cindy
Franklin Mi

London, Italy

Best place to take family with two teens/boys and one 22 year old/girl?

This is our first family trip to Europe. We'll be going in June, July or August of 2016. Our budget is mid range to higher. We like to rent houses normally on vacation but we'll be moving around so higher end hotels or condos would be great. We like sightseeing, eating, adventure, shopping, wineries, fun family stuff.

Marc from London

Lyn C. gave you some great places. I would add Camden Lock Market to that list as well. Bunch of good hotels centrally by Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square and Royal Horseguards Hotel is one of them. Knightsbridge has some good ones as well. Your 22 year old and the parents might also like to go out in Shoreditch which has a good nightlife.

1. Camden Lock Market (attraction)
  2. Covent Garden (attraction)
  3. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
  4. Royal Horseguards Hotel (hotel)
  5. Knightsbridge (neighborhood)
  6. Shoreditch (neighborhood)

Lynda from San Francisco

I agree with Camden Market for the scene and Borough Market for the food and the usual places like The British Museum and other places others have mentioned. You might also be interested in going to the Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garrett (near Borough Market). Interesting and a bit creepy.

The free walking tours is a great idea. Walk up to Primrose Hill for the sunset. Buy discount tickets the day of show for West End theatre shows. Shakespeare's Globe for a unique theatre experience. Agree that Shoreditch is a good area to see. 

I don't really have a favorite hotel in London. I always end up staying at a different hotel and the quality seems to change overnight. I would not stay anywhere but in the city though. I don't like having to take transit to be where I want to be. Look at the neighborhoods you think you'd like to find a place to stay. Getting within the city is super easy with the Underground. Have a great trip!

1. Camden Market (attraction)
  2. Borough Market (attraction)
  3. The British Museum (attraction)
  4. Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garrett (attraction)
  5. Primrose Hill (attraction)
  6. Shakespeare's Globe (attraction)
  7. Shoreditch (neighborhood)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Love London!   Love it! Love it! Love it!

About Lodging; On my first trip to London I met an American ex-pat who told me that all the hotels in London were not worth the money.  Either they are nice rooms that were over priced, or affordable rooms that are sub-par.  I have to admit I agree with him.  Here's an journal entry from my last trip to London.

Good News; My hotel room is a dirty little scuz hole.

Bad News; I’ve booked it for three days.

With all the booking site out there I'm sure you'll find something suitable.  You really don't need my recommendation. However, don't be afraid to consider looking outside the city,  You can simply take the train into town like a commuter.  I do this in many places.

About dining; London is not only cosmopolitan, but truly international.   About half the people who live in the city limits were born outside the UK.  The good thing is, brought their food with them. Yo Sushi has several locations. the food moves by you on a conveyer belt.  You take what you want and pay as you leave.  The color of the plate it's served on determines the price. 

There's great Indian food all over the place.  I remember enjoying Hot Stuff a great deal.  Restaurant Alabama is an African restaurant I enjoyed a lot.  Daquise serves wonderful Polish food in the South Kensington area.

Fortunately, it seems that traditional British food has been steadily moving back into the city.  Maybe it's just being rediscovered.  Either way, you may want consider the some of these; G. KELLY (Beef pie & mash), Newman Arms (Pints & pies),Wright Brothers Oyster & Porter House (Great seafood & Oysters), The Cock Tavern (Pints & eggs with things like black pudding, calves liver or deviled kidney), Square Pie (Meat pie, beans, mushy peas and of course, well poured pints).

As far as sightseeing is concerned, I'm sure you know most of the places.  I've been to, and enjoyed, The British Museum, the National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Saint Paul's Cathedral, St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square, ect.

However, these three are my personal favorites. The British Library is fascinating; Displays of early Bibles, the Magna Carta, and very cool Beatles exhibit.  The Imperial War Museum (Imperial War Museum).  Not only do they have a ton of top-notch military hardware (A Spitfire, a Buzz Bomb, and a V2 & more) but the have two incredible, life-sized, walk through dioramas.  One shows life in the trenches of the First World War.  The Second displays life during the blitz (WW2).  The Churchill War Rooms is the actual command center used by Winston Churchill during the dark days of the second world war.  Not long after the war in the Pacific ended orders came down to vacate the premises.  The doors were locked and everything lay undisturbed for 40 years.  Everything you see there is the real McCoy; The actual items used by Churchill, his Ministers and commanders.  Very cool, guys!

In closing let me suggest that you just get out & walk around.  There's no better way to get the feel of a place; to really feel the pulse of the city.  Walk along the Thames to the House of Parliament (and Big Ben Too!).  If you prefer, you can take one of the many organized walking tour available.  Themes run from Literary London to Jack the Ripper.

I hope you enjoy yourselves.  London is one great city!

,

1. Hot Stuff (restaurant)
  2. Restaurant Alabama (restaurant)
  3. Daquise (restaurant)
  4. G. KELLY (restaurant)
  5. Newman Arms (restaurant)
  6. Wright Brothers Oyster & Porter House (restaurant)
  7. The Cock Tavern (restaurant)
  8. Square Pie (restaurant)
  9. The British Museum (attraction)
  10. National Gallery (attraction)
  11. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
  12. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
  13. St Martin in the Fields (attraction)
  14. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
  15. The British Library (attraction)
  16. Imperial War Museum (attraction)
  17. Churchill War Rooms (attraction)
  18. House of Parliament (attraction)
  19. Big Ben (attraction)

Philip from London

Are you set on staying in London? Lots of other places in UK worth visiting if you are up for it: Bath, Oxford, York and The Lake District are all 'true' Britain - London has become a series of ethnic ghettos so you won't experience the real UK until you step beyond Greater London. 

2. Bath (city)
  3. Oxford (attraction)
  4. York (city)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

The London Eye is fun.  Greenwich, and all the other normal sight-seeing places in London.  Covent Garden, Borough Market.   Tower Of London is especially fun.  Number Sixteen is my favorite hotel in London but pricey.

1. London Eye (attraction)
  2. Greenwich (attraction)
  3. Covent Garden (attraction)
  4. Borough Market (attraction)
  5. Tower Of London (attraction)
  6. Number Sixteen (hotel)

John from Hollywood, Florida

Try doing the (free) Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. Though you need to move fast to get permission. 

Abena from Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

The last weekend in August is Nottinghill Carnival in London. Music, food and dancing in the streets. Awesome fun for the whole family. Sunday is great for younger kids and is full of Caribbean calypso music and Monday is when all the urban music sound systems come out laying plenty of hip hop, salsa, reggae and chart beats.

Mark

If your kids (or you) are at all into Harry Potter I highly recommend the  Harry Potter Studio Tour. It's a bus ride's distance outsite of London, but worth the trip. And I even more highly recommend the London Walks tours. They have many tours to choose from, including two Harry Potter walking tours (one of movie sites and one of book-related sites). Our kids loved them.

1. Harry Potter Studio Tour (attraction)