurant)
  6. Caffè Nero (restaurant)

Shamik

Got to try Blue Junction Bar & RestaurantBlue Junction - haven for authentic tandoor chicken and lamb. Curries are fab too. It also has a great bar with sports screenings for those not to miss sporting events. Great casual atmosphere and a minutes walk from Morden tube station.

1. Blue Junction Bar & Restaurant (restaurant)

Edna from Paris

These are my top must-visits in London:

Ceviche - Peruvian ceviche in Soho

Beigel Bake - perfection on a bagel

Masters Super Fish - non-fussy fish & chips

North Nineteen - very local pub for Sunday roast

I wrote more about them in this post: http://expatedna.com/2015/10/26/the-5-best-things-i-ate-in-london-the-greatest-hits/ Hope that helps and happy eating!

1. Ceviche (restaurant)
  2. Beigel Bake (restaurant)
  3. Masters Super Fish (restaurant)

Scott from London

If you like fine dining then Petrus or The Savoy Hotel would fit the bill. Both are run by Gordon Ramsay and offer great food and service. My tip is to go for the set lunch as it is a lot cheaper than dinner.

1. Petrus (restaurant)
  2. The Savoy Hotel (hotel)

Ben from London

If you love curry, Lahore One is the BEST place to eat by Whitechapel!

For a foodie market, you can't beat Broadway Market 

For a bit of art along with decent food, check out Tram Shed in Shoreditch with Damien Hirst art taking pride of place....check out the pictures when you google it ;)

1. Lahore One (restaurant)
  2. Broadway Market (attraction)