Alex
Santa Cruz

Ljubljana

Should I see the Ljubljana Castle on a short stay?

During a trip to Croatia next May, I was thinking of heading up to Slovenia, specifically Ljubljana.  I keep reading about the Ljubljana Castle but when I look at it online it doesn't look that exciting. If I go, I'm only in town for about a couple of days so I don't want to squander my time. Should I see it or should I save it until I have more time? If I shouldn't see it, what alternatives do you suggest?  

Toni from Croatia

Hi Alex,

Ljubljana Castle is 468 km (300 miles) away from Split. Ljubljana is a beautiful city with many other attractions that you can savor but it'll take you at least two days to go there and back.

Another option is to head South to  Dubrovnik (227 km; 141 miles). You can rent a car in Split and visit various towns and islands along the Adriatic coast on your way to Dubrovnik.  Makarska and  Korcula Island are two must-sees on your way to Dubrovnik. Driving on the coastal road ( Route 8) will be one of the most amazing drives of your life.

1. Ljubljana Castle (attraction)
  2. Ljubljana (city)
  3. Dubrovnik (city)
  4. Makarska (city)
  5. Korcula (island)
  6. Route 8 (attraction)

Gill

Hi Alex

My partner & I were in Ljubljana for a couple of days last summer, & we loved the city. It's small enough to see most things within that timescale, including the castle, but obviously depends on your preferences. We went up to the Ljubljana Castle on our 1st afternoon & were glad we did. It's a good vantage point to get your bearings for the whole city, & the funicular ride up is fun. We actually didn't spend that much time up there, but there was plenty of stuff to see if you're into history, archaeology etc. We preferred the Bled Castle, & would definitely recommend heading over there if your schedule allows. 

Hope you have a great trip

Gill

PS here's a link to our Trip Report on TripAdvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274862-i501-k6720507-Trip_Report_Part_2_Ljubljana-Slovenia.html#51733840

1. Ljubljana Castle (attraction)
  2. Bled Castle (attraction)

LV from Huntington Beach

Slovenia is truly the hidden gem of Europe!  If you have an opportunity to venture off the beaten path and head north to Ljubljana, definitely visit the castle, but don't miss the chance to experience Postojna Cave, an awesome attraction and one that reveals more of Slovenia's unique majesty.  If you visit Ljubljana you must go another 45min northwest and visit Bled, one of the most beautiful and enchanting small towns I've ever visited - amazing food, stunning scenery courtesy of the Julian Alps, and an enchanting lake with a little island in the middle accessible by wooden row boats.  And if castles are your fancy, Bled Castle overlooks the entire town and will make your trip worth it.  Have a blast!  (and make sure to enjoy the local bread and wine, incredible)

1. Ljubljana (city)
  2. Postojna Cave (attraction)
  3. Bled (city)
  4. Bled Castle (attraction)

Lojze

You can go there up and down from the center of the city in one hour. It offers a nice view over small city, so it does make sense.