Jaclyn
Toronto, ON, Canada

Decent Place to Stay

My cousin and I are planning a trip to London end of April. We'd like to stay somewhere downtown for a reasonable price. We understand this city is very expensive. We're just looking for a place to stay that's close to the main attractions but isn't too fancy. No hostels please. Any reviews of hotels would be great.

Ellen from Bristol

Hi Jaclyn,

I stayed here when I visited London:  Russell's of Clapton

http://www.sawdays.co.uk/special-places/britain/england/london/russell-s

For the amazing, cool East End location (but still really well connected!) and the great food, cool b&b and lovely Annette who runs the place, I think it's great value.

Plus Annette is full of advice and tips on local places to see, eat and go out..... she's a star!

She'll leave you a list of things to see and do, too and when i stayed she even came in the car to pick me up from the station.

I cant recommend it highly enough!

Have a lovely time!

Ellen x

1. East End (metro area)
  2. Russell's of Clapton (hotel)

Hi, Jacqlyn,

I'm not sure I would say there's a true downtown to London, but my go-to place there is the  Kensington Rooms Hotel London. It's very, very clean, centrally located and pretty cheap for London. 

I've also stayed at the  Hotel Belvedere which was OK--not nearly as good as the Kensington Rooms, but the people who run it are great and really got me out of a jam when my passport was stolen. I also stayed at the  Avon Hotel London on the same block which was also good. Again, not as good as Kensington, but very good and cheap. 

I would also look into the  Premier Inn and the  Corus Hotel Hyde Park as well. I haven't stayed there but a friend I travel with a lot has. 

Have a great time!!!

1. Kensington Rooms Hotel London (hotel)
  2. Hotel Belvedere (hotel)
  3. Avon Hotel London (hotel)
  4. Premier Inn (hotel)
  5. Corus Hotel Hyde Park (hotel)

Manish from Delhi

Hello Jaclyn,

I have listed some budget hotels below, and while doing so I have taken care of their proximity to the main attractions in the city of London.

Ibis London Shepherd's Bush 4 -Star (Ratings 4.5 / 5 on Booking.Com):- click here for the reviews. This hotel is conveniently located, it is near Shepherd's Bush underground station, and also about 15 minute walk from city centre. Although this hotel is located quite centrally, it comes with a higher price tag of $ 155 per night. Book Here

Travelodge Hotel - London Docklands 3-Star (Ratings 4/5) on Trip Advisor, click here for reviews: - This hotel is also centrally located. It is situated close to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Also in the area are the O2 Arena, ExCel Exhibition Centre, and Billingsgate Market. London City Airport is just over 2 miles from the hotel .This is a much cheaper option as compare to Ibis at $ 87 per night. Book Here.

Chelsea Guest House (Ratings 7.2/10 on Booking.Com): This is another budget option you can consider.  It offers accommodation close to a bus route and 100 meters Wandsworth Road Train Station. It has links to London Bridge and East London and will cost you $110 per night. Book Here.

I hope the information provided will be helpful to you, please feel free if you have any query.

1. Ibis London Shepherd's Bush (restaurant)
  2. Travelodge Hotel - London Docklands (restaurant)
  3. Chelsea Guest House (hotel)