Katarina

Cheap Transportation Fares

I will be in England for about a month.  I'll be staying about an hour north of London, and will not have a car as I cannot drive in London due to the age difference.  I am only 16.  I am wondering the cheapest way to get to and from the northern town down to London as I will want to visit London as many days as I can, but I don't want to end up paying $30 every day to get there just in transportaion as then I will only be able to afford to go a few times.  What is the cheapest option that I can buy to get to and from the city multiple times.  I am a student, but I am not an English resident so I am pretty sure that I don't qualify for the student oyster pass.  Thanks for the help.

colleen

You can do a student oyster pass & do not have to be a UK citizen.  This is the best cheapest way to travel in London.  Go on line to the transit web site to check your location and travel options.  The pass works for a large area but I dont know how far north of London you are.  It works for tube/trains & bus.  You can but at the stations or online.  If on line they will send in the UK or charge you to send to you.

Michael from London

It doesn't sound like you will be too far North. Try the Transport For London website www.tfl.gov.uk for their journey planner to see if you will be within their coverage. Buses will always be cheaper, you just need to do a little research to know what bus and where to get it from.

The other thing that will help is the free App 'Journey Pro' which covers buses, tubes, overground trains and the river ferries. Hot tip - the post codes in the UK are super accurate, down to about a dozen houses. This means that when using journey planners you can put in the post code of where you are staying and it will make it all very simple for you.

If you are outside TFL coverage, then use either National Express, who are the main long distance coach operator, or www.thetrainline.com for train information. Make sure you are looking at off peak travel times as this will save you a lot.

For tickets, the Oyster Card is the best way to go when you are in London. The TFL web site will give you all the info on student tickets. Public transport in London is quite expensive, but the buses are the cheapest.

Have a great time in London.