Katica
Dubrovnik

Must visit in 3 days

I am visiting London next week just for 3 days.

Any recommendation for a good restaurant that's not too touristy?

What is a must to see or visit in such a short time.

It's not my first visit, I've spent two months in London, but it was almost 20 years ago ...

Alex from London

Hi Katica,  

Might be fun for you to get off the beaten path a bit? 

In terms of places to visit, I would definitely suggest a walk in The City, between Monument to the Great Fire of London and Saint Paul's Cathedral (preferably on a weekday) to reconnect with some of the typical and beautiful London architecture while also admiring the newbies in town, such as the gherkin bldg. The area has changed much in 20 yrs! 

I always love a stroll in The Regent's Park finished with a walk up to Primrose Hill on a sunny day for some of the best views over London

You might also enjoy a visit to Tate Modern, perhaps even cross over from Saint Paul's Cathedral via Millennium Bridge? If you venture onto the Southbank then I would suggest that you take a walk along the river to London Bridge where you will have an excellent vantage point over The City's skyline from The Scoop and Potters Fields Park... or from the Shard (you can visit the observation deck or just get a drink at the lovely Aqua Shard bar). London Bridge is a great area for food and Borough Market is an absolute favourite amongst locals for lunch from thu-sat. Highly suggested! 

Another good area to eat is Farringdon, near Smithfield Market (SOS , St John's, Polpo, Vinoteca, Bleeding Heart Tavern etc). Clerkenwell is a really interesting neighborhood, mix of residential and creative/media industries. Two excellent llunch/brunch venues are located at the heart of the neighborhood, The Modern Pantry and Workshop Coffee Co. (Fitzrovia)

Lastly, perhaps go a bit further afield to discover culture rich Brixton(the market there is also an excellent lunch option), maritime Greenwich (you can take the Emirates skyline) or green Hampstead. 

Hope this gives you a few ideas....

1. Monument to the Great Fire of London (attraction)
  2. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
  3. The Regent's Park (attraction)
  4. Primrose Hill (attraction)
  6. Tate Modern (attraction)
  7. Millennium Bridge (attraction)
  8. London Bridge (attraction)
  9. The Scoop (attraction)
  10. Potters Fields Park (attraction)
  11. Borough Market (attraction)
  12. Farringdon (attraction)
  13. Smithfield Market (attraction)
  14. Polpo (restaurant)
  15. Vinoteca (attraction)
  16. Bleeding Heart Tavern (restaurant)
  17. Clerkenwell (attraction)
  18. The Modern Pantry (restaurant)
  19. Workshop Coffee Co. (Fitzrovia) (restaurant)
  20. Brixton (neighborhood)
  21. Greenwich (attraction)

Matthew from Copenhagen

I would definitely not miss Lyle's, The Clove Club or St. John Bread & Wine. For a glass of bubbly and an amazing hot dog go to Bubbledogs. And ask for Sandia. Her Husband James does a chefs table in the back call Kitchen Table. Happy hunting

1. Lyle's (restaurant)
  2. The Clove Club (restaurant)
  3. St. John Bread & Wine (attraction)
  4. Bubbledogs (restaurant)

Jade from Charleston

My husband and I visited this past summer, and by far, our favorite dinner was at Veeraswamy.  It is the oldest Indian restaurant in London, had great atmosphere and amazing food.  A little pricey but well worth it.  Pizza East had a great vibe and some interesting pizza options.  Looked like there were quite a few other fun places nearby - definitely worth checking out the area!

If you haven't toured the House Of ParliamentWestminster Abbey, or Saint Paul's Cathedral, they are all well worth it.  

We really enjoyed the view from the London Eye but wished we had gone a bit closer to dusk in order to see the skyline light up.

1. Veeraswamy (restaurant)
  2. Pizza East (restaurant)
  3. House Of Parliament (attraction)
  4. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  5. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
  6. London Eye (attraction)

Kemkem from Malaga

A good restaurant that is always busy with locals is Ziani in Chelsea. I have never been disappointed with their food. It is fine Italian cuisine. The service is fantastic, the ambience is lovely. The wine selection is great, and you will find yourself finishing every last bite of food. We go there every time we visit London. We actually tok our friends once who live in Surrey, and they say it has become their new favorite place, and worth driving down for. It is not the cheapest place, about £30 per person with starter, main course, wine and dessert. you can walk off the calories by window shopping King's Rd. Have fun!

1. Ziani (restaurant)
  2. Chelsea (neighborhood)
  3. King's Rd (attraction)

Chris

I enjoyed Viet Pho last time I was there. It wasn't too busy and it seems to be frequented by locals more than anything.

1. Viet Pho (restaurant)

Tigger from London

Hi Katica,

Well, although I am sure you have planned ahead, the first thing I would recommend is bringing layers of clothing. It's not all that cold in London currently but it could change any time and layering up will ensure you can be flexible with dealing with the weather. An umbrella might also be a good idea ;). 

There are so many restaurants in London, but it's always worth hunting around off the main streets and 'beaten track'.

In terms of how to spend your time definitely spend some time walking around, much like the other posts here suggest. If you need ideas and are on a budget this post might help: http://www.tiggerbird.com/2014/08/on-budget-free-and-discounted-things-to.html

The free walking tours are an absolute must - if you want one that is less crowded than Sandemans, which can feel like being herded round like sheep - I can highly recommend Free London Walking tours http://freelondonwalkingtours.com/

I hope this helps a little. Enjoy your visit.

x

Chiara from San Francisco

I lived in London years ago so I am not super updated. But I suggest that after 2 days doing the most touristy things you have to go to breathe the real London on the East side. Brick Lane Shoreditch Angel are cute spots full of nice shops, cafes and restaurants. It's the coolest and less touristy part of London!

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  2. Shoreditch (neighborhood)
  3. Angel (attraction)

Liran from Townville

Oh London...
The markets, Camden Town, SOHO... but if there's one thing I would recommend, is taking the alternative tour in Brick Lane and the area. 
Our guide was incredible, an artist who moved from France and you could have noticed it's her passion. She showed us buildings, graffiti, street art and a glimpse of history. 

Have a great time :)

1. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  2. Camden Town (neighborhood)

Kingsley from London

Make sure you get to see a show. During the week there are some excellent discounts on many of the top shows. Look out for special offers at http://londonshow.entstix.co.uk 'tis as good as any. 

Note: if you want to see a show that doesn't have a special offer, you may be best off going direct to the theatre!