Dabs

Dabs from Chicago asked

Pre holiday visit to London

I've just booked a last minute trip to London for the 1st week of December, for those of you who have been to London during the month of December or live there, what are your favorite pre holiday activities?  Special museum exhibits, holiday themed plays, places that are decorated esp. for the holidays, holiday markets?  I've been to London many times so I'm specifically looking just for holiday related things to do.  Thanks!

One of my all-time most favorite artists on the planet is having a show at Anthropologie on King's Rd. His name is "Mr. Finch" and he does these absolutely to-die-for stuffed animals (which isn't something I've ever been into). Seriously, he work is beyond amazing--I even thought of trying to get to London to see this show. 

Here's a blog post about the exhibit:

http://www.anthropologie.eu/blog/mister-finch-living-in-a-fairy-tale-world/

Dabs
That looks interesting! Of course, I now have 8 days of stuff to cram into 5....

1. Anthropologie (attraction)
  2. King's Rd (attraction)
Mark from California

Try the Southbank Centre Winter Market! Over 70 stalls selling Christmas goods, gifts & foodie things. Don't forget to visit The Real Food Market around the back of the Centre on Belvedere Road. Enjoy!

1. Southbank Centre (attraction)
  2. The Real Food Market (attraction)
Rui from London

Hello Kristi,

I hope you're well. 

Winter related activities: Hyde Park, they will have a fair happening in December called Winter Wonderland

Museums: Science Museum, it has a great exhibition and they add things every once in a while. 

In terms of visiting or sight seeing you can go to London Bridge (it's quite nice and classy) and you can go Shoreditch (it's quite trendy nowadays, specially for bars and nightclubs).

Have fun,

Daniel 

1. Hyde Park (attraction)
  2. Science Museum (attraction)
  3. London Bridge (attraction)
  4. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
Sarah from London, England

There are so many things to do! There are plenty of ice rinks if you like to skate. Two popular ones are at Somerset House and the Natural History Museum.  

There is a big theme park with market stall and rides in Hyde Park, called Winter Wonderland. Personally I find it a bit too busy, but you should be ok during the first week in December. Last year we went to Kew Gardens after dark, they had a specially lit trail with Christmas lights. It was very pretty. There were also stalls with gifts to buy.  

I hope that gives you a starting point!

Thanks for sharing, Sarah! :)

Dabs
I haven't skated in 20 years, hopefully I can manage to stay upright!

1. Somerset House (attraction)
  2. Natural History Museum (attraction)
  3. Hyde Park (attraction)
  4. Kew Gardens (attraction)