Amanda
United States

Good, Inexpensive Indian Restaurant

Where is a good/great but inexpensive place to get Indian food in London?  (A restaurant type place.)

Julie from Singapore

Hi Amanda - I recommend Tayyabs in East London. Really good food and atmosphere. There's generally a line unless you get there early. Also BYOB so be sure to pick up drinks ahead of time if you want them. Cheers, Julie 

1. Tayyabs (restaurant)

Giles from Portsmouth

I would say this is a difficult question to answer as every neighbourhood will have it's own Indian restaurant and typically they are good and cheap. Most restaurants that you think of as Indian are actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani. Brick Lane is the area with a lot of that type of restaurant. Otherwise Tooting in south London near Wimbledon is famous for South Indian restaurants which are generally vegetarian. Hope this helps.

1. Tooting (attraction)
  2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Dabs from Chicago

Punjab is a decently priced option in Covent Garden and I believe the oldest Indian restaurant in London, I was taken there by some locals and everyone enjoyed.  Masala Zone is a reasonably priced chain, I've eaten at several of the locations and have always enjoyed the food.  Mela Restaurant is another place locals have taken me, we found a 50% off deal on Top Table (which I think is now merged with Open Table).  Tayyabs is also great but as mentioned, expect a wait unless you go at an off time.

1. Punjab (restaurant)
  2. Masala Zone (restaurant)
  3. Mela Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Tayyabs (restaurant)

Ewa from Gdansk

Diwana Bhel Poori House, 121-123 Drummond Street NW1 :) I've lived above that place for some time and ate there quite often - great food for really good price. It's not a fancy place though.

1. Diwana Bhel Poori House (restaurant)

Jalile from Juiz de Fora

Go to Brick Lane and you will have the biggest choice of good and cheap Indian food per square meter. 

1. Brick Lane (neighborhood)

Ilias from Athens, Greece

There is a place called Sagar Vegetarian on 17 Percy street. Closest underground station is Goodge street station. They have big platters and lunch hour deals. I would say around 7-8 pounds per person, but it's large quantities and good food, so worth it. :)

1. Sagar Vegetarian (restaurant)

Alex from London

Imli Street in Soho is great for walk-in Indian street food.  One of favourite spots in London!

1. Imli Street (restaurant)