Mara

T3 to T2 at Heathrow

I am arriving in London on Virgin air at 6:45am at T3 and have a departing flight on Aer Lingus to Dublin at T2 at 9:45am.  We will have checked luggage and will need to check back in and such at T2 after going through customs, etc.  Can anyone advise whether 3 hours is sufficient time? 

Mary from Leicester

I assume that you are taking two separately-booked flights rather than travelling on a through ticket? If you were travelling on a through ticket your bags would normally be checked through to Dublin.

First of all, Heathrow Airport Terminal 3T3 and T2 are adjacent to each other so you can walk between them, which does make things a little easier. This official page gives you info:

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/travel-between-terminals

Heathrow is a very busy airport indeed and early morning is particularly busy because of overnight flights from the US.  As a rule of thumb, you expect it to take around an hour from touchdown to being landside if you need to collect bags...but it can take longer. Note that early morning is a busy time.

If you have no inbound delay, you can hope (no guarantees!) to be landside at T3 around 0745.

Walking to T2 will take you around 10 minutes. Aer Lingus close check-in/bag-drop 45 minutes before departure (i.e. 0900).

Unless there is an inbound delay, or major issues at border control, I think 3 hours is more than sufficient time to transfer T3>T2. Having said that, I'd still advise you not to dawdle. Wait to use the toilet/have a coffee etc until you have checked-in and dropped off your bags at T2 and have gone through security. :-)

1. Heathrow Airport Terminal 3 (attraction)

colleen

You should be golden!  Try to check bags straight through if possible and just hustle over to your T2 gate.  I have done this with only 1.5 hours between flights and been OK in the past.  Except for any unforseen delays - you should not have to worry.  Have a great time!

Michael from San Leandro

I could not agree more. I did the terminal shuffle going thru to Nice and it took two and a half hours- touchdown to gate. What was bad for us was we only allowed two hours in between so we waited an extra three hours for the next flight. Don't dawdle is good advice.