Katarina

London on the Cheap

I am a young female looking to explore London for little to none money-wise, as I know it can be a money sucker.  What are some free or low cost things that you can't miss, maybe lesser-known things.

colleen

You can go see many of the sights for free (there is only a charge to enter and honestly the outside of the buildings are generally the most interesting part):  Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey, House Of Parliament, Tower Of London, Olympic Park, etc. The British Museum & others are free to enter.  I have been inside all  of these and can honestly say that the cost & wait in line are overated.  There are several markets that are great to explore: Borough Market, Camden Market (where punk is alive & well), Shoreditch House, Portobello Market .  You can ofcourse visit Harrods for free - beautiful interior & the famous Egyptian escalators.  Hampstead Heath is a beautiful area north of London along with all of the parks including Hyde Park and the famous Hyde Park Corner at the Marble Arch.  A walk along the Thames River will give you a great look at many of the landmarks and the same view as the pricey boat tours.  There is a nice hostel right at Trafalger Square if you dont have a place to stay yet.  It is in the heart of Soho  near Leicester Square & Mephisto Picadilly Circus tube stops.  The tube pass will get you both bus & tube service for 1 price.  Well worth the money.  Try Primark for shopping - not high quality but will have fashions & homegoods at the best costs in London. 

1. Buckingham Palace (attraction)
  2. London Bridge (attraction)
  3. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  4. House Of Parliament (attraction)
  5. Tower Of London (attraction)
  6. Olympic Park (attraction)
  7. The British Museum (attraction)
  8. Borough Market (attraction)
  9. Camden Market (attraction)
  10. Portobello Market (attraction)
  11. Harrods (attraction)
  12. Hampstead Heath (attraction)
  13. Hyde Park (attraction)
  14. Thames River (attraction)
  15. Mephisto Picadilly Circus (attraction)
  16. Leicester Square (attraction)
  17. Primark (attraction)
  18. Shoreditch House (hotel)
  19. Trafalgar Square (attraction)

Nikhil from Singapore

Me & my wife visited London on a very low budget. Our fave free (cheap) things to do in London...

1) Walk alog the Thames River 

2) Take a ride on the top-deck of any free double decker public transport red bus.

3) There are a few 45 mins to 1 Hr free walking tours conducted by some of the bus tour companies. We scored a change-of guard tour for free where the entire ceremony was properly explained.

4) Most museums in London are free, except for the "Special Exhibitions" sections. Here is a list to get you started: http://www.timeout.com/london/museums/free-museums-in-london

5) Hyde ParkTrafalgar SquareCamden Market are all free and lovely places. We found that the London Pass for 6 days was an excellent value for money as we got to cover lots of things like the Monument, Saint Paul's CathedralGlobe Theatre and lots of other interesting places. Also there are lots of street performers on South Bank Centre and even song at Westminster Abbey that are free.

You could check out our London experience at: 

http://nikhilanjalyadventures.blogspot.sg/

1. Thames River (attraction)
  2. Hyde Park (attraction)
  3. Camden Market (attraction)
  4. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
  5. Globe Theatre (attraction)
  6. South Bank Centre (attraction)
  7. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  8. Trafalgar Square (attraction)

Carrie

You can get free tickets to the Key Ceremony at the Tower Of London but you need to request them ahead of time.  This is the guard change and locking ceremony that has happened every single night for hundreds of years.  Truly not to be missed.  And FREE!!

1. Tower Of London (attraction)

Nathanaël from Lyon

Hi Katarina,

London is a great city but often known for being one of the world most expensive. And it's true that accomodations and activities can blow your budget. But I often go to London just to breathe the british air and for me it's a real breath of fresh air so I love this city lifestyle and Londoners mindset. The few last times I went there I didn't pay for any kind of activities and I enjoyed my stays even more than when I spent my time in waiting lines for "must sees" like Tower Of London, London Eye, ... What I prefer is walking (a lot) as I discover London under different views every time I visit a new district. I can recommend you to stroll in parks (like St James' Park to feed the squirels) and markets (Portobello Market, Camden Market).  There's also The British Museum.

1. St James' Park (attraction)
  2. London Eye (attraction)
  3. Tower Of London (attraction)
  4. Portobello Market (attraction)
  5. Camden Market (attraction)
  6. The British Museum (attraction)

Dan from London

As Colleen and Nathanel have mentioned, most all of the best museums are free - National Gallery, The British Museum, etc.  Enjoy the cultural things there (as London has A LOT of them).  

1. The British Museum (attraction)
  2. National Gallery (attraction)

Will

Hi Katarina,

I'd recommend checking out all the parks in London which cost nothing to enter. They are one of the best things about my hometown and something I miss a lot when I am away. We have loads and the weather is pretty good at the moment. Two I'd recommend are Greenwich Park and Brockwell Park. Both out of the centre and possibly not in your Lonely Planet guidebook but that makes them all the better. Brockwell Park in particular is much more of a locals hangout and both parks have great views of London if you walk to the top of the hills. If you are in Brockwell Park you can then walk on to Brixton Village Market for lots of awesome affordable food options. My recommendation is Honest Burgers for one of the city's finest burgers. If you are a burger fan then come on my burger tour this Monday 18th May (if you're in town). We're going to visit four of the city's best in one long afternoon. It will be lots of fun. Tickets here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/london-burger-crawl-tickets-16911465649 .

Have fun.

Will

1. Greenwich Park (attraction)
  2. Brockwell Park (attraction)
  3. Brixton Village Market (attraction)
  4. Honest Burgers (restaurant)

Edward from London

Greenwich is nice. You can visit the maritime museum for free, wander round the park and see the deer, walk to the royal observatory (costs £10 to go in) but the view from the top is amazing and free.They have a good market in the centre of greenwhich, you can see the cutty sark (very old tea clipper), it costs to go in, but it's free to look at and wander round. 

1. Greenwich (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

If you have kids in your life, one thing I enjoyed was to visit London Paddington Railway Station (PAD) where there's a huge Paddington Bear shop. You can buy a bear for the child and there are books and photos of locations mentioned in the books, etc. It's a different type of souviner hunt and I love that you actually connect childhood experience with a living location. 

1. London Paddington Railway Station (PAD) (attraction)