Livia
Sao Paulo

Location to rent an apartment in London

I'm planning going to London to study English and I'm planning to rent an apartment. Any suggestions?

Ewa from Gdansk

I'd go for zone 2-3, zone 1 will be veeeery expensive. You have to know though that the further from the centre you go, the more you'll have to pay for transport (if you decide to get the tube card, bus is the same everywhere). And yes, the contracts are quite problematic as mentioned above, they usually don't let you sign anything below 12 months... I'd check websites of universities (UCL, King's, Westminster, other) and their housing offer - there are lots of student houses but also rooms/apartments they help you find. For short term rental check gumtree etc. as people often want to sublet their rooms. 

Hannah from Portland

I'm a big fan of East London. The Spitalfields area has a really young vibe with lots of funky shops, the Old Spitalfields Market, and plenty of restaurants and bars. My favorite place to visit in the area is Old Truman Brewery. Brick Lane will allow you to take advantage of the plethora of Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi restaurants. 

Bethnal Green is another up and coming neighborhood. It's a little more rough around the edges but it's so easy to get around the city from there.

My biggest piece of advice is try to be as close as you can to a tube station. The overground is ok but, in my opinion, way less convenient as trains don't run as frequently. 

1. Spitalfields (attraction)
  2. Old Spitalfields Market (attraction)
  3. Old Truman Brewery (attraction)
  4. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  5. Bethnal Green (neighborhood)

Robin from France

It all depends what atmosphere you are looking for, and how much you are prepared to pay in rent.

If you want calm and nice environment I would suggest  North London : Hornsey Islington or Holloway are all nice.

If you want busy lifestyle, shopping, etc. and can afford a higher rent then West London will suit you best.

Also, my friends tell me that the best place to live for cheap if you like a very lively multi-cultural environment is Brixton which is the last station south on the Victoria line making it easy to commute to Central London.

I hope this helps !

1. Hornsey (neighborhood)
  2. Islington (neighborhood)
  3. Holloway (city)
  4. Brixton (neighborhood)

Juan Pablo from Bogota

For short term accommodation (<1 year) I suggest you to rather find a building for students so that you will save time, money and problems because of complex contracts with landlords. I stayed for a while in one of the buildings of Unite, check it out -->  http://www.unite-students.com/london | In addition to that, I also recommend you to choose a place in the same zone of your school, zone 1 is the best (more expensive$), 2 very good and so on. You will save a lot of money by doing so. Enjoy!