Alan asked

Transport from Kaunas to Kernave

My wife and I will be making a return visit to Lithuania next year and will be visiting Kernave for a few days for Jonines. We will be in Kaunas for the week prior to that and flying out of Vilnius the next day. What is the best way of getting from Kaunas to Kernave and back, please?

Lithuania   Kaunas (Lithuania)   Vilnius (Lithuania)   Kernavė (Lithuania)

Mary from Leicester
The easiest way from Kaunas to Kernavė...in fact,  the only way unless you use a taxi or rent a car....is to take the bus (which may well be a minibus). There are several departures every day, all with at least one 'connection' (i.e. change of bus). Journey time is from just over 2.5 hours. You can get tickets from the bus station on the day or...my own preference...the day before. The official site will give you departure & journey times for your date:
https://www.autobusubilietai.lt/
There is an online ticket option but it is not something I have used.
Kaunas bus station is fairly central and pretty easy to find. Staff will be able to sort out tickets for you though you might want to write down the destination, time & date.
You don't need to go back to Kaunas unless you want to. There are buses from Kernave to Vilnius Times and details are on the site I linked above.

Alan
Thank you so much! It is especially handy to know that we can go directly to Vilnius.

Mary
You're very welcome! :-)

1. Kaunas (city)
  2. Kernavė (city)
  3. Vilnius (city)