Dee

Can someone recommend a guided tour of London for me, a female solo.

I will have flight and hotel paid for, but I would like to get to some kind of a group for 2-4 days to do some sight-seeing and eating.  Is there such a thing, reasonably priced, for the American tourist?

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

I've been to a great guided tour last year. It's called "Undiscovered London" and starts every day outside London Liverpool Street Railway Station (LST) at 11 am. We walked through the East End and our guide gave us a lot of interesting information about this creative and bohemian part of London (a lot of Graffiti and street art). I just showed up 10min before the tour started and paid 10 pds which is definitely ok for such a good tour but you can also get a ticket online for only 8 pds. Check out this homepage where you'll find a more detailed description of the tour: 

http://www.weareundiscovered.com/london/east-end-tour/ 

You may also have a look at the other tour they offer. It's a free guided tour which is more about the "main" sights of London. Hope that helped. :-) 

1. London Liverpool Street Railway Station (LST) (attraction)

Desiree from Kaohsiung

I did a Jack The Ripper Tour while I was there that was pretty fun. You meet outside Tower Hill London Underground Station and they take you on a walking tour of the area, ending near Spitalfields. There are a few different tours that do the exact same thing. Just meet outside the station at 7:30pm, pay your fee (approx. 7 GBP) and you're on your way.

1. Jack The Ripper Tour (attraction)
  2. Tower Hill London Underground Station (attraction)
  3. Spitalfields (attraction)

Steve

London Walks at http://www.walks.com/ offers guided tours of many of London most scenic and historical areas. Take one or many of their different walks, even pub crawls at night, a The Jack The Ripper Tour, or strolls along the Thames River.

From their website:

London Walks is the original (est. 1960s) London walking tour company whose hallmarks are an astonishing variety of routes, utter reliability, and – most important of all – superb guides. These are the finest walking tour guides in London.

London Walks guides include Donald Rumbelow, who is  "internationally recognised as the leading authority on Jack the Ripper". Britain's most distinguished crime historian, Donald is the former Curator of the Police Crime Museum, a two-time Chairman of the Crime Writer's Association, and the author of the definitive book on Jack the Ripper – the best-selling The Complete Jack the Ripper.

The London Walks lineup also includes The Maestro – the best ghost walk guide in London; the foremost authority on the Regent's Canal; a leading London historian; an officer of the City of London Historical Society; two eminent London archaeologists; the author of The Absolutely Essential Guide to London; the London Tourist Board's Guide of the Year; the barrister who is the Chairman of the Professional Tour Guides Association; several renowned actors and actresses; and the crème de la crème of professionally qualified Blue Badge and City of London Guides.

2. The Jack The Ripper Tour (attraction)
  3. Thames River (attraction)

Juliet from London

I recently went on a tour with company www.mosaicwalkingtours.com and really enjoyed it - they tend to do more thematic tours, which I found really interesting and they're very reasonably priced. If you want an eating tour then definitely look at http://eatinglondontours.co.uk/ I went on one of their tours in Rome and it was excellent and they get great reviews.

A lot of museums and art galleries in London offer free or reasonably priced tours of their museums, so look on their websites for those. 

John from San Jose (California)

Get a schedule online of "London Walks" (website). They have a variety of great guided tours, reasonably priced. In fact all the great cities of Europe have similar schedules. "Rome, Paris, Prague, etc, Walks."

1. London Walks (attraction)
  4. Prague (city)

Adallina

Recently, I went to secret food tours in London and really enjoyed it a lot. It's a nice tour: http://www.secretfoodtours.com/london/

Joel

Hi Dee, London is really easy to get around and I don't know a guide but if you want a nice experience where you get to know the locals I would suggest signing up for a dinner on eatwith.com where you can sign up for a dinner party with local chefs. A really fun experience. Have a nice time in London!

Claire from London

Hey Dee,

Do you like photography? These guys offer a basic but fun intro to photography / bit of exploring of London: Foto Ruta London www.foto-ruta.com

1. Foto Ruta London (attraction)

Dave

I would take the hop on hop off bus tours which might not be as detailed as some of the walking tours- but it gives a good overview of the history of the city and takes you around so you can get off the bus and explore areas that you are most interested in- here is the site- http://www.hoponhopoffplus.com/