Grant

Favorite Indian restaurant in London?

Hi everybody,

I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on their favorite Indian restaurant in London. I am heading over there in a few days and really want to indulge on a life changing Indian meal. I have tried Gymkhana and it was incredible, but want to try something new this time around. Thanks!

Grant 

Lucy from Hawkinge

Go to Rasoi in Chelsea - it is spectacular. It is one of the few Michelin Star Indian restaurants in the world and is set in an old English town house off the high street. Tiny and romantic in lay out, its menu is small, super fine and really well put together. Trust me; you'll love it.

I wrote a review of it on my food website, FoodGoblin - if you want to see more about Rasoi, read the full piece

1. Rasoi (restaurant)

Paul from Dublin

Grant,

At the top end, I love Amaya Restaurant Grill & Bar & Benares Restaurant, both Michelin-starred restaurants. They will be as good or better than Gymkhana and you will pay accordingly.

There are some great Pakistani restaurants in East London that I go to for great cheap food. My favourite is Lahore Kebab House (it’s not a kebab house!). If you’re over that way then go with low expectations and you’ll be pleasantly surprised. And bring your own booze as they don't  serve any but are happy for you to bring your own.

Paul

1. Amaya Restaurant Grill & Bar (restaurant)
  2. Benares Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Lahore Kebab House (restaurant)

Jacqui from London

We lived for 8 months in London and tried a different curry place almost every week. The best, by far, was The Greedy Cow delivery, but Tayyabs was also very good for an eat in meal. 

We now live in SW London and Clapham Tandoori is the best. We go there quite often and the service is very good. 

I think I know what I am getting for dinner now... :) 

1. The Greedy Cow (restaurant)
  2. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  3. Clapham Tandoori (restaurant)

Valerie from Seattle

Grant, have a great trip! I was just in London about 3 weeks ago, and it's always an amazing place to visit.

Here are my two cents about Indian food in London:

1. A lot of people talk up Roti Chai, but I had never been before. So when I was meeting up with friends for dinner, we decided to go there. I was, on the whole, not totally impressed -- the food was okay, the prices were high, and nothing really stood out.

2. If you want a really authentic experience Tayyabs is my favorite -- over just south of Brick Lane, it's known by any and all Eastsiders as the much better option. You may have to queue for a table, but they turn tables fast, the food is great and SUPER cheap, and it's BYOB!

3. If you are looking for my favorite Indian food in ALL OF ENGLAND, may I recommend River Spice in Brighton. It's an hour train ride from Blackfriars to Brighton (England), but the seaside town is totally charming and this particular restaurant knocks my socks off every. single. time. (You can also easily do a day trip to see the Brighton Pier, Brighton Pavilions, and much more!)

Hope this helps your planning! Bon voyage et appetit!

1. Roti Chai (restaurant)
  2. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  3. Brick Lane (attraction)
  4. River Spice (restaurant)
  5. Blackfriars (attraction)
  6. Brighton (England) (city)
  7. Brighton Pier (attraction)
  8. Brighton Pavilions (hotel)

Zarina from London

I live near Brick Lane where you find dozens of curry restaurants. The top end of the street has even been official renamed into 'Banglatown'. I haven't been able to find a good quality restaurant there yet though where they allow you to eat your meal in peace as most of those places just want to move people in and out as quick as possible. They depend on tourists coming in most of all. A few streets from Brick Lane is Tayyabs, a restaurant that is highly recommended by locals and in magazines. We went there for our wedding anniversary last year and thought the food was nice, but the atmosphere was horrible: our table was squashed into the table next to us, almost sitting on our neighbours' laps. Very unfriendly staff too and quite a nasty experience. There are many Indian restaurants in London and so far the best one for me is Namaaste Kitchen! They have great food which you can actually enjoy in peace and quiet and in a diner-friendly atmosphere. My personal winner!

1. Brick Lane (attraction)
  2. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  3. Namaaste Kitchen (restaurant)

Michael

Don't go to Brick Lane it has lots of "restaurants" which really only cater to drunken English tourists on a night out, Tayyabs walking distance from Brick Lane is good as is Mirch Masala also close by. Don't be fooled by Michelin starred "indian restaurants" they are designed to offer minimal food at maximum prices and have a relationship to real indian food as Mcdonalds is to real food. 

1. Tayyabs (restaurant)
  2. Mirch Masala (restaurant)

Shannon from Helmsley

Brick Lane is the famous road full of Indian restaurants. They are often off-license so you need to bring your own alcohol (which will save you money!) Go here and loads of reps will be giving you offers, trying to convince you to eat at their restaurant. If you barter with them you could get a really good deal. I would recommend Aladin though because the food is really great! Sometimes you can get online offers beforehand if you go on the website.

1. Brick Lane (attraction)
  2. Aladin (restaurant)

Ben from London

Easy! Lahore Oneis THE BEST curry in London!!!

Amazing kebabs & the chickpea curry is sensational!!!

If you want a Roti Canai, the best places to go are Malaysian restaurants - Malaysia Hall Canteen and Roti King are two of the best places to have it outside of Malaysia!!

Oh man, now i'm hungry.....

1. Lahore One (restaurant)
  2. Malaysia Hall Canteen (restaurant)
  3. Roti King (restaurant)

verity from London

For something really different and Indian you can try the Bombay Brasserie  as ive had numerous events and birthdays there.

Great location and a really swanky buffet and quite a celeb spot.

1. Bombay Brasserie (restaurant)

Scott from London

You should try the The Regency Club in Queensbury http://www.regencyclub.co.uk/ This place serves authentic indian food at reasonable prices and is the real deal. It gets busy so you may have to wait for a table, but it is worth it!

1. The Regency Club (restaurant)

Charles from Manhattan Beach

Went to Roti Chai a few weeks ago and loved it. If you're craving Indian Street Food in Central London, then this is an easy call.

The menu has something for everyone, so most diets are covered!

1. Roti Chai (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

My two favs are Noor Jahan, and Star Of India.   Also a good friend with excellent taste swears by Chutney Mary but I haven't tried it myself.  

1. Noor Jahan (restaurant)
  2. Star Of India (restaurant)
  3. Chutney Mary (restaurant)

Sarah from London, England

My very favourite indian restaurant in London is off the beaten track: Babur  The food is fantastic, and offers a twist on traditional curries. They do a fab cocktails too. Check out the menu on their website. My husband went to the Cinnamon Club for his Christmas meal with work - he had a set menu for lunch and said the food was good and great value. 

Hope that helps!

1. Babur (restaurant)
  2. Cinnamon Club (restaurant)