Leong
Johor Bahru

Cheap meals to have in Central London?

Where can I have cheap but nice meals in Central London? My budget would be GBP5-10$

Ross from Fort Collins

Fish and chip stand with curry sauce! Look for one with a long line and enjoy. or any late night joint that is busy. When it comes to budget eating I always go with street food. There is an amazing taco truck if you can find it and it's the only good Mexican in London!

C from London

If you are visiting the South Bank arts complex, you could try the £5 set soup and sandwich deal at their new Kitchen area. 

Wagamama is a bit at the top end here but possible.

The markets are great but it always seems like their minimum is £7 - I work near Strutton Ground (Victoria in the centre of town) and usually end up skipping the market stalls as too expensive on a daily basis (though a great treat).

In Chinatown there are a few places that will meet your needs otherwise I'd stick to whereever you see a line of working people waiting for lunch - ordinary cafes that have set lunches - skip the musuem cafes and look outside the main centre.

have a look at Time Out's Cheap Eats too for hints - there are lots of places but only you know what your tummy will sing to!

1. Wagamama (restaurant)
  2. Strutton Ground (attraction)
  3. Chinatown (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

I'd head to the markets. You can get some great food at the various stallholders at Borough Market or also in the south-east at Maltby Street Market.

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Maltby Street Market (attraction)

Zarina from London

Not sure if you're still in London, but I would definitely recommend Gaby's Deli in Soho 30 Charing Cross Rd. It's in the heart of London's theatre land so you'd expect outrageous prices, but this (non-kosher) Jewish deli serves fantastic Mediterranean food as falafel, spinach and chickpeas, salt-beef sandwiches and much more for an extremely low price.

Be aware that it might get extremely busy before the matinee and evening theatre shows!

The nearest tube is Leicester Square Tube Station

1. 30 Charing Cross Rd (address)
  2. Leicester Square Tube Station (attraction)

Ulrike from Leipzig, Germany

Food For Thought or buy sushi at the Japan Centre 

1. Food For Thought (restaurant)
  2. Japan Centre (attraction)

Michael from Tacoma

Pret A Manger has a location opposite the National Portrait Gallery on Charing Cross Road near St. Martin-in-the-Fields. The food is freshly-made and quick. It's a good stop after a museum visit or between West End plays. If you're staying near Victoria Station / Pimlico, there's a SeafreshFish-and-Chips restaurant on Wilton Rd., not far from Belgrave Rd. A nearby Sainsbury's supermarket has a deli, a bakery and fresh fruit and vegetables, of course. The Red Lion on Duke of York St. between Jermyn St. and St. James Square, not far from Picadilly Sq., is a place I've visited since 1975 for a reasonably-priced pub lunch (prepared in-house) and a Fullers pint. It's small, often crowded, but it survived the Blitz in WWII and features Victorian decor and free Wi-Fi. If you are near Waterloo Station or need a doner kebab between the matinee at The Old Vic and an evening play at The Young Vic, the Capital Kebab House is a place I've visited for a quick meal. There are, of course, chips shops, kebab shops, Pret A Manger locations and Sainsburys markets all over London. Look for crowds, and locals, if possible to help your chances of finding a good spot.  

1. Pret A Manger (restaurant)
  2. Seafresh (restaurant)
  3. The Red Lion (restaurant)
  4. Capital Kebab House (restaurant)

Regan from Brooklyn

My two favorite foodie experiences were Borough Market and African Kitchen Gallery.  The latter was really exceptional in food, service and atmosphere--really diverse clientele from around the world, tiny dining room and the chef/proprieteur wandering around chatting with everyone.  It only has 4-6 tables and is only open I believe Wednesday through Saturday night, so call in advance.  Have fun!

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. African Kitchen Gallery (restaurant)

Jacqui from London

Hi! 

All over London you will find a variety of healthy and fast food chain restaurants that sell a box of sushi for as little as £4 per serving (try Itsu), a soup, salad, sandwich and a variety of ready made hot food for under £7 (try Pod, Pret a Manager and Eat). Supermarkets like Tesco, M&F Food and Sainsbury's you can get sandwich, a 32g packet of crisps and a 500ml soft drink for under £5. 

Brick Lane is great for a cheap curry (under £10) but you can find better curries in East London. Try Tayyabs in Whitechapel or Greedy Cow at Mile End. 

Many pubs around London will have weekday and weekend specials where you can get lunch for under £10. Pub roasts on Sundays and fish and chips are generally filling and great value for money. 

Turkish restaurant Haz has a great 2 course special and amazing, tasty food. 

Borough Markets is great. Brilliant and unique food, but it is not cheap. You will pay more than £5 for almost any lunch item - and it's not always open. 

Chinatown (between Leicester Square and Soho)  has some very cheap Asian food buffets during lunch and dinner times. 

If you are able to get a TasteCard (about £80 for a year subscription or £30 when on sale) you can visit a variety of independent restaurants and chain restaurants throughout London and pay 2 for 1 or get 50% off your total bill. 

Also check out websites like Groupon.co.uk, Amazon Local and Wowcher for discounted meals and deals. 

You can get some great food in London, so make sure you do splurge at least once! 

J

1. Chinatown (attraction)
  2. Leicester Square (attraction)
  3. Soho (attraction)

Chris from London

Without doubt, the place locals go for a cheap meal out in Central London is The Stockpot on Old Compton Street. Cheap, decent food and right in the middle of town.

1. The Stockpot (restaurant)

Dabs from Chicago

Fish and chips are under your amount, I like Poppies Fish and Chips, Camden and Laughing Halibut but there are plenty of places to get it.  There are stalls at the markets at Portobello Rd and Camden Market with lots of options under your amount, it's a nice place to spend a Sat or Sun afternoon.  Lots of places have sandwiches to go, I'm not a big pre packaged sandwich person but I usually just grab a baguette and some salami and make my own.  Try Sainsbury, Tesco, Eat, Pret-a-Manger.  Wagamama is probably at the top end of your budget, the food is good.  Kebabs/middle eastern food is cheap, I usually go to a place called Lolita near Paddington for my shawarma fix, huge amount of food for about 5£.  I've been meaning to try Bistro 1, their menu looks interesting and is under £10.  Look for pre theater deals around Leicester Square or try OpenTable/Top Table to see if you can get a 50% off deal, usually you have to buy multiple courses so not sure if you can get under £10.

You can get tap/table water if you ask for it for free, do that instead of ordering expensive soft drinks.

1. Poppies Fish and Chips, Camden (restaurant)
  2. Laughing Halibut (restaurant)
  3. Portobello Rd (attraction)
  4. Camden Market (attraction)
  5. Lolita (attraction)

Ben from London

100% the markets!

Borough Market is a classic. Spitalfields is a personal favourite and is near Brick Lane that has plenty of cheap curry and the Brick Lane Market on Sunday is good with plenty of street food.

A personal fave though is Broadway Market on Saturdays. Perfect & way more local.

1. Borough Market (attraction)
  2. Spitalfields (attraction)
  3. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  4. Brick Lane Market (attraction)
  5. Broadway Market (attraction)

Lee from Atlanta

I add to a post for solo travelers, alternative places to eat whenever i am in london.....not all the posts are under this link http://maturesolotravel.blogspot.com/2013/05/travel-warrior-day-4.html  but the web site has an update on st barthalowews, (dont go) and i will be adding dept store restaurants, several other churches and my new favorite was the huge whole foods in london

Tara from London

1. Pizza Express (restaurant)
  2. Zizzi (restaurant)