Colby
Providence

From Airport to London

I’ve never been to London before and have no idea how to get from Heathrow to the city. What’s the best, cheapest way to get there? I really don’t want to spend a lot of money (or time) just getting into town.

There are actually a few different options
  • Heathrow Connect Paddington (PAD) to Heathrow (HXX) train—a friend introduced me to this service and it was great. For just about 10 pounds this train will take you directly into London Paddington Railway Station (PAD). It takes about half an hour or so. After you’ve gone through customs, baggage claim, etc., there will be people who work for the service offering to sell you a ticket. Make sure that you buy a Heathrow Connect ticket and not a Express ticket which is more expensive. The way I remember it is to think of the “X” in Express like a “NO” warning (otherwise I can never remember the difference). 
  • If you’re lucky enough to be staying close to a tube station that is either on the Piccadilly Line or connects to it, you can take that directly into Heathrow Airport. I’ve done that and while it’s great and very convenient, it does take longer than say, Heathrow Connect, and I did have a hard time getting my luggage up and down the stairs on the tube (some guy finally rescued me). That said, it was only about five pounds, so you can’t beat the price!
  • There’s a company called “Hotel by Bus” that will get you there for about 22-ish pounds, but it will take longer to get into the city. 

1. London Paddington Railway Station (PAD) (attraction)
  2. Heathrow Airport (attraction)
  3. Heathrow Connect Paddington (PAD) to Heathrow (HXX) train (attraction)

I'm a Londoner. Use the underground, Picadilly line. You can pre-purchase an oyster card (travel card) at tfl.gov.uk I think.