James

Long weekend getaway ideas from London for the newly single?

I'm recently single and feel like I need a weekend away on my own. I'm based in London, 32 years of age. I don't mind treating myself or maybe roughing it. Snow, surf, relax, adventure, party, meditate. Any ideas?

Julie from York

Hi James

Get yourself north to beautiful Yorkshire. If you're into history, then Yorkhas it all going on. For the coast, you can't beat Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.

For outdoor adventures, head to the Yorkshire Dales for walking, caving and more. You can release your inner child at The Forbidden Corner, though you need to book tickets in advance. For nightlife, Leeds is a good city-scene with plenty of trendy bars if that's your thing. In lovely York (ok, I'm biased, it's my home city), there are some fab olde-worlde pubs, though you can get a good cocktail as well if you want (just don't ask for one in a pub!!)

Near York there is a Buddhist centre at Kilnwick Percy, if you fancy a spot of meditation http://www.madhyamaka.org/. The monks there also offer drop-in meditation sessions in York.

Further north and beyond Yorkshire, Newcastle Upon Tyne is a riot - great nightlife, beautiful Georgian architecture, and super-friendly people.

Have fun on your journeys. Solo travels are a blast, but there are plenty of places "ooop north" to drown your sorrows with a beer if you feel the need :) (and tonnes of meetup groups to meet the locals if you want company). Keep smilin' and enjoy your travels.

Julie

1. York (city)
  2. Whitby (city)
  3. Robin Hood's Bay (attraction)
  4. The Forbidden Corner (attraction)
  5. Leeds (city)
  6. Kilnwick Percy (city)
  7. Newcastle Upon Tyne (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello James.  Sorry to hear the news, but hope you can get some "me time" to start on your next journey in life.  Several things popped into my head.  I would consider the Scottish Highlands.  Maybe fly into Edinburgh, or Inverness and drive very slowly through the Highlands.  A beautiful area where the pace is slow. Great scotch distilleries, obviously.  Plus, you can always find some locals at the bar in any town to chat up.  Very friendly people up there.  Other places I thought about were Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz, for a more unique experience, Barcelonafor a little of everything, or maybe jumping the pond over to New York City.  While I haven't done it (it's on my short list), maybe head up to Iceland, or northern Denmark and take in the Aurora Borealis.  Hope that helps and enjoy your journey!

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Inverness (attraction)
  3. Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz (state)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  5. New York City (city)
  6. Iceland (country)

Marcus from Rio de Janeiro

Hi James. 

I think that now is not the best time because of the weather but I would suggest to you to go to Palma de Mallorca. There is a beautiful place and everybody should go there. 

Cheers mate.