Tomas
Prague

London, Brighton (England), Eastbourne, Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth

4-5 days hiking trip around south England

I m planning 4-5days hiking trip with my girlfriend around south of england. We like nature more than history or buildings. We will fly to London and travel with bag. We dont want to rent a car, so we will travel by bus/train.

So far I have some highlights that we would like to see and we thinks it is worth to see them.

• From Eastbourne to Brighton around a see. There is Beachy Head and Seven Sisters park, probably we will go to Seaford or Newhaven and from there by bus to Brighton.
  • Brighton - I ve heard it is nice spa city also called "London at sea" so it might be nice to take one day there and look around abit and in afternoon or evening go by bus/train somewhere else.

From there I m a bit not sure where to go.

Can you tell me about some highlights of South Downs National Park and New Forest Park which you would recommend as nicest nature place?

Also we like Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove near Bournemouth, so our way should probably lead there and from Bournemouth we would take bus back to London.

Thanks for each advice.

Tomas

Edward from London

The New Forest is a nice place, and I'd recommend camping (if you're going spring/summer). It's close to Lulworth Cove. There are wild horses that wander about, plenty of camp sites, and a few pubs on the way. You can hire bicycles too. It's very close to Bournemouth, which has a nice beach and parks.

Hampshire (England) (South Downs) is lovely too, though I don't know it as well. Worth a visit, potentially on the way back to london from the New Forest, though doing it by bus might be hard. If you can afford a train, you could get a train in the morning into hampshire, hike for 1/2 day to another train station further north taking in the countryside, and get a later train back to London. Tickets might get pricy though.

1. New Forest (region)
  2. Bournemouth (city)
  3. Hampshire (England) (metro area)
  5. Lulworth Cove (attraction)

Ellen from Bristol

Hi there,

If you´re going to be in the South West at all, Bristol is a fabulous city to visit. You can easily get here by bus or train, and there are lots of great places to eat, landmarks to see and history to learn about. there are a few good tour guides around too - you can even do a cycling tour of the city! There is a YHA Bristol in the middle of the city right by the harbourside. I definitely recommend it as a place to visit!

1. Bristol (city)
  2. YHA Bristol (hotel)

Sarah from London

Brockenhurst( around 15 mins from Bournemouth via train) has multiple cycle hire shops at the train station. They give you a map of the trails around the New Forest, the wild ponies are lovely ( and abundant) just don't feed them. Megabus has very cheap EARLY trains towards Bournemouth from London, but you need to book well in advance. 

1. Brockenhurst (city)
  2. Bournemouth (city)
  3. New Forest (region)