Samuel
Porto

Samuel from Porto asked

Romantic dinner with a view over the Thames river.

What is the best place (restaurant/bar/other) for a romantic dinner  with an awesome view over the Thames river at night?

Edward from London

A few options for you. Firstly, Pont de la Tour is good. Personally I prefer  Butlers Wharf Chop House which is next door to Pont. Book early and ask for a view of the bridge.

Oxo Tower Bar is also very nice, with views of St Pauls.

A bit of a curve ball, you can also do a river cruise from near westminster. It takes around 2 hours and you get a 3 course dinner. There are a few different companies that do it.

Finally, you could look at the Heron Tower near liverpool street. There are a couple of restaurants there including sushi samba. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d3381993-Reviews-Sushisamba-London_England.html

Courtney
I've passed Butler's Wharf Chop House several times (I think coming back from the design museum) and wondered about it--now I'll have to try it next time! Great suggestions!

1. Butlers Wharf Chop House (restaurant)
  2. Oxo Tower Bar (attraction)
  3. Heron Tower (attraction)
Philip

The Cutty Sark Tavern pub in Greenwich (4 Ballast Quay, SE10 9PD) is a 17th Century building, with a lovely view over the  The O2 Arena or "The Dome" and the Canary Wharf. It has a nice restaurant with an good menu. Book a table up in the top room, which is called "The Crow's Nest" and has the best view!

Courtney
Great answer, Philip! I want to try out the Cutty Sark next time I'm in town! Also, don't forget, if you use the "@" symbol before you type in an attraction, restaurant, etc., it will map automatically on the right-hand side and create a list of all the things you've mentioned. It's a really fun feature of Trippy! I've inserted them here for you so you can see what I mean. :)

Philip
Hi Courtney - this is all well and good, but the Cutty Sark Pub is not the same place as the Cutty Sark Sailing ship.. which is why I didn't use the @ feature ;D They are about 15 mins apart on foot. At present it seems we users cannot add our own 'places' to the database. Sam C - It's well worth seeing the Cutty Sark herself too, for extra romance! Take the riverside walk from the ship to the pub, and you go past a bunch of cool 17th and 19th Century stuff.

Courtney
Hey, Philip--thanks for the heads up! I just changed it and it looks like I accidentally chose the wrong destination the first time around because I remember double checking the address--is it correct now? And remember, if you can't find something you can always email us and we'll figure it out for you!!! :)

1. Cutty Sark Tavern (attraction)
  2. The O2 Arena (attraction)
  3. Canary Wharf (attraction)
Gregory from Toronto

Le Pont de La Tour: Restaurant is a wonderful, romantic reston the south bank, just down from Tower Bridge www.lepontdelatour.co.uk

This place looks and sounds amazing, Greg! Thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the place in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer! :)

Hassan from Los Angeles

The Oxo Tower Bar is beautiful and perfect for a fancy occasion. It's pricey but worth it and completely memorable. 

Don't forget cafe options overlooking the Thames at the Tate Modern! A nice place to grab a drink and take in some art. 

1. Oxo Tower Bar (attraction)
  2. Tate Modern (attraction)
Michael from London

Great answers provided here for central London. For an alternative worth considering, look just a little further up river at Maidenhead with the Boulters Restaurant on Boulter's Lock

1. Maidenhead (city)