Danielle
Nelson, British Columbia

Danielle from Nelson, British Columbia asked

Where to visit during an 11 Day Trip in Lisbon Area with a low budget

My boyfriend and I have booked tickets into and out of Lisbon on the 17th and 28th of July.  We have a limited budget and will be travelling by means of public transit.

What we want to know is where to stay!  We would like to stay close to Lisbon as that is where we are flying in and out of, but are open to trips within a couple hours. 

We would love to do some sightseeing but we are more nature and beach oriented.  We would also prefer to avoid areas with high tourist populations as much as possible (though we understand this might be hard in July).  My boyfriend would love some access to swimmable beaches and hopefully even some snorkelling.

Which towns should we check out? Should we stay in lisbon just do day trips? or should we be jumping from town to town?  or a mix of both?

If 11 days is too much in lisbon, where should we split our time?

Our thoughts were staying in the Lisbon area and doing some day trips to Sintra and Cascais.  For some of the extra days, we were thinking about somewhere to stay further south or north? What are other peoples thoughts? 

Any info helps! Thanks in advance 

Lisbon   Portugal   Cascais   Sintra   Azenhas do Mar

Diana from Lisbon

Hey there Danielle!

11 days is never too much for Lisbon as you can alway rent a car, hop in a bus/train and travel to other wonderful cities and beaches. This country is too small and pretty not to explore it easily and properly!

Since I am travel blogging about Portugal, here are a few places that I suggest which are not far from Lisbon, based on what you like and on a budget. Feel welcome to drop me a message if you want other info. I'm always happy to help.

Enjoy Portugal! (but that goes without saying:) )

In Lisbon: I suggest two routes of the amazing Lisbonmiradouros (viewpoints): What to see in Lisbon? Start with the viewpoints!

In Lisbon: since you have plenty of time, I also suggest LxFactoryoff the tourist eye: LX Factory – The Lisbon’s Creative Corner

Two days in the idyllic town of Ericeira, not crowded and also perfect for surf lovers (I also mention how to get there)-> Blue all over Ericeira

One day in Nazaré (just 1h:30 min away from Lisbon): Nazaré is the fishermen’s village you cannot miss in Portugal

If you go to Cascais by train, on the way there are plenty of beautiful beaches, among which I recommend Carcavelos as well as Praia da Torre and Praia de São Pedro de Estoril

For all the beaches in Portugal (maps included): A Guide to some of the best beaches in Portugal

For remote beaches that will stun you: Secluded Beaches In Portugal To Check Right Now

One other cool beach right on the other side of Lisbon, Praia da Cova do Vapor less crowded too, (you can get by boat): Sheer bliss in a Portuguese fishermen’s village: Cova do Vapor

Finally, since you're more nature and beach oriented and love sightseeing, then Berlenga Grande Islandmay be your hot spot, also perfect for snorkeling:Berlengas Islands are in Europe and you haven’t visited them yet?  

For snorkeling, you should also consider Sesimbra, not far from Lisbon.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. LxFactory (attraction)
  3. Ericeira (city)
  4. Carcavelos (city)
  5. Praia da Cova do Vapor (attraction)
  6. Berlenga Grande Island (attraction)
  7. Sesimbra (city)
Sally from Los Angeles

I spent around 4 days in Lisbon. This was my itinerary (scroll to the bottom for a summary), including where I stayed. 

There are 2-3 good day trips to take in the area. If you're into nature, I hear that northern Portugal has amazing beaches / surfing. Cascais is supposed to be great for nature as well. Lisbon is great but 11 days is a lot considering the city size. Def do 1-2 days in Sintra. 

Good list of day trips http://www.planetware.com/lisbon/lisbon-day-trips-p-lisb-lissur.htm

Hope that helps!

http://www.planetware.com/lisbon/lisbon-day-trips-p-lisb-lissur.htm

Aspegik from Bairro De Alvalade, Lisboa, Portugal

If you want good beaches and sightseeing you can go to Porinhos Portinho da Arrabida, wich is in Setúbal in the outskirts of Lisbon an kill two rabbits with one stone. In a public transport maybe 1:30 hour jorney (idk exactly 'cause i drive there...) but it has some amazing landscapes! Tróia is excelent as well sometimes when you cross the Sado river you see the dolphins but you either take more time going around or have to pay the ferry...

We have good beaches also in Cascais and Costa da Caparica , but the landscape is not that good. Cascais is a nice place to go to the beach in the morning/afternoon and walk a bit after a romantic dinner though.

Hope it helps and sorry if i miss spelled something!

1. Porinhos (attraction)
  2. Tróia (attraction)
  3. Cascais (city)
  4. Costa da Caparica (city)