Wes
King of Prussia

Wes from King of Prussia asked

What are the must-sees on the East End?

I’ve been to London several times and I’ve always been a bit scared of the East End—it always seems a little gritty and dangerous but I’ve been persuaded by a friend to check it out when I go in April. What should I not miss while I’m there? Stores, restaurants, architecture, and bars are all welcome suggestions.

Sophie

The East End isn't so gritty and dangerous if you avoid the more out-of-town parts - it's actually one of the most gentrified places these days.  Shoreditch especially - hipster paradise! 

Brick Lane is a must-see, especially on a Sunday when there's  Brick Lane Market. Hop on the overground to Shoreditch High St or get the tube to Liverpool Street and walk from there. Grab an authentic Jewish-style bagel at the 24-hour Beigel Bake - a bargain, try the hot salt beef! There are plenty of nice pubs and bars around there as well, and lots of little independent shops selling quirky things. It's a nice place to explore!

If you're into vintage/second-hand clothing, there's a lot of vintage shops around Cheshire Street just off Brick Lane - further down there's the massive  Beyond Retro, a huge warehouse full of vintage clothes. Can be a bit pricey though, and if you're from the states you've probably got a better range over there!

Wes
I absolutely love bagels! I wonder how they compare to the New York ones. Guess I'll find out :) Thanks Sophie. East End sounds awesome!

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  2. Brick Lane (attraction)
  3. Brick Lane Market (attraction)
  4. Liverpool Street (attraction)
  5. Beigel Bake (restaurant)
  6. Cheshire Street (attraction)
  7. Brick Lane (attraction)
  8. Beyond Retro (attraction)
Edward from London

Hi wes. Your friend is right. Lots to see. I'd suggest a couple of things. 1st, go to Old Spitalfields Market, wander the market, check out the The Ten Bells (Apparently one of jack the rippers pubs) and eat in one of the many nice restaurants there, see Brick Lane, go to a club, like 93 Feet East, or bowling at All Star Lanes. It's all being redeveloped so it's very different from what it used to be.  

Also, get the tube to Wapping London Overground Station, go right out of the station and walk along the river. You'll pass old wharfs, lovely old pubs, Shadwell Basin, and you'll get a sense of what the working Thames used to be like. Eventually you'll get to Canary Wharf (60-90 mins), where you can do some shopping, visit the Museum of London Docklands (free and interesting, all about the sea trade, growth of the area, and slavery, worth your time). Theres a tapas place right on the river called Camino, great in summer.

The closest to the real east end is probably now Hackney though others might dispute this. Even the square east Enders was based on has £700k flats in it, times they are a changing'. You could go to mile end, walk along the canal and through Victoria Park to Hackney.  

Honestly, don't be scared, it's great over here...

edit: Have you been to Maritime Greenwich? the problem with the east end is lots of it got bombed in the 2nd WW, and traditionally it wasn't the place for architecture, but Greenwich has the naval colleges (lovely buildings) and the Meantime Brewing Company  in the grounds, the  National Maritime Museum, the  Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship and lots of old pubs and new restaurants. If you are a walker and get to canary wharf, there is a foot tunnel under the thames from Mudchute Park (south of Canary Wharf) to Greenwich.

Courtney
Phenomenal answer, Edward--makes me want to check it out!!!

These are such awesome suggestions! Thanks for sharing, Edward. I would've never thought that head that way in London!

Wes
Dang, I'm glad I asked! I'll definitely check out the East End now and no, I have not been to Maritime Greenwich, but it sounds like it's worth visiting. Thanks man! I'm looking forward to exploring a new part of London.

1. Old Spitalfields Market (attraction)
  2. The Ten Bells (attraction)
  3. Brick Lane (attraction)
  4. 93 Feet East (attraction)
  5. All Star Lanes (attraction)
  6. Wapping London Overground Station (attraction)
  7. Shadwell Basin (attraction)
  8. Canary Wharf (attraction)
  9. Museum of London Docklands (attraction)
  10. Camino (attraction)
  11. Victoria Park (attraction)
  12. Maritime Greenwich (attraction)
  13. Greenwich (attraction)
  14. Meantime Brewing Company (attraction)
  15. National Maritime Museum (attraction)
  16. Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship (attraction)
  17. Mudchute Park (attraction)
  18. Canary Wharf (attraction)
Garry from Germany

I love Royal Victoria Dock and the Thames Barrier. From RVD you can go over the Thames by Emirate Airline London Cable Car

Wes
Thank you Garry!

1. Royal Victoria Dock (attraction)
  2. Thames Barrier (attraction)
Edward from London

Also, what do you like? Walking, drinking, clubbing, history...? Let us know and we can advise more...

Hey Edward! If you want to ask for more clarification, best practice would be to ask from the "add comment" link right underneath the question. I'm a community manager here and wanted to pass that tip along. Thanks for sharing your expertise! :)

Edward
Hi Debbie, fair point, on the mobile version I didn't see an 'add comment' like, so just added as an answer. Will check the full site next time. Thanks.

Thanks so much for pointing that out, Edward! The mobile site is fairly new, and it's something that we're continually sprucing up, so that's very helpful feedback. By the way, anytime you have any questions or feedback, please drop me a line at debbie [at] trippy.com. Oh, and we're loving your answers here! :)

Edward
Always glad to impart knowledge

Wes
I'm not so much into clubbing, but I like everything else. Restaurant and bar hopping, seeing attractions, walking, etc. Thanks again man! Appreciate it!

Edward
If you search for Greenwich on trippy you'll find a bunch more posts on Greenwich from me and friend of mine. Let me know if u can't find and I'll link you.

Edward
If you cycle another plan would be to hire a Boris bike from near tower bridge and cycle around. Follow the river north side to canary wharf, through the afore mentioned Greenwich tunnel, and back along the south side. 2hr fast, 5 hrs leisurely with lunch. You'll pass right by my place.