Gabriel

Family-friendly neighborhood in London?

My wife, 3yo son and I are exploring a 3-month stay in London. Looking for a short-term home rental in a safe and family friendly neighborhood just outside of London. Would like to use public transit to get into the city in under 30 minutes. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood that meets that criteria? Thanks!

Kemkem from Malaga

I would recommend Battersea . It is a great neighborhood. It is about a half hour ride on the bus to Oxford Circus, or you can take the train. There is Battersea Park close by. I think it would fit all your needs. You might also consider Clapham Junction.

1. Battersea (neighborhood)
  2. Oxford Circus (attraction)
  3. Battersea Park (attraction)
  4. Clapham Junction (attraction)

C from London

Hi Gabriel - what a great idea there are probably lots of places that might work for you but more info would help.  Like New York, London is big and it can take more than an hour to get into the centre from within town so it would be helpful to know if you really want to be outside town (so 30 minutes on a fast train?) or are just thinking 30 minutes into the centre for work/museums etc..  If its the first you still have to think about the extra 30 minutes it might take to get from your station to wherever it is you're going.

OK - that all said - St Albans is not far and yet quite buzzy or Berkhamsted but that's in one direction.  In the other you could try Reading (quite a big town ).  Completely different (much faster train for 45 mins) is Peterborough - when I worked there it was hell for singles but great for families with lots of kid centric activities and outdoor spaces. or you might fancy something near the sea? Brighton (England) (again a bit further ) or you could take a fast train ride from St. Pancras to places like Rochester (England). I could go on and on boringly - but perhaps this gives you an idea of the scope!  

By the way - I live about 35 minutes walk from covent garden and its takes me 30 minutes to get there by subway/bus ......... see the problem?

I hope you find your place - put more info in and i'll do some more exploring for you!

1. St Albans (city)
  2. Berkhamsted (city)
  3. Reading (city)
  4. Peterborough (city)
  5. Brighton (England) (city)
  6. Rochester (England) (city)

Brett from Eindhoven

My recent trip to London, I rented an apartment on W Parkside in North Greenwich. There were plenty of parks nearby and public transport to the North Greenwich Station, which is at The O2 and Emirates Air Line Greenwich Peninsula Terminal.  Within walking distance or a very short busride was a movie theater, supermarket, and other shopping, and it's just a short busride to Greenwich High Rd.

1. W Parkside (attraction)
  2. North Greenwich (attraction)
  3. The O2 (attraction)
  4. Emirates Air Line Greenwich Peninsula Terminal (attraction)
  5. Greenwich High Rd (attraction)

Ulrike from Leipzig, Germany

The area around Primrose Hill is nice.

1. Primrose Hill (attraction)

Jacqui from London

Hi Gabriel, 

In most parts of London you will find a great mix of people in every area. Some areas will have a "dodgy end" and a "good end" - so do be wary. 

You will find many nice areas in London's South West. For example, Clapham Junction is connected via national rail and overground trains to Victoria and central London. Clapham Common and Clapham South are very nice and connected to central London via the Northern Line in 30 minutes (busy at rush hour). 

Alternatively, most areas in South East London are also nice. Try Greenwich or near Blackheath or Crystal Palace

I don't know much about North or West London - sorry :)

J

1. Clapham Junction (attraction)
  2. Clapham Common (attraction)
  3. Clapham South (attraction)
  4. Greenwich (attraction)
  5. Blackheath (attraction)
  6. Crystal Palace (neighborhood)

Barbara-ann

London is a great city for children and there are plenty of places to stay close to the centre. Look for area's within zone 3 or 4 of Transport for London and you will be able to travel to the centre within 20 minutes. I am a south of the river person so favour areas like Crystal Palace and Dulwich(village/East or West) but there are many other options including Richmond, Greenwich, Crouch End, Hampstead Village.

1. Crystal Palace (neighborhood)
  2. Dulwich (neighborhood)
  3. Richmond (neighborhood)
  4. Greenwich (attraction)
  5. Crouch End (neighborhood)
  6. Hampstead Village (attraction)