Linda
Texas

Non touristy restaurants in London?

Hello again,  my family of five will be in London over the summer for a week.  I am generally a healthy eater so I'm looking for budget friendly, healthy restaurants in London to eat.  But on the occasions where I like to indulge I'm looking for some non touristy, budget friendly restaurants. I would like to see where the locals usually eat. Thank you so much for any advice!

Linda

Klaudia from London

Borough Market is lovely but filled with tourists . On a saturday especially ! head better on a weekday if you would like to check it out . Portobello Rd is in the same category bumper to bumper with people so keep the kids close . 

When I think budget and family restaurants I am thinking of the many chains that dot london. I have below select one location but if you google them you see there are many .  all would have good and bad choices but have a look at their menus and you can decide what is right for your family . Nando's Covent Garden Portuguese chicken places £7-£11 per meal  . Pod take away chain with a focus on healthy food, such a salmon and quinoa pots.£4-£5 per meal  LEON also in the takeaway (although you can eat in) fast good category but this one is a bit expensive for take out £6-7 per meal Tas Restaurant Waterloo chain of Turkish restaurants that have many healthy options £9-15 Wahaca lighter mexican then the usual tex mex . Also much better portion controlled then in the states £7-13 Zizzi Italian  chain very colorful with a selection of choices .£9-£12

now for some independent healthy great places to try, again this would greatly very where you will stay to make it local to you and your definition of heakthy . So here are some places I really enjoy. I love Ottolenghifresh , seasonal inspired  food . They have a couple outpost . A well know chef heads this up. The Good Life Eatery is lovely , brunch especially . 106 Baker St sandwiches salads all fresh made daily Cay Tre love this little Vietnamese place and Soho the area it's in is filled with many food options . A great date place with stunning views , and without the tourists is Blueprint Cafe. They do a very nice dinner market menu

2 courses for £20 and you can see the Thames and tower bridge .slick service great seasonal dood . At lunch they do 2 courses for £18 or 3 for 23 . They also have a le carrte but thats not as good value . 

Good luck enjoy ! Endless option in london when it comes to food . 

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Portobello Rd (attraction)
  3. Nando's Covent Garden (restaurant)
  4. Pod (restaurant)
  5. LEON (restaurant)
  6. Tas Restaurant Waterloo (restaurant)
  7. Wahaca (restaurant)
  8. Zizzi (restaurant)
  9. Ottolenghi (restaurant)
  10. The Good Life Eatery (restaurant)
  11. 106 Baker St (address)
  12. Cay Tre (restaurant)
  13. Soho (attraction)
  14. Blueprint Cafe (restaurant)

Michael

My local real pizza which started in Brixton Market has now become a small chain. Franco Manca, which serves an organic sourdough pizza, all organic ingredients, organic wine and soft drinks so no Coca Cola! The branch I have mentioned is currently in the heart of Italy's expatriate community and it is nearly always packed! Good food and very reasonable prices especially for the area (it's midway between the Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships!) For a light lunch try La Bottega just next door, again very popular with the local italian community. This the area for museums the Victoria & Albert MuseumNatural History Museum

Science Museum are all minutes away. La Pâtisserie des Rêves is also close by, the most amazing pastries, unfortunately the most amazing prices too!

1. Franco Manca (restaurant)
  2. Victoria & Albert Museum (attraction)
  3. Natural History Museum (attraction)
  4. Science Museum (attraction)
  5. La Bottega (restaurant)
  6. La Pâtisserie des Rêves (attraction)

Kingsley from London

Emily has written a great article about great, cheap eats in the West End at http://curious-london.co.uk/2015/03/21/eating-cheap-in-the-west-end/ no point in duplicating it here - all you need is at the link.  cheers!

Tuguldur from London

Another vote for Borough Market, and don't forget portobello markets

I have been told by number of friends to try out The Shed in Notting Hill. Each day is different menu and prices seem reasonable. 

Other notable mentions would be to try any one of the traditional pub grubs along the Hammersmith > Chiswick on the Thames Route, notably the The Dove (Dove).

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. portobello markets (attraction)
  3. The Shed (restaurant)
  4. Hammersmith (neighborhood)
  5. Chiswick (neighborhood)
  6. The Dove (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Go to Borough Market on a market day and there's something for everyone.  It's not a restaurant, it's a tremendous experience with food stalls and so many treats one cannot possibly eat them all.  But I recommend the Raclette grilled cheese with onions and garlic from that stand among many others.  Also, go to Spitalfields and there are a lot of options.  There is an organic vegetarian stand that serves a rainforrest bowl, and the best chicken pot pie on the planet Square Pie - make sure to get the mushy peas and potatoes too.  Plus there is a great chocolate store Montezuma's Chocolates and lots of great stands with goods galore.  

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Spitalfields (attraction)
  3. Square Pie (restaurant)
  4. Montezuma's Chocolates (restaurant)

Ben from London

Agree that all the markets are here you should head! The best one is Broadway Market on Saturday mornings so head there!

1. Broadway Market (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

I'd suggest having a browse through Brixton Market - this is an up and coming foodie area that's attracting a lot of buzz. You'll have a lot to choose from there. I'm also very fond of Borough Market - you can have a lot of fun sampling from the various traders and there is a range of stalls and restaurants with great food options. Both are very close to Tube stations.

1. Brixton Market (attraction)
  2. Borough Market (attraction)

Sarah from Hamburg

Hi Linda,
I like the breakfast club in Hoxton. It's a nice place to have breakfast, lunch or dinner (I could simply spend all day there) and it's also a great place for families.

1. Hoxton (neighborhood)

verity from London

I'd go for some of the chains around the thames near london bridge.

Dim T or Strada London bridge or the The Perkin Reveller which is right under Tower bridge so you could do that attraction in the afternoon?

1. Dim T (restaurant)
  2. The Perkin Reveller (restaurant)