David
Philadelphia

Best high end dinner in London.

My family is going to London from December 30 to January 1st. We want to go to the best luxury dining experience in London. I have been told to check out the fat duck but it will be under renovation. Would love to hear some recommendations!

Michelle from Melbourne

You're spoiled for choice when it comes to eating out in London. Using the San Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants as a guide, there are two London entries in the top 10 - Dinner by Heston (ranked 5) and The Ledbury (ranked 10). Depending on the style of food you prefer, Dinner is an a la carte menu and The Ledbury is a tasting menu. Both are absolutely amazing. I've written blogs on both of these at http://thefoodieworld.blogspot.com

In terms of other high-end restaurants in London, you could try Le Gavroche, Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester. Fat Duck, as you know, is closed for renovations but it's not actually in London, rather in the village of Bray. If you were looking for luxe options within an hour/hour and a half's drive from London, perhaps The Waterside Inn or  Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons.

1. Dinner by Heston (restaurant)
  2. The Ledbury (restaurant)
  3. Le Gavroche (restaurant)
  4. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (restaurant)
  5. Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester (restaurant)
  6. Bray (region)
  7. The Waterside Inn (hotel)
  8. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons (restaurant)

Here are two recs that are totally on opposite ends of the "hip" spectrum but I love them both:

The Botanist - OMG, do I love this place. No question it's a bit of a scene and can be a bit loud, but it's so much fun. Some of the best people-watching in town and the food is great. I also just love that whole area in general. The food is also fabulous-try the oysters--they were some of the best I've ever had. Don't let the beer cans in this picture scare you--I promise this is a really great place--it's just that like a lot of restaurants in London there's some after-work outside drinking here. :)

I'd also have a look at Rules. I'll be honest--this place is a bit touristy but so much fun--it's the oldest restaurant in London and it looks just like what you would expect a London restaurant from the 1700s to look like. They serve lots of game and traditional British dishes (the menu warns you to look out for pellets when you're eating) so if that's not your thing, this is not a good choice. 

Just to throw one more in there, I love, love, love, love Fountain Restaurant at Fortnum & Mason. It's not crazy high-end, but it's high-end enough to have a dress code so think in those terms. It's a lovely, cheery, elegant little spot with great food and a fantastic atmosphere that I can see kids really enjoying. 

1. The Botanist (restaurant)
  2. Rules (restaurant)
  3. Fortnum & Mason (attraction)
  4. Fountain Restaurant (restaurant)

Moses from London

1. The Greenhouse (restaurant)
  2. Barrafina (restaurant)
  3. Sushisamba (attraction)
  4. Yashin Sushi (restaurant)
  5. Coya Restaurant London (restaurant)
  6. Le Gavroche (restaurant)

Adam

Le Gavroche is exceptional

also Corrigan's Mayfair

these are truly lux dining experiences

1. Le Gavroche (restaurant)
  2. Corrigan's Mayfair (restaurant)

Alyssa from Tallahassee

I had dinner at the OXO Restaurant, Bar and Brasserie once, and it provided not only a wonderful dining experience, but also some stunning views of the city! This was a few years back, so you will probably need to do some research online to find out if its what you're looking for, but I can definitely recommend it!

1. OXO Restaurant, Bar and Brasserie (restaurant)

Renzo from London

Even if not being renovated The Fat Duck is a bit out of town and not quite easy to get to. My recommendation for centrally located gourmet restaurants include The Ledbury in Notting Hill for impeccable modern European cuisine, Hutong for amazing views of London from the top floor of Europe's tallest building, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in posh Chelsea neighbourhood, or Dinner by Heston near Knightsbridge and Harrods. 

1. The Ledbury (restaurant)
  2. Hutong (restaurant)
  3. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (restaurant)
  4. Dinner by Heston (restaurant)