Sagar

Do i need UK transit visa?

I will be travelling from Ahmedabad, India to Winnipeg, Canada. I am Indian national and have valid Canadian student visa (stamped on passport). My route is via Dubai and London (Gatwick) but there is long layover in London about 15 hours.
1) Do i need any transit visa to stay over night at airport. I will arriving in London at 8pm and then next departure to Winnipeg will be at 11am next day via West Jet.
2) Do i need pick up my luggage at London and go through the custom or not?

Your response will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Mary from Leicester
>Do i need pick up my luggage at London and go through the custom or not? 
If you have booked flights with 2 separate airlines you must go through border control (immigration), collect your bags, go through Customs and go 'landside'. That means you will enter the UK. It is unlikely that Westjet will allow you to check your bags more than 3 hours before the United Kingdom>Canada flight.
If you have a through ticket with the same airline for both flights the airline might transfer your bags for the second flight but I think that is unlikely with such a long layover. You must contact the airline directly to ask them.
Do i need any transit visa to stay over night at airport.
Unless your bags are checked through India > Canada by the airline or you have checked them in with Westjet you won't be able to go back airside at the airport. So you will almost certainly have to spend your layover time in the landside part of Gatwick airport (much noisier and less comfortable, unfortunately).
There is an official UK government website which answers your question about transit visas:

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Indian nationals normally need a UK transit visa whether they enter the UK or stay airside. 
There are some possible exceptions. The site states that you might be allowed to enter the UK (i.e. go landside) without a visa because you have a confirmed onward flight to Canada.
Please note the word 'might'. It means that whether you are allowed to enter the UK or not depends on the border officers who deal with you on the day. There are no guarantees.
It is up to you whether you decide to take that risk.
If you decide to get a transit visa and need to collect your bags, you must apply for a Visitor in Transit visa, which lasts for 48 hours:
https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa/visitor-in-transit-visa
If your bags are checked through from India > Canada (check with the airline first) you can stay airside and will need a Direct Airside Transit Visa:
https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa/direct-airside-transit-visa

1. United Kingdom (country)
  2. Canada (attraction)