Emily
Ann Arbor

What are the most popular neighborhoods in London?

Going to be in London for a few weeks this summer but can't figure out where to stay. Ideally looking to stay in a neighborhood that isn't touristy and where I can find a livelier, younger crowd. Can anyone give me a run down on what the different neighborhoods are like in London? I'd love hotel recommendations as well, where are the best places to stay in each area?

Valerie from Seattle

Ah, sweet London. My home away from home!

Here are my suggestions:

1. Angel - an increasingly hip area of town with tons of food and restaurants and bars and basically any amenity you might need. Easy access to Central London via tube and bus.
  2. Bermondsey St - still underrated but with a burgeoning foodie scene, housing is likely to be cheaper and more affordable, but you're walking distance from Southbank and the Tower Bridge.
  3. Clapham Junction - seems way down south, but with super easy trains to Waterloo Station, you can easily get to London, and have all the amenities you need.

I'm sure there are plenty more places, but I've stayed recently in all three (when I've visited) and each is good!

Have a great time!

1. Angel (attraction)
  2. Bermondsey St (attraction)
  3. Tower Bridge (attraction)
  4. Clapham Junction (attraction)
  5. Waterloo Station (attraction)

Zarina from London

I'm probably very prejudiced, but I highly recommend staying in the area where I live i.e. Shoreditch. This is London's trendiest area with great tube connections (into Central London in only 15 minutes!). My family and friends often stay at the Travelodge Hotel - London Bethnal Green which is very cheap if you book ahead of time, clean, with very friendly & helpful staff and less than a 2-min walk to the Central Line tube station which is a very convenient train line!

Else try to stay around Liverpool Street Station area, that's very convenient too.

The Ace Hotel Shoreditch is a very popular hotel. 

For things to do in the area: street markets around Brick Lane in the weekend (especially on Sunday), Columbia Road Flower Marketon Sundays and on Saturday the very popular Farmer's Market on the lovely Broadway Market that is filled with restaurants and pubs. 

In Shoreditch and Hoxton you will find many boutiques, shops, galleries, pubs, clubs, restaurants and amazing restaurants so lots to do!

Check out my website if you need more tips about the area: Dutch Girl in London.

Good luck and have fun! :-)

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  2. Travelodge Hotel - London Bethnal Green (hotel)
  3. Liverpool Street Station (attraction)
  4. Ace Hotel Shoreditch (hotel)
  5. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  6. Columbia Road Flower Market (attraction)
  7. Broadway Market (attraction)

Lucy from London

Hi Emily

Sounds like you want Hackney, Brixton or Islington :)

Loads of new openings in Hackney/Shoreditch around the Old Street area, if you're doing a hotel. If you don't mind being a bit further out (25/30 min underground in to the centre), Stoke Newington is a lovely part of East London with a market, lovely park, lots of cute shops and tons of trendy young residents.

1. Hackney (neighborhood)
  2. Brixton (neighborhood)
  3. Islington (neighborhood)
  4. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  5. Stoke Newington (neighborhood)

Martin from United Kingdom

I'd recommend somewhere around Shoreditch or Brick Lane. Very central and trendy. Great fun.

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Elspeth from Sheffield

Budget will probably be the strongest determining factor. Are you looking to rent a room/apartment, stay in hotels, air bnb? 

Then I would decide North or South of the river. Are you working? If so where do you need to get to? 

As has already been said Shoreditch, HoxtonBethnal Greenl are popular trendy areas for young people to live. Lots going on there but plenty of options. I would narrow down by travel considerations personally.  

Enjoy London.

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  2. Hoxton (neighborhood)
  3. Bethnal Green (neighborhood)

Camila De Freitas from São Paulo, Brazil

Hi Emily! Well, there are many different neighbourhoods in London. The city is divided by zones. Zones 2 and 3 are a little bit more distant from the center, so they're are more calm areas, more residential, with more trees and kids and stuff. For example: staying next to Richmond, you get to know an amazing park that not everybody goes to, with wild life running free in the place.
If you think about central London, there are interesting places like Shoreditch, Brick Lane, Southbank Centre, Camden Town. Try neighbourhoods nearby universities, might be a good one.
Hope I've helped you :) feel free to ask anything more you'd like to know
Take care! 

1. Richmond (neighborhood)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  4. Southbank Centre (attraction)
  5. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Mario from London, United Kingdom

Hackney is my favorite, specially near Victoria Park or London Fields (park)

1. Hackney (neighborhood)
  2. Victoria Park (attraction)
  3. London Fields (attraction)

Vonn from London

Brixton.  

Clapham Common

Shoreditch / Hoxton 

Dalston 

Angel Islington 

Shad Thames on the South bank  

London Bridge

Putney

All are a bit on the hip and happening side with their own vibe going on.

1. Brixton (neighborhood)
  2. Clapham Common (attraction)
  3. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  4. Hoxton (neighborhood)
  5. Dalston (attraction)
  6. Angel Islington (attraction)
  7. Shad Thames (attraction)
  8. London Bridge (attraction)
  9. Putney (neighborhood)

Emma from United Kingdom

Hi . Have you been yet ?  

If not, I would highly recommend Bermondsey , it's great has everything you need and it's right near Southbank .

1. Bermondsey (attraction)

Kemkem from Malaga

What Chris C. said :-) , especially Clapham. I know, l know..everybody says Shoreditch..go there for the day instead. Have fun!

Krista from London

Agree with the others. Go for Shoreditch or Bethnal Green for young and fun.

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  2. Bethnal Green (neighborhood)

nicolas from London

Hey, I would recommend you to find a place to stay around Angel or Shoreditch. You will find a lot of up and coming bars, restaurant and clubs.

1. Angel (attraction)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)

chris from London

Hi depends on what you want to, kids etc and budget but my suggestions would be - 

Richmond Hill fast tube and over land links to the west end (central london), leafy surburb, on the river, good shops, 30 mins to heathrow , near to hampton court and train links to windsor castle. Hotel Bingham. 

Soho, in town, lively, cosmopolitan , vibrant, in the west end , soho hotel. 

Clapham but pick carefully, between the commons or battersea rise, up and coming bit like greenwhich village in nyc, young trendy vibrant but only a few blocks away from not so goodareas 

Kings Road Chelsea shopping and sloanie mecca, near centre of town and all the museums in kensington, hotel blakes. 

Other areas I know less about Notting Hill HAMPSTEAD and kensington all good and safe.