Tanya
Ottawa

Nell Gwynn Hotel Apartments - clean?

Have been to the UK a few times, but this time we are travelling with a child which makes accomodation choices very different. We are contemplating an apartment hotel - Nell Gwynn - but I have read several conflicting reviews with regards to cleanliness, fraud and wi-fi issues. Does anyone know anything about this place near Sloane Square?

Mary from Leicester

I haven't stayed in this place but I'm from the UK and have stayed in  London many times. It's an exceptionally expensive city and, when it comes to accommodation, you get what you pay for.

You'll find conflicting reviews about almost all accommodation everywhere and for that reason I suggest you look at the 200+ reviews for these apartments on www.booking.com.  Why? Because reviews on this thoroughly reliable site, which I've used almost exclusively for 10+ years, in the UK, Europe and the US, can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay.

Reviews for Nell Gwynn House Apartments (which is not a hotel, so please don't expect hotel facilities) can be found top right of the hotel page:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/nell-gwynn-house-apartments.en-gb.html#tab-main

It's got an average review score of 7.9, which imo is nothing special. Personally, I prefer to choose accomm with a booking.com score of 8+.

Claudia from New York City

Hi Tanya,

I stayed in 4 different hotels while I was there in 2016, which was unusual for a trip of under a week. I did not stay at the Nell Gwynn apartments and can't comment about it.

Like Mary and Kim, I also look for scores of over 8.5 with at least 150+ reviews on Booking.com. Georgian House Hotel , near Victoria Station , was one of those that we booked via Booking.com. It now has over 1,000 reviews and a score of just 8.2. I think it was higher when I booked it two years ago. I enjoyed my 2 nights stay there. It's close to the station and restaurants.

Price aside, if you're looking for a clean and comfortable place with excellent service, I recommend The Kensington Hotel in South Kensington (8.8 score on Booking.com with over 700 reviews) and ME London by Melia (9.3 score and over 1,000 reviews) at The Strand (near Trafalgar Square). I stayed one night at each of these hotels.

I also stayed at the B+B Belgravia (8.1 score on Booking.com with over 500 reviews) for a night. It is affordable and close to Victoria Station. The B+B Belgravia also offers studio apartments called The Studios at 82.

1. Georgian House Hotel (hotel)
  2. Victoria Station (attraction)
  3. The Kensington Hotel (hotel)
  4. ME London (restaurant)
  5. B+B Belgravia (hotel)

Linda from Nashville

The location of Nell Gwynn is great but I have had friend who s stayed there and we're very, very, disappointed.. Cleanliness was below standard..Check out Air BNB and Home Away.. We have used them at least 10 times for our London accommodations and never disappointed.. Make sure you read the reviews.. Always check the area of the city.. For me With Kensington and Kensington near the high Street are the best..

Kim from Birmingham (England)

I’m also from the U.K., and I haven’t stayed in this particular place either, but I agree with the points Mary S has made. London is a very expensive city, and I also always choose my accommodation by checking booking.com reviews. I also agree that a score of less than 8/10 wouldn’t suit me - I look for scores of 8.5+ normally, but given the cost of staying in London, anything over 8 should be OK, and still reasonably affordable. You might find that staying a little further from the centre Hope you have a great stay :)