Julia
Lyon

What are the top 5 sights I can't miss in London?

According to you if there is one thing I can't miss in London, it would be...? Tell me about your favorite spot and why it is so special to you. Thank for you advice

Edward from Stockholm

Great answers so far and I also like the British Museum and the Tower of London but my favorite thing is Electric Cinema. This is much more than just a cinema showing movies: you sit in leather armchairs with footstools and side tables or in 2-seater sofas at the rear of the theatre or lay down in the six double beds in the front row. Snuggle up under a cashmere blanket with something from the bar (food/ice cream/cake/cocktails) in this beautiful room! See prices and what's showing here.

1. Electric Cinema (attraction)

Shannon from Helmsley

Hey Julia! I lived near The Regent's Park for two years which is a lovely place to run, catch up with friends, read and watch squirrels/swans! If you cross a bridge over the canal to another section of the park, there is a wonderful view of central London from the top of Primrose Hill I have fond memories of sitting admiring the view either alone or with loved ones and friends. It's great because you can feel like you are in the city, without being surrounded by lots of people and loud noises! This hill is about a 10 minute walk from Camden Town which is also a must-see! Happy travels :)

1. The Regent's Park (attraction)
  2. Primrose Hill (attraction)
  3. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Matthew from Hartlepool

I'd take the time to climb up to the roof of Saint Paul's Cathedral. It's an incredible building, even if you stay inside (the walkway around the inside of the dome is called the Whispering Gallery) but you can also walk outside the dome, and see a great view over London. 

1. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)

Sunil from United Kingdom

My suggestion would be the London Eye at dusk as you get to see (weather permitting !) many landmarks and the bonus of the same all lit up.

Online booking saves money and hassle as it gets you ahead of the huge summertime ticket queues.

The free 4D show is a must see ( especially for the kids)

Expensive but worthwhile experience.

1. London Eye (attraction)

Scott from Fort Collins

I grew up playing tennis, so I am a sucker for All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club.  Along with the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum, it is an amazing experience.  A temple to tennis.  The British Museum is especially close to my heart because I remember growing up being fascinated with many of the items, and cultures, they have on display.  From the Rosetta Stone, to Easter Island Maori Statues, to well preserved friezes of the Parthenon, to fascinating Egyptian mummies.  The museum is home to some incredibly historical artifacts.   

1. All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club (attraction)
  2. Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum (attraction)
  3. The British Museum (attraction)

Nicola from Kirkcaldy, Fife

I agree about Covent Garden, I think it encapsulates London perfectly. The chilled out hippy vibe, the independant shops, the variety of people, the fantastic performers singing excepts of famous musicals. I love people watching here, especially at breakfast time during the week when everyone is on their way to work. Leicester Square is good at night, especially if there is a film premier on, and the street food in Chinatown is fantastic.

1. Covent Garden (attraction)
  2. Leicester Square (attraction)
  3. Chinatown (attraction)

Nela from Bournemouth

Covent Garden is lovely in the evening (especially in the winter, there is a really nice cookie place Millies Cookies there, i would reccomend!) And Tower Hill is also really nice with a view of Tower Bridge, The shard and London Bridge!
And in Greenwich they have the Emirates Air Line Greenwich Peninsula Terminal (Emirates Air line cable car thing that goes across the Thames, with a pretty view!).
And you can do walks across the top of The O2 (the old millenium dome!) which again is quite cool

Hope these have given you some ideas!

1. Covent Garden (attraction)
  2. Millies Cookies (restaurant)
  3. Tower Hill (attraction)
  4. Greenwich (attraction)
  5. Emirates Air Line Greenwich Peninsula Terminal (attraction)
  6. The O2 (attraction)

The British Museum because even if you aren't a museum person (like me), they have such a HUGE variety of stuff-like the freizes from the Acropolis and the Rosetta Stone, that it keeps you entertained and in awe.  I'm a sucker for the royals, so I definitely think if you are there during the time they offer tours of Buckingham Palace you have to go.  It is wild!  The London Eye gives you the absolute best view of London, I know it is a cliche, but you can't get that view anywhere else.  If it is a clear day you can see all the way to Windsor Castle.  I love to people watch and wander at Covent Garden and if the weather is nice they have street performers.  And of course, get lost in Harrods.  The basement-where all the food is located-is absolute heaven.  And just like my husband, Wimbledon Park Tennis Court is my mecca.  Wimbledon is quite charming as well.

1. The British Museum (attraction)
  2. Buckingham Palace (attraction)
  3. London Eye (attraction)
  4. Covent Garden (attraction)
  5. Harrods (attraction)
  6. Wimbledon Park Tennis Court (attraction)
  7. Wimbledon (city)

Victorine from Strasbourg

Hi Julia, 

According to me, visiting London does not consist in seeing places in particular ; but walking in the streets of the different neighborhoods, to enjoy the special spirit of this amazing city. You should visit Notting Hill, Covent Garden, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus Travel Information Centre, the River Thames, Kensington and so on. 

If you're looking for a place in particular, I would answer the Tate Modern museum. And especially the view from the bar! 

Enjoy London!!! 

Vic

1. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
  2. Covent Garden (park)
  3. Oxford Circus (attraction)
  4. Piccadilly Circus Travel Information Centre (attraction)
  5. River Thames (attraction)
  6. Kensington (neighborhood)
  7. Tate Modern (attraction)

I totally second the The British Museum. It's one of the most amazing places I've ever been in my life--the rooms dedicated to the Enlightenment and displays upstairs of "hoards" of found treasure are just unbelievable. 

If I had to choose something after that it would definitely be the Tower Of London. If you're into British history it's beyond amazing. I've been there a couple of times and I can never fully absorb where I am. Just be sure to schedule a full day around it because it's big and expensive and takes at least a day to take in. 

1. The British Museum (attraction)
  2. Tower Of London (attraction)

Tigger from London
Some great ideas already here. If you want to get an overview, you should take a walking tour. There are free ones where they work for tips so worthwhile as you can pay what you think it is worth/can afford. I recommend free London walking tours if you want a a great guide for a couple of hours.

Laura from Buenos Aires

The The British Museum of course, Notting Hill, KensingtonKnightsbridgeHyde Park, a walk along the Thames from the London Eye to the Tower BridgeSoho, and all the little squares and semi-private gardens all around the city.

1. The British Museum (attraction)
  2. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
  3. Kensington (neighborhood)
  4. Knightsbridge (neighborhood)
  5. Hyde Park (attraction)
  6. London Eye (attraction)
  7. Tower Bridge (attraction)
  8. Soho (neighborhood)

Damian from Rosario

Hi!

Beyond the many beautiful places to visit in London, I recommend you to go at night to the south bank of the River Thames. On your right hand side you will see the extravagant figure of the City Hall next to Tower Bridge.

Step a photo is taken by me.

Good trip!

Damian.

1. City Hall (attraction)
  2. Tower Bridge (attraction)

Sarah from Paris

Hi Julia, 

I would definitively advise you to go to Camden Town, have a walk in the huge flea market and enjoy a multicultural lunch (there is a food market with a lot of countries represented there). 

Enjoy your stay in London ;)

1. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Krista from London

I absolutely love taking a boat ride down the Thames. It's a great way to see the city!! There are a number of different tour operators, some who take you farther inland than others. At night, it's amazingly lovely to go all the way down to the Albert Bridge which is usually lit up very prettily. 

1. Albert Bridge (attraction)

Lindsay from London

I absolutely love living in London because of all the wonderful, unique areas for people to experience. It's hard choosing just one but out of all the places in London to visit, you cannot miss seeing the Covent GardenGreenwich Market, Borough Market, Westminster Abbey and although super touristy, the London Eye is beautiful!

Premier Inn London County Hall HotelComfort Inn Buckingham Palace RoadThe Bloomsbury Hotel

1. Covent Garden (attraction)
  2. Greenwich Market (attraction)
  3. Borough Market (attraction)
  4. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  5. London Eye (attraction)
  6. Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel (hotel)
  7. Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace Road (hotel)
  8. The Bloomsbury Hotel (hotel)

Melissa from London

A trip to Greenwich Market Area if time allows. Very easy to reach on the overground. So many great pubs, museums and a fantastic market. 

1. Greenwich Market (attraction)

Catherine
Borough Market is a must see! And Columbia Rd Flower Market :) 

George
There’s so much to do in London!
It would be hard to fit these in top 5, but I will try. I definitely recommend going to Westminster Abbey and Maritime Museum . Other than that, it depends what you’re interested in. For outdoor activity, I recommend escape rooms. Also, you can find the top sights in Tripadvisor website. Reviews will be there as well.
Good luck. I’m sure you’ll have a great time whatever you decide to do.

1. Westminster Abbey (attraction)

Bonnie from United States

Borough Market is an amazing and beautiful market. Abbey Road if you're a Beatles fan. National Portrait Gallery is an amazing museum. London Eye is classic. The Orangery Restaurant for tea.

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Abbey Road (attraction)
  3. National Portrait Gallery (attraction)
  4. London Eye (attraction)
  5. The Orangery Restaurant (restaurant)

Michael

Albert Bridge in the evening, prettiest bridge in London when it's all lit up, heavily featured in many films about London. Just a short walk from the Chelsea Physic Garden and the Royal Hospital Chelsea Museum , finish it off with a  meal at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay for a truly perfect evening. 

1. Albert Bridge (attraction)
  2. Chelsea Physic Garden (attraction)
  3. Royal Hospital Chelsea Museum (attraction)
  4. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (restaurant)

Abbi from Northeast

The theater! I found inexpensive tickets at http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/tickets/specialofferstickets.html 

Take a hop-on-hop-off bus and sit on the top level for a whole circle listening to the tour. We used Big Bus, but I think they're all pretty much the same. 

Walk around the bridges - tower bridge, London bridge, millennium, black friar's, Westminster, etc - you'll see great views and most of the best sites.  

Notting Hill was a huge surprise - great food and entertainment, good place to shop for souvenirs, awesome local flavor 

On our last visit to London, we took the train for some day trips - the Cliffs of Dover and Stonehenge were my favorites! 

If you love Harry Potter, you can't miss the studio tour.