Nunn
India

Nunn from India asked

Newcomer to London

What are the best places I should cover if I'll be on a 15 day trip to London for the very first time?

Caitlin from Thousand Oaks, California

Visit Borough Market, its a food lover's dream! 

1. Borough Market (attraction)
Sarah from London, England

I would recommend a walk along the South Bank. Take in Borough Market- go early to avoid the crowds, then continue to the Tate Modern and have a look there. I would walk across the bridge there to St Pauls too. You could also continue along Southbank to Waterloo Station and see the House Of Commons etc. 

If you like animals then London Zoo is great. Also the WWT in Barnes to see birds.

I also enjoy Kew Gardens if you like gardens. plants etc. 

If you enjoyed the olympics, consider a trip out to the East to Stratford to the London Aquatics Centre. You could also include the Emirates Air Line across the Thames. 

You'll want to take in Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square etc. I am sure.

Great answer, Sarah! So many wonderful things to do! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Sarah
Thank you Debbie

1. South Bank (neighborhood)
  2. Borough Market (attraction)
  3. Tate Modern (attraction)
  4. St Pauls (attraction)
  5. Waterloo Station (attraction)
  6. House Of Commons (attraction)
  7. London Zoo (attraction)
  8. WWT (attraction)
  9. Kew Gardens (attraction)
  10. Stratford (attraction)
  11. London Aquatics Centre (attraction)
  12. Buckingham Palace (attraction)
  13. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
Moses from London

Hi Nunn - you should definitely check out the Churchill War Museum Churchill War Rooms as part of your itinerary.

1. Churchill War Rooms (attraction)
Kelly from Los Angeles

How exciting! First thing I would do is get an Oyster card at your nearest Tube station, which will save you a few pounds in transit to some of London's most famous and popular places. 

One of my favorite things to do when I lived in London was taking a walk across the Millennium Bridge after a visit to the Tate Modern (Tate Modern). You'll be heading toward Saint Paul's Cathedral as you cross the bridge, which is a beautiful view. Check out the cathedral if you want, or board the 15 bus toward Tower Bridge. While you can walk, the 15 has one of the last classic Routemaster buses in its fleet, and it's a fun ride. When you get off the bus you'll have the perfect view of the Tower Bridge. Explore that area -- the TTower Of London is nearby, too -- and then get on a Thames Clippers (Thames Clipper) boat for a ride up river. Don't forget to show your Oyster card for a discount! From the river, you'll see some of London's renowned architecture, like the The Shard and Big Ben, but at a calm pace. 

Other recommendations: 

Borough Market(Borough Market): Try to go on a Thursday or Friday when it’s less crowded. You’ll find everything from burgers and empanadas to cakes and beers here. If you like coffee, Monmouth makes the best cup.

Victoria & Albert Museum V&A Museum Cafe): The museum itself is cool and all, but I think you'd be just as happy if you only stopped by the beautiful cafe. You can have tea and scones for around 10 pounds. Also, insider tip: Grab sandwiches for lunch, and enjoy them in Hyde Park a few blocks away. 

The Rock & Sole Plaice (Rock and Sole Plaice): Don’t be weary of the “World Famous Fish and Chips” sign. I tried a lot of fish and chips in the city, and this place was my favorite. And the best part? The portions are huge. 

1. Millennium Bridge (attraction)
  2. Tate Modern (attraction)
  3. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
  4. Tower Bridge (attraction)
  5. Tower Of London (attraction)
  6. Thames Clippers (attraction)
  7. The Shard (attraction)
  8. Big Ben (attraction)
  9. Borough Market (attraction)
  10. Victoria & Albert Museum (attraction)
  11. The Rock & Sole Plaice (restaurant)
Will

Hi Nunn,

I'd recommend visiting Brixton as it is one of the most interesting and vibrant parts of the capital. Plus it is slightly off the tourist trail so you won't see a souvenir shop in sight. What you will see is a big West African and Caribbean population that immigrated to the area after the WW2. Makes for a great melting pot and really lively atmosphere. Also you won't see more red buses anywhere else in London! 

On top of that, and a huge draw is the emerging food scene. It is home to two fantastic indoor markets, Market Row Wines and Brixton Village Market that house a myriad of street-food style restaurants. Definitely check out Franco Manca for awesome sourdough pizza and Honest Burgers for some of the city's best meat patties! 

If burgers are your thing then I am running a food tour of four of the city's best on Monday 18th, May. You can buy tickets here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/diagnosis-burger-tickets-16911465649.

Cheers,

Will

1. Market Row Wines (attraction)
  2. Brixton Village Market (attraction)
  3. Franco Manca (restaurant)
  4. Honest Burgers (restaurant)
Adam

Well worth exploring Saint Paul's Cathedral, climbing to the top of Monument to the Great Fire of London, visiting Shakespeare's Globe, and going out for a curry in Brick Lane

Jaleh from Baltimore

There are a ton of great things to do in London! The museums are great because most of them are free. Ones to check out would be National GalleryNational Portrait Gallery,  The British MuseumThe British Library, and the Tate Modern. Some other interesting activities are going to Hampton Court Palace right outside of the city, walking around Camden Town or Piccadilly Circus Travel Information Centre, and going into Westminster Abbey

1. National Gallery (attraction)
  2. National Portrait Gallery (attraction)
  3. The British Museum (attraction)
  4. The British Library (attraction)
  5. Tate Modern (attraction)
  6. Hampton Court Palace (attraction)
  7. Camden Town (neighborhood)
  8. Piccadilly Circus Travel Information Centre (attraction)
  9. Westminster Abbey (attraction)